(Official?) Thad Young to Wolves for Shved, LRMAM & MIA 1st

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

(Official?) Thad Young to Wolves for Shved, LRMAM & MIA 1st 

Post#1 » by jowglenn » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 am

Big news today - the Thad Young to Minnesota deal is for real, and it does not involve Anthony Bennett going to Philadelphia.

The story goes that it is Thad Young to Minny, and Shved, LRMAM and the 2015 MIA 1st (sent from CLE in the Love deal) to Philly.

For Minnesota: This is better than trading Bennett, that's for sure. I am glad they are keeping Bennett while getting Young at the same time. This will allow Bennett to come off the bench and earn his minutes, while fielding a relatively decent team - Rubio/Martin/Brewer/Young/Pekovic with Barea, Wiggins, Lavine, Mohammed, Budinger, Bennett, Dieng off the bench (these lineups may change, especially if Wiggins impresses his way into the starting lineup). Yes, they're giving up a pick, but Young is a solid two-way player who has a good reputation and is a solid veteran still just in his prime. It is interesting that they are not going full-on tank mode; they are trading a 2015 1st for a guy who will help them win games, instead of tearing it down and losing as much as possible. This is probably good, as it keeps a positive winning attitude on the team.

For Philadelphia: They probably wanted Bennett, but Minnesota drove a hard bargain. Shved is mostly not useful, but he did have his moments. LRMAM is a mid-size veteran contract, a guy who can play big minutes for them. At some point they'll probably re-trade him, but for now, he's one of their starters. The Miami 2015 1st is the real gem here - an injury to Wade or Bosh, and that could end up being a decent pick in the teens quite easily. Smart move to get a 1st for Young while they can.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,135

Re: (Official?) Thad Young to Wolves for Shved, LRMAM & MIA 

Post#2 » by GopherIt! » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02 am

Wolves needed a starting PF today.

Miami is not dead yet especially in the LEast. They could be anywhere from the 4-7 seed depending on health but they will be in the playoffs. That pick will likely be in the 16-21 range.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#3 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 am

I think this will end up with wolves letting T Young leave in FA and with the "I wish we had a mid first round pick" feeling as draft day approaches.
donaldduck
Junior
And1: 47

Post#4 » by donaldduck » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 am

Flip has impressed me with the way he has handled the 'Love' situation. Love, Shved, LRMAM and a first for Wiggins, Bennett and Young is a nice get.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#5 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 am

Good move for the 76ers getting fillers and another decent pick.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#6 » by giberish » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:24 am

For Minny, there's some merit in adding Young to give them a solid starter at PF. They've got enough youth - some with high upside - that they don't need to tank for a high pick, putting a structure so their youth can learn to play on a normal team has value.

I'd rather have dealt Bennett though. The Miami 1st could be quite high (possibly even higher than Minny's own pick this year) and I don't see Bennett as that valuable. I'd rather have LRMAM for this year and the Miami 1st for later.

For Philly this looks good. No long-term contracts and a possible lotto pick (and near certain top-20 pick).
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#7 » by Mykhyn » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:29 am

Had a feeling they'd get LRMAM.

He's Embiid's mentor. Can't think of better filler.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#8 » by Prospect Dong » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:17 am

The refusal to do a tear down is pretty odd to me. They've got enough good pieces that it might only have to be a one year job (depending on what happens to the west's reigning powers as they continue to age) but a lottery team that loses a top-10 player probably needs to enter an asset accumulation phase even if they got a top-5 prospect back for him. Giving up a pick before they even see what they have in Wiggins, Bennet and Levine seems really premature to me.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Doddage
Veteran
And1: 1,852

Post#9 » by Doddage » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:39 am

I'd rather have the 1st than one year of Thad, given the position Minny is in.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#10 » by Foshan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 am

Anyone know if their is protection on the pick?
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#11 » by winter_mute_13 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:49 am

The Love deal isn't official yet, so how can Minny be trading Miami's pick already?

This either has to be part of the Love trade, or will occur after the Love trade.
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#12 » by Takingbaconback » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:37 am

Foshan wrote:Anyone know if their is protection on the pick?

top 10 protected.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#13 » by Foshan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 am

Takingbaconback wrote:

top 10 protected.

Cool. Now just to cheer for the wheels to come off in Miami! (Not wishing injury on their players... I'm good with a dramatic meltdown where Wade punches Deng and Bosh cries and they all refuse to play or something...)

:D
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#14 » by QRich3 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:33 am

Takingbaconback wrote:I think this will end up with wolves letting T Young leave in FA and with the "I wish we had a mid first round pick" feeling as draft day approaches.

Where do you see him going to though? only teams I can think of that would actually give Thad playing time are the Rockets, Nets, Suns and maybe the Kings if they get rid of their logjam at PF. I don't see Houston making a multi year offer that's gonna take their capspace. The Nets don't have any space to offer him anything. The Suns and Kings, if they even have the cap or the interest in him, wouldn't be that much better of a situation than the Wolves. And even if they were, they probably wouldn't want to match what the Wolves can offer in salary.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#15 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:36 pm

Foshan wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:

top 10 protected.

Cool. Now just to cheer for the wheels to come off in Miami! (Not wishing injury on their players... I'm good with a dramatic meltdown where Wade punches Deng and Bosh cries and they all refuse to play or something...)

I laughed.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,525

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:59 pm

If this is the deal...

-- It looks fair value to me.
-- However not all that exciting (not really disappointing either, I have Bennett ranked better then the Mia first but not tremendously so)
-- Still holding out hope it switches to the Mem pick or GRIII is a toss in.
-- Philly just increased their cap room. Yes. So, why did they not do the Lin deal? A hou first would look so nice as well. This really makes it look like a deadline Amare deal could happen, which is sad.
-- It is going to be really interesting to see if Minnesota fans like it or dislike it if Thad plays well and gets most of the pf minutes over Bennett
-- Even if Thad opts out, Minn should have ~mle room only next summer (which isn't 20m regardless how often people say it), meaning the best chance Minn will have in free agency at a 'good' player will be resigning Thad.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,712

Post#17 » by the_process » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Let's assume MIA finishes 5th seed East, 18th pick. Seeing as how they also save 1.7m that's good value for Thad, if completely underwhelming. Maybe it's just the high bar set with the Noel and Saric trades, idk.

If, however, Hartford is right and this sets up a deadline deal where they take STAT and get some marginal asset like a future 2nd just to hit the salary floor and avoid paying out the bonuses to everyone on the roster... then this trade is bad. Hoarding cap space like no other to only use it to buy out the likes of Danny Granger and STAT is such a huge opportunity wasted. Because I don't think they'll be going FA's next year, either, so taking bad two year deals for enhanced returns should be the M.O. not just using it at the last second to save salary paid. But maybe that is the only way ownership allowed Hinkie to tank. :dontknow: And on that line of thinking why mega tank this year?!? The draft isn't nearly as deep and it's all bigs at the top save Hezonja and Johnson. Assuming those two make it through the year still considered top prospects.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,518

Post#18 » by shrink » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Foshan wrote:
Takingbaconback wrote:

top 10 protected.

It's only Top 10 protected for two years, and then it's completely unprotected.

I think there is a legitimate chance that those wheels do come off. Wade is not the picture of health any more, and while Bosh is under-rated, he can't lead that team to the playoffs without help, even in the East. MIA also locked up major money longterm into those two guys, so I don't think it's beyond comprehension that circumstances could turn this into a completely unprotected pick in 2017.

i still prefer your scenario though to some boring injury, though.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#19 » by Mr Sixer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:49 pm

oyoyer wrote:Let's assume MIA finishes 5th seed East, 18th pick. Seeing as how they also save 1.7m that's good value for Thad, if completely underwhelming. Maybe it's just the high bar set with the Noel and Saric trades, idk.

If, however, Hartford is right and this sets up a deadline deal where they take STAT and get some marginal asset like a future 2nd just to hit the salary floor and avoid paying out the bonuses to everyone on the roster... then this trade is bad. Hoarding cap space like no other to only use it to buy out the likes of Danny Granger and STAT is such a huge opportunity wasted. Because I don't think they'll be going FA's next year, either, so taking bad two year deals for enhanced returns should be the M.O. not just using it at the last second to save salary paid. But maybe that is the only way ownership allowed Hinkie to tank. :dontknow: And on that line of thinking why mega tank this year?!? The draft isn't nearly as deep and it's all bigs at the top save Hezonja and Johnson. Assuming those two make it through the year still considered top prospects.

There's always value in mega tanking if we're not trying to make the playoffs. Hinkie will be able to get some serious value out of a tradedown if he has a number 1 overall and wants to pick up a wing like Hezonja instead.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:57 pm

donaldduck wrote:Flip has impressed me with the way he has handled the 'Love' situation. Love, Shved, LRMAM and a first for Wiggins, Bennett and Young is a nice get.

I wouldn't even hold the 1st against Minnesota as it's really coming from Cleveland.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Trades and Transactions