sac & den

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

fluffhead
Junior
And1: 33

sac & den 

Post#1 » by fluffhead » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:56 pm

SAC: r.gay, b.mclemore, d.williams for j.mcgee, gallo, aa
DEN: mcgee, gallo, aa for gay, mclemore, williams

sac gets to put a defensive center next to cousins, gallo if healthy is a very solid 3 and aa is a good defensive sg
den gets a borderline all star in gay and the potential of mclemore
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Re: sac & den 

Post#2 » by Laimbeer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Denver has far less interest in acquiring Gay than Sacramento does in keeping him. Maybe Williams and McLemore for McGee?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,526

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:24 pm

I see pluses and minuses on both sides. McGee+Cousins just seems like a weird combo that may or may not work (Though he'd be an excellent backup), and if Denver likes McLemore enough, then this could have some legs. Depends on how much they like Gallo, really, and if Denver would rather have cap space than Gallinari at $10M+ (which I probably would). Afflalo, Gay, and Williams all expire, so long-term this really doesn't have a big impact. I like it for Sacramento if Gallinari's healthy- Afflalo makes sense for them. Gallo is a mid-tier SF and a better fit than Gay.

Cousins/McGee
Thompson/Landry/[McGee]
Gallinari/[Afflalo]
Afflalo/Stauskas
Collison/McCallum

If they're all healthy, they could be competitive- maybe not a playoff team, but that's still an improvement.

Mozgov/Hickson/Nurkic
Faried/Williams
Gay/[Chandler]
Chandler/McLemore/Foye
Lawson/Robinson

That might or might not be a playoff team- but I'd be more interested in what they do with the 2015 cap space they get from the deal
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#4 » by blind prophet » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:48 pm

No thanks from Sacramento.

We'd want Landry or Thompson moved out, and not going to get an a possible "potential" piece like Mclemore from this.

Williams + Thompson for Javale and maybe we bite.

Only reason I see Denver taking this would be to save a dime a season later, so don't think this will work for either side.
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#5 » by Jaseface » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:45 pm

I say no to this, quickly, if I'm Sacramento. There is a lot of upside in McLemore and Williams, and Gay is an overpaid, but very useful player. Afflalo is nice, but not for this package.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:14 am

blind prophet wrote:Williams + Thompson for Javale and maybe we bite.

I was thinking the same thing. Thompson probably helps Denver as much as McGee did there, and this way, they get to save around $6m next season, though would have to either pay the $2.65m guarantee to waive him in the third year, or keep him at $6.8m in the third year.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#7 » by blind prophet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:29 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Williams + Thompson for Javale and maybe we bite.

I was thinking the same thing. Thompson probably helps Denver as much as McGee did there, and this way, they get to save around $6m next season, though would have to either pay the $2.65m guarantee to waive him in the third year, or keep him at $6.8m in the third year.

I'd take that deal from the Kings perspective because we have cap room next season. Would be an experiment to see how well Cousins could play with most of his minutes at the 4 with a rim protector behind him.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#8 » by Kings2013 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:15 am

Laimbeer wrote:Denver has far less interest in acquiring Gay than Sacramento does in keeping him. Maybe Williams and McLemore for McGee?

We are interested in keeping Gay so I agree that part should be left out. Javale would be interesting though in a separate deal, though I personally don't know if there would be the fit for either side and what his value is now. Williams and McLemore are still positive value
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:11 am

Certainly don't Denver would do this either
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,837

Post#10 » by Domejandro » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Whoa whoa who, Sacramento says no? They come away with a huge theft! Gallinari for Gay, Afflalo for McLemore and McGee for Williams? That kind is criminal, and people are shooting it down. No way Denver would ever do that. People are mixed up in the worst ways in this thread.
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#11 » by Big Jaffa » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:09 pm

McGee has a pretty heavy contract, is taking a worrying amount of time to come back from the knee injury, he was never a skills player to start with, a team which is trying to do well won't take him. A team with no intention to win this season? sure.
Rip City
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,568

Post#12 » by nomansland » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:26 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Certainly don't Denver would do this either

Agreed.

Why would Denver do this?
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#13 » by nomansland » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:27 pm

Big Jaffa wrote:McGee has a pretty heavy contract, is taking a worrying amount of time to come back from the knee injury, he was never a skills player to start with, a team which is trying to do well won't take him. A team with no intention to win this season? sure.

He has 2 years at $12 million. It'll be over before you know it. And he had a whole year off to nurse the knee injury. He should be fine.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:51 pm

nomansland wrote:
Big Jaffa wrote:McGee has a pretty heavy contract, is taking a worrying amount of time to come back from the knee injury, he was never a skills player to start with, a team which is trying to do well won't take him. A team with no intention to win this season? sure.

He has 2 years at $12 million. It'll be over before you know it. And he had a whole year off to nurse the knee injury. He should be fine.

With the improved play of Mozgov as well as the drafting of Nurkic, McGee has to see his position is in jeopardy. I can see him finally putting it together knowing his future is being questioned. There are teams out there that are in need of a C with his skills, but he has to start producing to get that next contract, he's beyond that "potential" label now, it 's put up or shut up IMO.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#15 » by DaFan334 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Wasn't a knee injury, it was a stress fracture in his tibia. I will say its slightly concerning that it did him out a full year, but I would take a recovery from a broken bone over a knee injury any day. Rather large difference there.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#16 » by becorz » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Domejandro wrote:Whoa whoa who, Sacramento says no? They come away with a huge theft! Gallinari for Gay, Afflalo for McLemore and McGee for Williams? That kind is criminal, and people are shooting it down. No way Denver would ever do that. People are mixed up in the worst ways in this thread.

Galinari for Gay
I know this is not likely to be a popular opinion around these parts, but are we ready to say that Galinari, coming off two ACL surgeries, at $12 million a year for two more years, is worth more than Rudy Gay? Gay might be the better player right now and he has a more flexible contract...

Afflalo for McLemore
The trade of Afflalo to Denver shows that he doesn't have as much value as people here think. If the Kings traded McLemore for Evan Fournier and a late second rounder during the draft, they would have been destroyed by the media.

Williams for McGee
I'd rather have Williams on a guaranteed contract than McGee's contract. If the Nuggets could legally trade McGee for Williams, they would do that in a heartbeat.
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#17 » by nomansland » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:43 pm

becorz wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Whoa whoa who, Sacramento says no? They come away with a huge theft! Gallinari for Gay, Afflalo for McLemore and McGee for Williams? That kind is criminal, and people are shooting it down. No way Denver would ever do that. People are mixed up in the worst ways in this thread.

Galinari for Gay
I know this is not likely to be a popular opinion around these parts, but are we ready to say that Galinari, coming off two ACL surgeries, at $12 million a year for two more years, is worth more than Rudy Gay? Gay might be the better player right now and he has a more flexible contract...

Afflalo for McLemore
The trade of Afflalo to Denver shows that he doesn't have as much value as people here think. If the Kings traded McLemore for Evan Fournier and a late second rounder during the draft, they would have been destroyed by the media.

Williams for McGee
I'd rather have Williams on a guaranteed contract than McGee's contract. If the Nuggets could legally trade McGee for Williams, they would do that in a heartbeat.

Gallo has injury concerns, true. But his salary is $10.8m and $11.5m for the next 2 years, not $12m, and he's a much better all around player than Gay. Better defender, better playmaker, more willing passer, and clutch scorer. The only thing Gay is better at is all-around scoring, but the Nugs don't really need that. I'd still take Gallo at that salary with the injury concerns over Gay for 1 year an $19m. It's this part of the trade that kills it for me.

With AA v. McLemore, you're trading a better player on a shorter contract for potential. This one's kind of a tossup just because AA could bolt next year, as often happens to the Nuggets, but if they want to make a run at the playoffs, which they do, I think they'd have to go with AA. I'll admit I haven't watched McLemore much though- his 3 pt shooting stats don't look that hot though, 10% lower than AA's.

Then McGee v. Williams...for starters this trade leaves Denver with 2 centers and 4 PF's + 2 SF's who play the 4 sometimes. And the centers are Moz, who's not bad but can't carry the load by himself, and a very green rookie Nurkic. Not a good situation. And the Nuggets have put 2 years into McGee's contract already. They're going to finally see if that can pay off.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#18 » by Kings2013 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Why would Sacramento want to do Gay for Gallinari? Gay played liked a top 5-6 SF in the league in Sacramento, put up 20/6/3 with good efficiency while gelling with Cousins. He is also playing solidly for the Olympic team, meanwhile Gallinari isn't the player he is with injury concerns

I won't argue about McLemore/Williams - Mcgee/Afflalo, so I won't argue who the trade benefits in value. But as a Kings fan I would not do this. Rudy played well here, fits here and at this point is a foundational piece
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:50 am

nomansland wrote:

Was he fine before the injury? He could block shots and put up crazy highlight reel dunks (in addition to his truly crazy "Javale being Javale" kind of highlights), but he's also truly useless offensively outside of 3 feet, and an awful shooter at the foul line over his career, and I'm just not sure how much more he can truly play than about 20-25 minutes a night, and never in crunch time outside of complete offense/defense substitutions.
nomansland
Head Coach

Post#20 » by nomansland » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:22 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
nomansland wrote:

Was he fine before the injury? He could block shots and put up crazy highlight reel dunks (in addition to his truly crazy "Javale being Javale" kind of highlights), but he's also truly useless offensively outside of 3 feet, and an awful shooter at the foul line over his career, and I'm just not sure how much more he can truly play than about 20-25 minutes a night, and never in crunch time outside of complete offense/defense substitutions.

Fine in terms of the injury.

Whether he can improve his game is not certain, but again, at this point I'd rather have him than a 6th guy to play the 4.

Return to Trades and Transactions