Michael Kidd-Gilchrist trade value?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Re: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist trade value? 

Post#101 » by Eoghan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:33 pm

nate33 wrote:
BrotherDave wrote:
avon barksdale wrote:At this point his ceiling looks to be tayshaun prince and that's even a stretch, he's young sure but he has not one above average offensive ability. And to question why one way offensive guys are more valuable than one way defensive guys, you can hide bad defenders you cant hide bad offensive players. I cant remember a quality ring player that was above average with no offensive skill

Dennis Rodman.

Dennis Rodman was a bench player when he was a wing. He didn't become a star-caliber player until he moved to PF where his ineffectiveness as an offensive player wasn't as much of a liability.

I thought he was referring to players on championship teams when he said ring player. My bad.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#102 » by pacers33granger » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:16 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:The shot is really the only major thing separating him from being a Prince-like player right now..[snip]..which is basically Tayshaun Prince.

Except Tayshawn Prince was that guy with much more shooting range. :)

If someone wants to say that is what they expect, fine. However it is closer to a ceiling than a floor at this point.

Of course. I think overall the comparison of MKG to Prince is a lazy one since they're different types of players. My point is more that I'd expect MKG to become a guy on the level of Prince (i.e. great starter, wing stopper, never really a star though and not able to create any offense). I think MKG will be able to excel in different ways on offense. He's much more of a slasher.

I think a better comparison would be Marion, though I don't expect him to be as good as Marion was in his prime. Still, Marion's first 5 years in the league saw him average around 52 TS%. He did also score and shoot more, but was 21 when he came into the league. And he made his jumper work later on in his career. Lance Stephenson was another guy who drastically improved his jumper. Couldn't shoot at all his first two years, but kept working at it.

I also think we saw that guys who can't shoot but still have lots of other skills can be an asset and play winning basketball with Tony Allen and Shaun Livingston. Now those careers would be disappointing for a number 2 pick, but neither really had the potential MKG has (Livingston did before the injury).

I understand your point of view and others like yours. There's a lot of question marks and it is rare to see a guy really succeed with as bad a jumper as MKG has had. I believe though that if you put him on a team like Philly that's young and will be running a lot, he could do much better on offense. He could just need to get easy buckets to help his confidence and focus, which are tough to come by for a guy like in Charlotte's offense.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,673

Post#103 » by the_process » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:50 am

eltercero wrote:
oyoyer wrote:Also, I see him in tight competition for 5th in his draft class... I would lump together Waiters, MKG, Henson, Sullinger, Barnes, and Ross; and that group comprises 5-10 (in some order) of the 2012 draft class.

Waiters is easily ahead of any of those other guys.

:lol: Waiters is lucky if he's not last out of that group, how about that?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#104 » by JDR720 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Charlotte values him a whole lot more than any other team will, he is the anchor of a top 5 defense and he is just 20
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,543

Post#105 » by yosemiteben » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Mr Sixer wrote:What I can put stock in is the fact that he is 89th in defensive win shares...

All you need to know about the value of defensive win shares as a statistic is that Al Jefferson was 7th last season.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#106 » by amcoolio » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:44 am

How can a guy with no offensive skill put up 20+ on Lebron James in a playoff game without taking jumpers?
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#107 » by Zion Wembanyama » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 am

Idk, but I'll give up any player not named Anthony Davis for MKG.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano

Return to Trades and Transactions