Johnson To Sign Guaranteed, 3-Year Rookie Deal With Rockets

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Johnson To Sign Guaranteed, 3-Year Rookie Deal With Rockets 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:32 am

Nick Johnson, the 42nd overall pick in June’s NBA draft, will sign a fully guaranteed, three-year rookie contract with the Houston Rockets, a league source told RealGM.

Johnson fell to the Rockets in the second round after his junior season at the University of Arizona, where he averaged 12.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... th-Rockets
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,487

Re: Johnson To Sign Guaranteed, 3-Year Rookie Deal With Rock 

Post#2 » by jayjaysee » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 am

Is this a big deal for some reason?

:/ Not sarcastic, just I'm sure about/ at least 10-15 other 2nd rounders will be signed as well right?
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#3 » by KiDdFrESh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Sweet. Gonna be a 2nd round steal for Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Is this a big deal for some reason?

:/ Not sarcastic, just I'm sure about/ at least 10-15 other 2nd rounders will be signed as well right?

He had a good summer league :dontknow: ?
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

bondom34 wrote:

Guys taken at 42 usually have 3 year deals with only money guaranteed in 1 year. This is a win for him, and conversely not great for Dallas.

Also, interesting that it does not have a team option 4th year, which was a contraversy with a certain former 2nd round Dallas pick.

Finally, a 3 year deal means it is using either cap space, or the (with room) MLE. So, if it is the latter, that is significant for Jameer. If it is the former, people watching their offseason closer than I have should confirm.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#6 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

Guys taken at 42 usually have 3 year deals with only money guaranteed in 1 year. This is a win for him, and conversely not great for Dallas.

Also, interesting that it does not have a team option 4th year, which was a contraversy with a certain former 2nd round Dallas pick.

Finally, a 3 year deal means it is using either cap space, or the (with room) MLE. So, if it is the latter, that is significant for Jameer. If it is the former, people watching their offseason closer than I have should confirm.

Good call. Parsons 2.0? Also interesting that it could prevent them from further signings, I guess they like him enough to run some backup PG.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#7 » by j-ragg » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:33 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

What does Dallas have to do with it?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Post#8 » by LarsV8 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:41 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Finally, a 3 year deal means it is using either cap space, or the (with room) MLE. So, if it is the latter, that is significant for Jameer. If it is the former, people watching their offseason closer than I have should confirm.

The Rockets are currently operating over the cap.

They have about 5m left of the MLE.

Wouldn't be surprised if that is used on Marion.
HartfordWhalers

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:22 pm

j-ragg wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
bondom34 wrote:He had a good summer league :dontknow: ?

What does Dallas have to do with it?

Oh wow. I contrasted it with the original Houston Parson contract, and then Johnson ended up on Dallas too. :crazy:

Sorry Houston fans.
HartfordWhalers

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:27 pm

LarsV8 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:Finally, a 3 year deal means it is using either cap space, or the (with room) MLE. So, if it is the latter, that is significant for Jameer. If it is the former, people watching their offseason closer than I have should confirm.

The Rockets are currently operating over the cap.

They have about 5m left of the MLE.

Wouldn't be surprised if that is used on Marion.

So Johnson will eat into this amount then, leaving Hou with less than the full MLE.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#11 » by Prospect Dong » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:05 am

So no team option on the final year? That's probably for the best...
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors

Return to Trades and Transactions