LAC/Phi: Offsetting the hard cap (Delfino/Bullock dump)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,483

LAC/Phi: Offsetting the hard cap (Delfino/Bullock dump) 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:19 pm

To Phi: Delfino (3.25m will be waived), Bullock (the incentive)
To LAC: top 50 protected 2nd rounder (cap space)

Reasons:
LAC saves themselves 3 years of a 1m cap hit, and ends up with a 3.25m TPE and the ability to use it all to add to their roster. This frees up space, as the team is at the hardcap already, and only at the cost of a guy that played less then 400 minutes with a 46% ts%.

Philly gets a guy who could just start there, as evidenced by his 46% ts. Uses cap space to take a flier ona guy who at 23, would be one of the teams vets.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: LAC/Phi: Offsetting the hard cap (Delfino/Bullock dump) 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:40 pm

What does the Clippers' roster spot situation look like? I just worry that they'll get rid of two guys and then have to go and sign two guys (or trade for two different guys).
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Both sides should do a deal like this. Philly gets to test Bullock at SG, which a spot that they clearly have a need at. LAC obviously clears some space.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:44 pm

TBH, I really think the Clippers should look to Minnesota for Brewer.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,350

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:09 pm

I mostly like it. I guess my question would be what assets do the Clippers still have left to add to that TPE to bring in a decent low-cost wing?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,505

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:13 pm

I think the Dudley trade was a sign that Bullock is ready for minutes this season, or at least I hope so.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HartfordWhalers

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I mostly like it. I guess my question would be what assets do the Clippers still have left to add to that TPE to bring in a decent low-cost wing?

If they wanted an extra big, I could include Vornado, who otherwise might be one of the top 5-6 Sixers.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,639

Post#8 » by Smitty731 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:08 pm

On these types of trades, I like imagine Hinkie sits in his office, the phone rings, a GM says, "What do I have to add to player X to get you to eat his contract?" and an evil grin spreads across Hinkie's face.

There is basically no contract the 76ers couldn't eat this year without having to worry about it. I'm not a 76ers fan, but what they are doing fascinates me like no other team in the league. I can't wait to see how this all plays out in another 2-3 years. For Hinkie's sake, I hope he's around to see it too.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#9 » by ckchen » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Frankly, if LAC was that concerned about freeing up cap space - they could've made the Dudley with Philly to begin with rather than try to engineer some kind of secondary after-the-fact trade to dump the 2 guys they just got in the deal.
HartfordWhalers

Post#10 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 pm

ckchen wrote:Frankly, if LAC was that concerned about freeing up cap space - they could've made the Dudley with Philly to begin with rather than try to engineer some kind of secondary after-the-fact trade to dump the 2 guys they just got in the deal.

1) Bullock wasn't in that trade, the decent center at 1.5m was.
2) Do you really think Hinkie would have taken on 2 years salary for a late 1st and given up a so so prospect and a late 2nd? I don't, his track record seems pretty clear that wouldn't have done it for him.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#11 » by ejftw » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:41 pm

Why would the Clippers give up a first to get rid of Dudley, to turn around and trade one of the remaining two small forwards, who is still young and could be a solid 3&D guy for years, to dump a contract that is 80% insured (from what I've read), that they could just stretch and sign Douglas-Roberts for the min?
HartfordWhalers

Post#12 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:44 pm

ejftw wrote:Why would the Clippers give up a first to get rid of Dudley, to turn around and trade one of the remaining two small forwards, who is still young and could be a solid 3&D guy for years, to dump a contract that is 80% insured (from what I've read), that they could just stretch and sign Douglas-Roberts for the min?

Cause stretching him leaves you with an (over) 1m cap hit for 3 years, and Bullock has looked horrible so far?

30.1% 3 point shooting and a negative DRAPM isn't the most promising start for a 3 and D guy, nor is his 6.7 PER.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,673

Post#13 » by dorkestra » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:49 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
ckchen wrote:Frankly, if LAC was that concerned about freeing up cap space - they could've made the Dudley with Philly to begin with rather than try to engineer some kind of secondary after-the-fact trade to dump the 2 guys they just got in the deal.

2) Do you really think Hinkie would have taken on 2 years salary for a late 1st and given up a so so prospect and a late 2nd? I don't, his track record seems pretty clear that wouldn't have done it for him.

im not arguing raduljica's worth, but it has been reported, not confirmed, that LA plans to waive him.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#14 » by ckchen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:53 am

dorkestra wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

im not arguing raduljica's worth, but it has been reported, not confirmed, that LA plans to waive him.

Basically my point. I'm not saying that the 1st rounder would've been enough to absorb Dudley, but they probably could've sweetened it somehow (whether with Bullock or something else) - and then just had straight up cap space instead of 2 guys who they are just going to waive.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#15 » by TheNewEra » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:25 pm

No way clips should even consider this deal. Should be looking to flip Wilcox for a SF prospect.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#16 » by giberish » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:58 pm

I just have a hard time believing that the Clippers couldn't have moved Dudley + future 1st for nothing. He's just not making that much money.

Philly really wouldn't have taken Dudley + a 1st for cap space? Is it because they're afraid Dudley would help them win too much? (it certainly isn't because they can expect more return for their cap space, no one can be that delusional at this point) Even if Philly declines, wouldn't Utah or someone else take the deal?

You could even make it a 3-team deal, with Dudley to Detroit for Jerebko (Dudley probably becomes the best SF option on the team), Jerebko's EC + LAC 1st to Philly for cap space and a spare 2nd or two (they've got to have spares at this point).

This leads me to believe that the Clippers either value Raduljica as cheap C depth, expect Delfino to be a rotation player, or made a really stupid trade.

Return to Trades and Transactions