Tristan Thompson for....

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Tristan Thompson for.... 

Post#1 » by jowglenn » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:37 pm

So with the Cavs signing Marion I think they realistically should look at options for trading Tristan Thompson. Yes, I know Lebron wrote that letter and mentioned Thompson, but that was before Love was official (or was it... dun dun dun) and now they've signed Marion... How many minutes can Thompson even really play? He shouldn't play too much at center, and if they play small ball with lebron at PF sometimes (w/ miller at SF or allen & waiters at same time or something) then where are tristan's minutes?

Not to mention, he'll be up for an extension. Will he want to sign in Cleveland to play permanent backup minutes for the next 4 years or whatever?

His value is fine, and I think he can return something decent from a team that wants a young big man.

So the logical thing to do is to trade Thompson to meet the real needs;

1 A backup (and sometimes starting) center. Varejao is chronically injured, despite being a 13/13 solid guy when healthy. You MUST have a backup center, and it ain't Brendan Haywood - he's been on fumes for years already. You must have a backup center in the NBA, people; if Anderson Varejao is your starter, you MUST MUST MUST have a backup center.

2. Backup wing who can shoot maybe? If you lose Thompson for a center, your forward rotation is Lebron, Love, Marion, James Jones.... and you need a 5th forward (probably one better than James Jones, I would hope. A guy who can play 2 & 3 would be good.

Here are some options I see:

Enes Kanter - big body center who can definitely play a big role. Utah already has Favors & Gobert, who has looked better and better - Kanter is on the same type of deal as Thompson. They can start Thompson & Favors together and develop them rather than trying to make Favors/Kanter work (it doesn't work)

Biyombo & Gary Neal - Biyombo is a good defensive fit and Neal can shoot. Charlotte has a hole at PF (Vonleh is way aways from being an NBA player), and I think Zeller is really a C anyways. This gives them kemba/lance/mkg/tt/al with roberts, henderson, hairston, williams, zeller, vons off the bench.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Re: Tristan Thompson for.... 

Post#2 » by giberish » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:05 pm

I think Cleveland plans on playing a lot of smaller lineups (especially if/when AV is injured). They'd have Thompson and Love as the PF/C (you can debate which is which). I don't think that they fell that they need a center that badly.

Also, I don't see Thompson's value around the league as that high. To be effective at PF now, players almost exclusively have to fill one of 3 roles, none of which Thompson really fills. Either 1st/2nd option offense-creater (Thompson can't do this), stretch-4 (Thompson's range isn't close to 3-point range), or stud defender, preferably able to fill minutes at C (This is the role some fans think Thompson can fill, but Thompson really isn't big enough for this, and his defense would need major improvement).
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#3 » by NashtyNas » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:14 pm

giberish wrote:I think Cleveland plans on playing a lot of smaller lineups (especially if/when AV is injured). They'd have Thompson and Love as the PF/C (you can debate which is which). I don't think that they fell that they need a center that badly.

Also, I don't see Thompson's value around the league as that high. To be effective at PF now, players almost exclusively have to fill one of 3 roles, none of which Thompson really fills. Either 1st/2nd option offense-creater (Thompson can't do this), stretch-4 (Thompson's range isn't close to 3-point range), or stud defender, preferably able to fill minutes at C (This is the role some fans think Thompson can fill, but Thompson really isn't big enough for this, and his defense would need major improvement).

Agreed with most of what you said.
However, I think a Love/Thompson lineup COULD potentially work for stretches.
Love isn't a good defender, but he can stick with his man if he tries. Thompson CAN be a good help defender because of mobility and ability to be a shot blocker, but you're right, he needs to improve a lot to have a solid impact.

Still, it's a better option than to move him for guys like Kanter or Biyombo. Biyombo isn't much bigger than Thompson and Kanter is a much worse defender.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#4 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:42 pm

I don't really see either of those trades being exciting for the other team. Both those teams are pretty high on their young guy and have a well defined role/need. Utah needs a guy who can score from the post and Charlotte needs a mobile, shot-blocking big. So I don't see either team playing ball without a fairly substantial overpay from Cleveland.

Looking around the NBA, the best name I could add to the discussion is Mozgov. Not sure Thompson brings much that Faried and Arthur do not, but Denver does have the recent pick Nurkic as the 4th string center and so they might see an advantage to a deal.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#5 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:50 pm

I_Socrates wrote:Thompson CAN be a good help defender because of mobility and ability to be a shot blocker, but you're right, he needs to improve a lot to have a solid impact.

Thompson is a very poor shot blocker.

13/14 Blk/36:
Biyombo: 2.9
Kanter: 0.7
Thompson: 0.5

Still, it's a better option than to move him for guys like Kanter or Biyombo. Biyombo isn't much bigger than Thompson and Kanter is a much worse defender.

Both those guys would do MUCH better at manning the center position. Also, you underrate Biyombo's length if you think him and Thompson are the same size :nonono: .

(Edit: And before a bunch of Cleveland fans jump down my throat, as they like to do, Thompson does much better manning the PF position than either of those guys and is no less valuable.)
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#6 » by NashtyNas » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:32 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:Thompson CAN be a good help defender because of mobility and ability to be a shot blocker, but you're right, he needs to improve a lot to have a solid impact.

Thompson is a very poor shot blocker.

13/14 Blk/36:
Biyombo: 2.9
Kanter: 0.7
Thompson: 0.5

Both those guys would do MUCH better at manning the center position. Also, you underrate Biyombo's length if you think him and Thompson are the same size :nonono: .

(Edit: And before a bunch of Cleveland fans jump down my throat, as they like to do, Thompson does much better manning the PF position than either of those guys and is no less valuable.)

Admittedly I haven't seen much of Biyombo but let's not suggest that Kanter can do much better considering how terrible he's looked defensively. Can he do better offensively? Probably. Is that what CLE needs? I'm quite sure it's not.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#7 » by goober » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Favors would be a perfect fit next to Love, for what it's worth
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#8 » by HornetJail » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:39 am

Gary Neal and a lottery protected 1st?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#9 » by Prospect Dong » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:12 am

Bish wrote:Favors would be a perfect fit next to Love, for what it's worth

Now that's an interesting thought. Thompson, Waiters, Mem 1st for Favours?

Or does he clog the paint too much on offence for Lebron?
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#10 » by bgrep14 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:39 pm

You make this thread thinking that the Cavs have to trade Thompson... We have him under contract this year and can make a qo next year... The cavs will not trade him unless there's good value involved, besides it's not like Kevin Love has a clean sheet of health over his career... Love, Varejao, Thompson, Haywood, Kirk, and Powell is just fine... Whoever offered Gary Neal and a lottery protected first is out of his mind
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#11 » by jowglenn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:01 pm

bgrep14 wrote:You make this thread thinking that the Cavs have to trade Thompson... We have him under contract this year and can make a qo next year... The cavs will not trade him unless there's good value involved, besides it's not like Kevin Love has a clean sheet of health over his career... Love, Varejao, Thompson, Haywood, Kirk, and Powell is just fine... Whoever offered Gary Neal and a lottery protected first is out of his mind

You're right that there is a danger of Love being injured occasionally too; but frankly, Varejao is THE injury guy. He plays 30 games a season. That has been true for like 3 or 4 seasons straight.

When, not if, he goes down, who is your starting center playing 30 mpg? Brendan Haywood will turn 35 at the start of the season, and he didn't even play last year - he's basically totally washed up. If you can get spot minutes out of him, you'll be happy with that.

Kirk? Powell? WHO? Precisely.

Maybe I'm wrong, and Thompson & Love can play C enough without being utter defensive sieves. But I doubt it.

You're right, you can give him the QO next year - but he won't take it. He'll be a RFA and will get some decent offer from somewhere - even if it's like, 4 years, 40 million - can you pay him that while you're already paying Lebron & Love 20 million each? I really don't think so.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#12 » by goober » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:
Bish wrote:Favors would be a perfect fit next to Love, for what it's worth

Now that's an interesting thought. Thompson, Waiters, Mem 1st for Favours?

Or does he clog the paint too much on offence for Lebron?

Offer is intriguing but I wouldn't take it. Favors has said multiple times how Utah is his home and that he wants to stay here for his career. (Could be lying but I like to give the benefit of the doubt) and it's really nice to get loyalty from players especially for our market. It's probably a very valuable thing to the Jazz franchise
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#13 » by bgrep14 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:04 pm

jowglenn wrote:
bgrep14 wrote:You make this thread thinking that the Cavs have to trade Thompson... We have him under contract this year and can make a qo next year... The cavs will not trade him unless there's good value involved, besides it's not like Kevin Love has a clean sheet of health over his career... Love, Varejao, Thompson, Haywood, Kirk, and Powell is just fine... Whoever offered Gary Neal and a lottery protected first is out of his mind

You're right that there is a danger of Love being injured occasionally too; but frankly, Varejao is THE injury guy. He plays 30 games a season. That has been true for like 3 or 4 seasons straight.

When, not if, he goes down, who is your starting center playing 30 mpg? Brendan Haywood will turn 35 at the start of the season, and he didn't even play last year - he's basically totally washed up. If you can get spot minutes out of him, you'll be happy with that.

Kirk? Powell? WHO? Precisely.

Maybe I'm wrong, and Thompson & Love can play C enough without being utter defensive sieves. But I doubt it.

You're right, you can give him the QO next year - but he won't take it. He'll be a RFA and will get some decent offer from somewhere - even if it's like, 4 years, 40 million - can you pay him that while you're already paying Lebron & Love 20 million each? I really don't think so.

No one is giving tristan thompson 4 years 40 million... I would really like to do somekind of Monroe for Thompson trade
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#14 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:08 pm

If Varejao goes down with an injury, I think Thompson can play a lot of minutes at the 5. A Love/Thompson combination will not be out-rebounded, and spacing should not be much of an issue. So the big question is whether or not the team defense is clicking enough to cover for the lack of above average individual defense in the front court.

As others have stated, Cleveland will only move Thompson for a clear upgrade at the 5. The fact of the matter is that likely will not happen. Cleveland should stand pat, and make a move at the deadline if there is a good opportunity. Hell, Thompson is still only 23 years old, so I would rather see where he has improved before jettisoning him off.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#15 » by damecurry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 pm

giberish wrote:I think Cleveland plans on playing a lot of smaller lineups (especially if/when AV is injured). They'd have Thompson and Love as the PF/C (you can debate which is which). I don't think that they fell that they need a center that badly.

Man I hope cavs just hold on to TT and use him/love/AV as their center rotation. Because when they come up against Noah and the bulls they'll get absolutely slaughtered. I don't think people are giving nearly enough credence to how much better defenders bosh/wade were over love/Irving/waiters. Folks thought Lebron was relied on too much defensively in miami!? He's gonna be exhausted after 20 games with this lineup in Cleveland, literally everything on D is gonna be on him.
jeeph
Senior
And1: 557

Post#16 » by jeeph » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:42 pm

I don't see Thompson being moved for three major reasons.

One is he a lunch pail player. He is more than willing to do the dirty work which is almost exclusively playing without the ball. On the Cavs roster they would prefer bigs that play better when they don't have the ball, floor spacing guys or great passers. So the fact that he isn't a go to guy actually helps his value for the Cavs.

Two is his playing style and youth. He doesn't get hurt and could log 30+ minutes night in and night out if needed. The only big the Cavs have that can be depended on to play most of the season every season.

Third is he is the only athletic big they have. When playing against teams that have bigs that are pure scorers, (Bosh, Gasol, LMA, Griffen, ect...) those players generally have the most issues with someone that keeps up or reacts fast enough to keep up with them. Size or length isn't as much of an issue with them as much as playing someone that they can't continuously beat them to the spot. Without Thompson the Cavs would be left with slow footed Andy, Love and Haywood.

Now the Cavs fans have given up any aspirations that he has all star potential. He's probably never going to be a top 10 big in the league. But he has gotten better every year and still has another 5 years or so of getting better before he hits his prime. If he can turn into another Varajoa in effectiveness then that would be better than most players and a perfect fit for need.

He can't guard true 5's but can hold his own against 4/5's. So against the majority of the league he would be just fine playing center minutes. Not that he would win those match ups, but shouldn't be a huge mismatch that costs the team games.

The Cavs need another 5 for certain match ups and injury purposes but trading Thompson for one would create another problem. They would be better filling that hole temporarily another way or just waiting for next year to use Haywood's contract in a trade or sign-n-trade to fill that hole.

A Thompson trade would have to be a clear win for it to be considered at the moment, and he doesn't hold the same value for most teams (only teams that have clear superstar bigs is where he has the most value) that he has with the Cavs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:59 pm

I'd have tepid interest in a TT for Biyombo trade. That's it. I don't know why people keep suggesting Kanter for the Cavs. He's exactly what they don't need.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#18 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:34 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Looking around the NBA, the best name I could add to the discussion is Mozgov. Not sure Thompson brings much that Faried and Arthur do not, but Denver does have the recent pick Nurkic as the 4th string center and so they might see an advantage to a deal.

Haha. Looks like Cleveland also thought he would be a good target. Looks like Denver is playing hardball tho.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#19 » by youngthegiant » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:40 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'd have tepid interest in a TT for Biyombo trade. That's it. I don't know why people keep suggesting Kanter for the Cavs. He's exactly what they don't need.
LOL Kanter has proven a lot more than Biyombo
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#20 » by pacers33granger » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:47 pm

youngthegiant wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'd have tepid interest in a TT for Biyombo trade. That's it. I don't know why people keep suggesting Kanter for the Cavs. He's exactly what they don't need.
LOL Kanter has proven a lot more than Biyombo

Not really, they've both shown flashes but not much more. The Cavs have no need for Kanter at all. They need a defensive big, which is exactly what Biz is and what Kanter is not. I'm sure Kanter will cost more to resign too.

Return to Trades and Transactions