Rockets < > TWolves

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Rockets < > TWolves 

Post#1 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:57 am

Houston uses Lin's TPE to absorb JJ Barea and Ronny Turiaf.
Minny gets I.Cannan via their TPE.

Rockets could use Barea to replace Lin's role but Turiaf is the main reason they make the trade because they could use a vet reserve center behind Howard. Both guys are expiring totaling at 6 mil.

Wolves just complete a salary dump of Barea using Turiaf as a sweetener.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Rockets < > TWolves 

Post#2 » by loserX » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:22 am

Turiaf isn't much of a sweetener for taking Barea. I have to think Houston could get guys to fit those roles more cheaply.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,834

Post#3 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:34 am

Not interested in OPs deal, but I know Morey loves him some Kevin Martin.
NewWolvesOrder
Head Coach
And1: 1,262

Post#4 » by NewWolvesOrder » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:38 am

LarsV8 wrote:Not interested in OPs deal, but I know Morey loves him some Kevin Martin.

Would he take on his contract though?
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#5 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:43 am

Our insiders are hinting at the Rockets making a play for a PG here shortly (Rondo, Dragic, Bledsoe, or Rubio).

If they land one of those guys, and the TPE is intact, I think Morey would take on Martin. The player option sucks, but there are ways around that.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,376

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:47 am

LarsV8 wrote:Our insiders are hinting at the Rockets making a play for a PG here shortly (Rondo, Dragic, Bledsoe, or Rubio).

If they land one of those guys, and the TPE is intact, I think Morey would take on Martin. The player option sucks, but there are ways around that.

Well.. Those players are really high level guys..

But beyond that..

If the team actually has one of those four PG's, Harden, Ariza, Howard.. Why does the PO for Martin suck? Cap space is nonexistent..depth is below questionable.. So why not?
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#7 » by jscott » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 am

LarsV8 wrote:Our insiders are hinting at the Rockets making a play for a PG here shortly (Rondo, Dragic, Bledsoe, or Rubio).

You can probably cross Rubio off that list.

Wolves aren't trading him with his popularity and the new make up of the team. It's more suited for his style.
Northern hoops
Senior
And1: 217

Post#8 » by Northern hoops » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:06 am

What assets do you have to obtain one of them?
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#9 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:13 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Well.. Those players are really high level guys..

But beyond that..

If the team actually has one of those four PG's, Harden, Ariza, Howard.. Why does the PO for Martin suck? Cap space is nonexistent..depth is below questionable.. So why not?

Morey is greedy and is going to put himself in a position for Durant. I imagine a Bledsoe deal is max dollars for two years. All the others are not long term contracts.

jscott wrote:You can probably cross Rubio off that list.

Wolves aren't trading him with his popularity and the new make up of the team. It's more suited for his style.

Northern hoops wrote:What assets do you have to obtain one of them?

Heres what we were told:

Minny wants DMo/Pellies pick/protected first/Johnson +
Ralnor
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 544

Post#10 » by Ralnor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:23 am

LarsV8 wrote:

This is what Flip wants from Rockets for Rubio?
Takingbaconback
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Post#11 » by Takingbaconback » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:31 am

Hopping4Wiggins wrote:
LarsV8 wrote:

Nah dude, that's what Rockets have to offer Minnesota or any of the other 3 teams. That is not a good package at all for Minny. Why would they need Dmo or Nick Johnson when they already got T Young/Bennett/Pek/Dieng/Turiaf and a buncha wings? Pelicans pick and Rockets pick both suck. That package probably won't even get them Eric Bledsoe with his tumultuous situation. They screwed the pooch with that Bosh chase when they gave away a lot of assets for very little value. They don't have any more good assets left to acquire those type of players.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,376

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:33 am

LarsV8 wrote:
Morey is greedy and is going to put himself in a position for Durant. I imagine a Bledsoe deal is max dollars for two years. All the others are not long term contracts.

So much there..

1 - Now it's Durant? So the plan is to have 43-44 mil committed to Howard/Harden that offseason and dump Ariza, let all of Jones/D-Mo/Bev walk..along with anyone else not on a rookie deal.. then offer Durant 6-10 million less than his max? (pretending the salary cap goes up to an amazing 70 million? - with cap holds on top of 43-44) - Or will Howard be taking a ten million dollar pay cut? None of that seems at all likely. Adding a Jeff Teague level player seems a lot more likely.

Howard is a team option that year, Harden is guaranteed, and Ariza is guaranteed. If they did trade everyone for a one year rental of Rondo/Dragic - with no plans of resigning him just in case they could get Durant or Howard to take a paycut.. Morey would look worse than he did this offseason.

And yeah - I don't see anyway Minnesota actually considers that offer. That protection on pick is pretty and all - but that Pelicans team is pretty good today and should be getting much/much better over the next few years. That last + sign probably has to be the rest of the Rockets assets. Which still shouldn't be enough because sometimes 6-7 quarters don't equal a dollar. Even if that dollar is flawed and not respected, Rubio has to be considered a dollar by Minnesota. He's their ownerships meal ticket. Posters/billboards of him and Wiggins should already be printing.

'And that's ignoring that he is actually really good at basketball :/
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#13 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 am

Hopping4Wiggins wrote:

Supposed "insider" info. TWIW

jayjaysee wrote:

So much there..

1 - Now it's Durant? So the plan is to have 43-44 mil committed to Howard/Harden that offseason and dump Ariza, let all of Jones/D-Mo/Bev walk..along with anyone else not on a rookie deal.. then offer Durant 6-10 million less than his max? (pretending the salary cap goes up to an amazing 70 million? - with cap holds on top of 43-44) - Or will Howard be taking a ten million dollar pay cut? None of that seems at all likely. Adding a Jeff Teague level player seems a lot more likely.

Howard is a team option that year, Harden is guaranteed, and Ariza is guaranteed. If they did trade everyone for a one year rental of Rondo/Dragic - with no plans of resigning him just in case they could get Durant or Howard to take a paycut.. Morey would look worse than he did this offseason.

70 million, try 80 million salary cap easily.

jayjaysee wrote:And yeah - I don't see anyway Minnesota actually considers that offer. That protection on pick is pretty and all - but that Pelicans team is pretty good today and should be getting much/much better over the next few years. That last + sign probably has to be the rest of the Rockets assets. Which still shouldn't be enough because sometimes 6-7 quarters don't equal a dollar. Even if that dollar is flawed and not respected, Rubio has to be considered a dollar by Minnesota. He's their ownerships meal ticket. Posters/billboards of him and Wiggins should already be printing.

'And that's ignoring that he is actually really good at basketball :/

Whatever, feel free to believe whatever you want.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#14 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:01 am

How does Houston come up with the salary needed to trade for Bledsoe..or Rondo?
And what would be the point if the plan is to shed every single piece of salary to form a Harden, Durant, Howard trio.

Seems we heard the same things about this past summer.
Lofty goals but perhaps not realistic, while the best years of Harden and Howard are best wasted. Plus I think players might be weary go to Houston with their asset only status.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#15 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:40 am

Martin (TPE) + Barea for Canaan + Gee + Pelicans 1st Owed
My Main Man
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,491

Post#16 » by My Main Man » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:44 am

The Wolves would be looking to free up roster space to sign GRIII. They're not trading Rubio for several different players. They can't.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#17 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:15 am

LarsV8 wrote:
Heres what we were told:

Are you sure this didn't change after the Love deal went through? What use would they have for expiring DMo with Pek and Dieng, and what use for Johnson with Bennett/Thad? I'm not sure that Flip would want to massively build up prospects at 2 positions and forsake the rest of the roster.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#18 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:18 am

Trader_Joe wrote:How does Houston come up with the salary needed to trade for Bledsoe..or Rondo?
And what would be the point if the plan is to shed every single piece of salary to form a Harden, Durant, Howard trio.

Rockets are currently holding onto numerous smaller non guaranteed contracts to make it work for Rondo/Bledsoe. The point would be to be as competitive as possible until the next stage.

Trader_Joe wrote:Seems we heard the same things about this past summer.
Lofty goals but perhaps not realistic, while the best years of Harden and Howard are best wasted. Plus I think players might be weary go to Houston with their asset only status.

Realistic or not, its hard to win in this league without taking big risks.
LarsV8
General Manager

Post#19 » by LarsV8 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Are you sure this didn't change after the Love deal went through? What use would they have for expiring DMo with Pek and Dieng, and what use for Johnson with Bennett/Thad? I'm not sure that Flip would want to massively build up prospects at 2 positions and forsake the rest of the roster.

No idea, thats the only tiny piece of info given.

We will see what pans out with Minny going forward.
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 909

Post#20 » by Saltine » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:30 am

This is all Houston nonsense. Rubio isn't going anywhere.

Return to Trades and Transactions