Haywood, JL3, Malcolm Thomas, Erik Murphy = ???

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

rein08
Senior
And1: 18

Haywood, JL3, Malcolm Thomas, Erik Murphy = ??? 

Post#1 » by rein08 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:24 am

These guys are either expiring or on non-guaranteed deals. Who can the Cavs get for a package of these 4 and some picks? I think Cleveland needs a solid backup center. Maybe someone like Zaza?
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Re: Haywood, JL3, Malcolm Thomas, Erik Murphy = ??? 

Post#2 » by jimmy keys » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Cutting salary has never carried less value then now with the cap expected to jump by 10 to 20 mil in the next 2 years.

Honestly best case scenario is to use those contracts + Waiters &/or Thompson + picks to land another star and upgrade at the 5 at the same time. Something like ....

To Cleveland - Bledsoe + Plumlee

To Phoenix - Waiters + Thompson + expiring contracts + picks

You upgrade the backcourt and add depth at C too. Those contracts alone aren't getting you anything resembling a rotation player.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,382

Post#3 » by jowglenn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:49 pm

They're going to keep Haywood til next summer, when he has this strange balloon salary situation. His salary will be on the books as 10 million, but he's fully unguaranteed if waived by a certain date - meaning, they can use him in a trade to take back 12.5 million in salary, and the team receiving Haywood can just waive him for nothing. Right now, though, Haywood is only paid like 2 million, so you can't dump as much salary.

Essentially, next summer, Haywood becomes a TPE. At which point the Cavs can conceivably take on a great deal of salary, which is the only way they'll be able to do so outside of signings w/ MLE, etc, since the lebron/love/kyrie/thompson/etc will surely already put them over the cap.

Imagine some team with a decent player on a sizeable contract, but they want to rebuild and save money? Bam, Haywood & the MEM 1st! Dump the guy entirely and get a pick.

This could mean the Cavs could trade for, say, Larry Sanders or something.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#4 » by giberish » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Delladova is a solid backup PG, no need there. Cleveland does need another C, but it's a difficult fit.

They (or at least their fans) expect to turn Haywood into a star player next offseason, so they won't deal him. The other 3 just don't make that much money, so anyone that they can be traded for is also going to be pretty cheap, and teams don't salary dump useful, cheap players (especially useful, cheap centers).
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#5 » by mg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:47 pm

Looking around the league their C depth doesn't look that bad to me. Why not just use Varejao at center and Tristan T at backup C? KLove can also play a few minutes at C in a small ball lineup. Even Haywood can play a few backup C minutes if he's healthy. They would probably have to give up a real asset like the Memphis lotto pick combined with the non guaranteeds to even sniff a journeyman C.. or give up a young player like Waiters. Personally I would try to wait until next offseason and then buy one with the MLE or Haywood contract and also maybe draft a young big.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,760

Post#6 » by Colbinii » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Who?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#7 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:45 pm

I think the best option is for Cleveland to wait until the deadline. Brooklyn could be a team to watch given how much they paid out for the luxury tax last season.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#8 » by loserX » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:13 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I think the best option is for Cleveland to wait until the deadline. Brooklyn could be a team to watch given how much they paid out for the luxury tax last season.

Do they have the roster spots to do that? Not sure what their current roster looks like but if it's over the limit then guys like JL3 and Erik Murphy might have to be long gone by then.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,457

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 pm

Haywood should be a Cav until next year around draft time.. Or on draft night.. The Cavs can't trade their pick next year but they can trade the player the team they are trading with decides to pick with that pick on draft night... Haywood, 30th, Memphis pick.. is a decent package for any player outside the top 20-25 players who are available for whatever reason.. add in Waiters and it's a decent package for any overpaid star.

Ung contracts should be used on a center, whether it be with a small asset or not.. Zaza, Dalembert, Kosta, Mozgov, Joel, Freeland, Turiaf..

Jason Thompson actually? JL3, Murphy, Thomas, Powell for Thompson and a second? Sac doesn't really need to dump Thompson but maybe they'd do it.. And Cleveland - I don't really think they'd be willing to go into the tax for Thompson actually.... Thompson is good and would be a nice upgrade, but I'm really not sure how Cleveland fills about going into the tax. They'd be fine under the tax as is but I imagine Marion will be part of the team at some point, as well as likely Allen.. Either signing would put them over the tax.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I think the best option is for Cleveland to wait until the deadline. Brooklyn could be a team to watch given how much they paid out for the luxury tax last season.

The best option is for the Cavs to wait until next year when Haywood's contract is $10 million and not guaranteed. Haywood is supposedly healthy. Frankly, I'm wondering what the Cavs would get defensively that would be better than a healthy Haywood while still making the dollars work.

In terms of the other contracts, those other non guaranteed guys are going to get cut before the deadline. They have to in terms of roster space.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
CAVS ARE BACK
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#11 » by CAVS ARE BACK » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Haywood is going to play
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Haywood will be 35 in November and hasn't had a respectable season since he got paid 3-4 years ago.

There are plenty of things to be excited about if you are a Cavs fan.. But really no one should say "healthy Haywood" and it be expected to fly.

If Cavs fans are allowed to say Haywood is going to play, then no one should question Rose returning to MVP form.
CAVS ARE BACK
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#13 » by CAVS ARE BACK » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:16 pm

someone's having a bad day
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 pm

CAVS ARE BACK wrote:someone's having a bad day

Eh... I'm a Dallas fan. Haywood is a bad day.

I just had to call it out. He's 35 and hasn't been decent in 3 years. Take the wait and see, cool.. But I don't think after being horrible for 3 years and being 35 now, he should be considered anything above a 3rd center - which is fine for his 2 million dollars.. But he has to prove he is worth giving and can actually play for 12 mpg IMO.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 pm

mg wrote:Looking around the league their C depth doesn't look that bad to me. Why not just use Varejao at center and Tristan T at backup C? KLove can also play a few minutes at C in a small ball lineup. Even Haywood can play a few backup C minutes if he's healthy.

That's the problem. The 5 rotation consists of Varejao playing a lot of minutes there, which isn't conducive to his health. After that, it's playing Tristan there, which could wear on him as he's simply undersized for the 5, even with the style he plays. Then, it's age old Brendan Haywood, and playing Kevin Love out of position and possibly wearing him out, or simply giving up defensively.

I think they'd greatly prefer to play Love at 4, solely, and probably either Tristan or Varejao at the 4, mostly. They'd also prefer that Haywood play 10 minutes or less a night. To do all that would require another 5.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:35 pm

CAVS ARE BACK wrote:someone's having a bad day

How so? He politely corrected you. And he speaks the truth on this topic.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:01 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Haywood will be 35 in November and hasn't had a respectable season since he got paid 3-4 years ago.

There are plenty of things to be excited about if you are a Cavs fan.. But really no one should say "healthy Haywood" and it be expected to fly.

If Cavs fans are allowed to say Haywood is going to play, then no one should question Rose returning to MVP form.

We only need him to be serviceable back up against certain line ups. We can, and should go with TT as the back up in small ball line ups. What is being reported out of Cleveland is that Haywood's healthy and in great shape. Plus it's essentially a contract year for him as no one is paying him that $10 million non guaranteed contract next year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#18 » by Laimbeer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Colbinii wrote:Who?

I think it's their D-league team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:16 am

jbk1234 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Haywood will be 35 in November and hasn't had a respectable season since he got paid 3-4 years ago.

We only need him to be serviceable back up against certain line ups. We can, and should go with TT as the back up in small ball line ups. What is being reported out of Cleveland is that Haywood's healthy and in great shape. Plus it's essentially a contract year for him as no one is paying him that $10 million non guaranteed contract next year.

Who's reporting that? I live here in Cleveland. I watch the news and read the paper. I follow all the local writers and beat reporters on twitter. I haven't see anyone really report anything of value on Haywood since the deal? And even if he was healthy and in great shape, he hasn't been able to do much healthy and in great shape throughout his career, except for one contract year that he's still living off of.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#20 » by mcfly1204 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:24 am

ABOUT THE CAVS

1. Brendan Haywood was in town and the 7-footer is in excellent shape in terms of weight and body fat. He had surgery to repair a broken foot last October, and missed the entire season. The Cavs weren't sure if he could play this season -- or at least not until January. Now, they are hopeful it will be sooner.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ss ... cart_river
Well at least we're not Detroit!

Return to Trades and Transactions