3 way : MIN|PHI|OKC

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

3 way : MIN|PHI|OKC 

Post#1 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 am

I came up with this based on the recent report about Thad Young/Minny ...heres the breakdown

OKC Trade: Jeremy Lamb , Kendrick Perkins (exp), Perry Jones III
OKC Receive: Nikola Pekovic , MIN 2nd rounder

PHI Trade: Thaddeus Young
PHI Receive: Jeremy Lamb, JJ Barea (exp)

MIN Trade: Nikola Pekovic , JJ Barea
MIN Receive: Thaddeus Young , Perry Jones III, Kendrick Perkins (exp)

Why for OKC?
We all know a scoring big is what is keeping them from getting over the hump and Pek fits the bill perfectly. Ibaka has served as a nice stretch 4 for them but they rarely get easy baskets down low from their bigs who are offensively limited (Adams/Perkins). Presti needs to capitalize on his 2 young assetts if he really wants to win "now".

Why for Philly?
Hinkie is obviously in tank mode and keeping a nice vet piece like Thad around is only gonna make his job alot harder. Lamb would get lots of playing time next to MCW and could potentially be their backcourt of the future to add to Noel/Embiid and most likely another top 5 pick going foward. Barea also comes off the books so its not an issue for their cap next year.

Why for MIN?
With the addition of Lavine and most likely Wiggins or Klay flip saunders can sell high on his vet big (who is arguably a top 10 center in this league) and start the re-build properly by collecting young assets moving foward. Thad and PJ3 would be nice SF/PF pieces to compliment the run n gun backcourt of Rubio/Lavine and Dieng can control the middle.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o9bcxqo

JR : Next Gen
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Re: 3 way : MIN|PHI|OKC 

Post#2 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:29 am

Not nearly enough value for Philly. They absolutely don't need to clear more money and the only prospect(s) they get is Jeremy Lamb, a guy who hasn't really shown much in two years playing with multiple All-NBA players.

I also would question who the long term center is for the Wolves in either this deal or the assumed follow-up with Kevin Love.
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,151

Post#3 » by marcush » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:40 am

I would do that for Philly but I rate Lamb a lot higher than most.

Not sure if Minny should let go of Pek for that deal though.
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#4 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:41 am

DanTown8587 wrote:Not nearly enough value for Philly. They absolutely don't need to clear more money and the only prospect(s) they get is Jeremy Lamb, a guy who hasn't really shown much in two years playing with multiple All-NBA players.

I also would question who the long term center is for the Wolves in either this deal or the assumed follow-up with Kevin Love.

This guy ..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbot-rwWnRc[/youtube]

JR : Next Gen
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,073

Post#5 » by Embiid P » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:42 am

I'm sure that some of my fellow Sixer fans will disagree with me, but I'd do this deal. Thad pretty much is what he is at this point, an undersized tweeter with no real position. Lamb, while he hasn't been great thus far, still has potential, and would be a good fit on a young, up-and-coming team like ours.
ratrac
Sixth Man
And1: 706

Post#6 » by ratrac » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm

As a Sixers fan, just like the others so far, I'm ok with this. It's the kind of deal we're hoping for, a middling prospect attached to a random contract (we can take in extra salary, if it's worth it).
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#7 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 pm

Minnesota would ultimately pass.

I know they are most likely heading for a 2-3 year rebuilding phase, but you are shorting the value of the godfather. Sure he has a long contract, but the Thunder would be the heads on favourites to win the west and Minnesota doesn't get enough value. Big men who can shoot at least 70% from the free throw line and get 18/9 are hard to find and Pekovic is on a good deal too.

They'd need more at least to consider parting with Pekovic, especially to a division rival like Oklahoma City.
Swish4
Sixth Man
And1: 374

Post#8 » by Swish4 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Minnesota can get much more than that for Pek. They easily pass.
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#9 » by dilbert719 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:42 pm

If Minny wants Young badly enough to offer Pekovic, Philadelphia could construct a deal without OKC. Perkins' expiring could be replaced with Richardson's (or, and I suspect Minny would prefer this, we could take on Barea without returning an expiring to them,) Perry Jones could be swapped out for any of our prospects not named Embiid, Noel, Saric, or Carter-Williams without much difficulty, and we wouldn't be asking for a 2nd unless they were really insistent on sending it along to us.

The Thunder are really just sucking value here, IMO.
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#10 » by Mr Sixer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Maybe Minny wants to do this because they see Dieng as the future and want to give him more minutes, while getting rid of a good player but probably an overpay in Pek. Also I am skeptical about the Thad Pekovic fit anyways so maybe Saunders imagines Thad and Dieng as the frontcourt of the future anyways
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,077

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:04 pm

I'm still not interested in Pek's deal, but I like the concept for Minny as a part of a rebuilding/retooling/getting younger effort.
Wolves_Nation
Bench Warmer
And1: 403

Post#12 » by Wolves_Nation » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:25 pm

Minnesota likely has the chance to get Thad by just moving Barea and taking one less first from the Cavs. So no to this.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Yeah - if Minnesota is rebuilding/tanking next year.. They wouldn't give up the best young asset in a Pek trade to get Thad. Thad is young and talented - but you have Philly trading him because they are rebuilding.. But then say Minnesota is rebuilding and Thad would be a nice piece.

Thad makes sense with Pek and trying to win games. Thad doesn't make sense without Pek and trying to rebuild.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#14 » by ardee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Who starts at the 2 for OKC then?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#15 » by AQuintus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Doesn't make sense for Minnesota.

No need to get Young (a win-now move) while dumping Pek (a rebuilding move) at the same time.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#16 » by Xman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 pm

If Dieng is as good as claimed then it makes sense to move Pekovic. 4 years at 12 mil per is a big chunk of change.

If I were Minny - I would offer Pek for Perkins and Adams. Then they would have a 2nd young cheap center to take minutes that has some talent. OKC would hate to give up Adams but Pek might be worth it.

or -
Philly gets - Adams, Perkins
Minny gets - TYoung, 3 mil TE
OKC get - Pekovic

Minny: gets the pf it wants while dumping $3mil.
OKC: gets the center it needs. Losing Adams hurts but Pek is better as of now.
Philly: Trades TYoung, eats an expiring Perkins to get SAdams
Note - had Budinger going to Philly in first draft but made it worse.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,796

Post#17 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:17 pm

AQuintus wrote:Doesn't make sense for Minnesota.

No need to get Young (a win-now move) while dumping Pek (a rebuilding move) at the same time.

pretty much my thinking as well. Seems like you could do better than a rental of Thad Young for Pek too. Big contracts aren't typically a problem for productive centers even with some injury history.

OKC needs to be giving more value. Lamb and PJIII, one so-so prospect and one barely a prospect are probably just enough to get someone to pay the last year of Perkins. they shouldn't get Pek effectively for free.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:09 pm

Yeah, I agree w/ MoneyTalks and Chuck. I don't really have any interest in Pek first off, so it's a no go for me unless the offer was really crazy value (like Perk/Lamb for Pek). But other than Lamb or PJ, I wouldn't think of giving Adams or Jackson for Pek, just not worth it for OKC at that point.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to Trades and Transactions