CHA/CHI - Gibson+Dunleavy for Zeller+Henderson

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

CHA/CHI - Gibson+Dunleavy for Zeller+Henderson 

Post#1 » by HornetJail » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234937/Sources-Taj-Gibson-Not-Too-Thrilled-To-Continue-Being-Backup-Forward

Apparently Taj Gibson is done being a backup. Chicago has a TON of depth at the 4/5 positions anyway, and it's at the wings where the Bulls could use a little work. Hendo would be a solid two-way player for them and Zeller would make a very nice combo with Mirotic off the bench.
Noah/Zeller
Gasol/Mirotic
McDermott/Henderson
Butler/Snell
Rose/Brooks

Charlotte could use Gibson's defense next to Big Al- he'd fit like a glove here on both ends.
Al/Biz
Gibson/Williams/Vonleh
MKG/Dunleavy/Taylor
Lance/Hairston/Neal
Kemba/Roberts/Pargo
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Re: CHA/CHI - Gibson+Dunleavy for Zeller+Henderson 

Post#2 » by Laimbeer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Pretty bad for the Bulls. An excellent four and pretty decent three for a marginal contract and a prospect that hasn't shown much.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,134

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Taj is wearing a Phoenix jersey and Bledsoe is wearing a Bulls one long before this trade happens.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
lakersin4
Starter
And1: 788

Post#4 » by lakersin4 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Taj is wearing a Phoenix jersey and Bledsoe is wearing a Bulls one long before this trade happens.

Exactly.. I can definitely see that going down.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,481

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Come on, you are better than this Biz..

I'd love to see a Lance+Williams for Gibson+Dunleavy+Snell swap in December though :/ Lance is a perfect fit next to Butler/Rose and Williams could play the 3 anytime Butler is at the two... Bulls would be safe from the tax this year and unless Butler gets a 10+ million dollar deal somehow would have no problem resigning him either... For Char it is completely silly to imagine the team trading their two recent free agents but maybe ownership regrets the Williams signing as much as you do somehow... Na?

I think if this is the extent of Taj expressing his unhappiness (an unquoted source), then the Bulls will still get close to fair value. Which involves more than Zeller or Henderson.

If Taj brings it up a notch and demands a trade - at the point the OP doesn't look as horrible.

Taj for Thompson+McLemore
Taj+Dunleavy for Bledsoe resigned
Taj for Houston assets with TPE

Or add a first in your deal at least. I always liked deals around Zeller+Henderson for Taj really..but I think the Bulls after actually spending the money to drop Boozer, getting Pau and adding Mirotic, moving up for McDermott, etc.. Would want a piece coming back that makes a big difference the next 2 years.

I think there is a lot of fun to be had with a deal around Houston getting Taj, Houston sending 2 of Capela, Jones, NOP pick, Bev to a third team for a wing making 8-15 million a year and the Bulls getting that guy (and possibly sending more value/filler to that team) or just one of the Houston assets to that team and Chicago gets that teams player and one of Houston's assets? LAC trade JJ for Dunleavy+Capela to get under the tax, Chicago gets JJ and D-Mo for Gibson.. Might not even be as good as the OP. Oh well.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#6 » by GoBobs » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:22 am

jayjaysee wrote:Come on, you are better than this Biz..

I'd love to see a Lance+Williams for Gibson+Dunleavy+Snell swap in December though :/ Lance is a perfect fit next to Butler/Rose and Williams could play the 3 anytime Butler is at the two... Bulls would be safe from the tax this year and unless Butler gets a 10+ million dollar deal somehow would have no problem resigning him either... For Char it is completely silly to imagine the team trading their two recent free agents but maybe ownership regrets the Williams signing as much as you do somehow... Na?

I think if this is the extent of Taj expressing his unhappiness (an unquoted source), then the Bulls will still get close to fair value. Which involves more than Zeller or Henderson.

If Taj brings it up a notch and demands a trade - at the point the OP doesn't look as horrible.

Or add a first in your deal at least. I always liked deals around Zeller+Henderson for Taj really..but I think the Bulls after actually spending the money to drop Boozer, getting Pau and adding Mirotic, moving up for McDermott, etc.. Would want a piece coming back that makes a big difference the next 2 years.

I think there is a lot of fun to be had with a deal around Houston getting Taj, Houston sending 2 of Capela, Jones, NOP pick, Bev to a third team for a wing making 8-15 million a year and the Bulls getting that guy (and possibly sending more value/filler to that team) or just one of the Houston assets to that team and Chicago gets that teams player and one of Houston's assets? LAC trade JJ for Dunleavy+Capela to get under the tax, Chicago gets JJ and D-Mo for Gibson.. Might not even be as good as the OP. Oh well.

your telling me Thompson and McLemore are worth more then Zeller and Henderson......please. Thompson is a bad contract and McLemore sucks. Those guys have a combined per of like 18.8, Henderson an Zeller have a combined per of 26. McLemore scored 8.8 pts in 26 minutes per game on 37% from the field. Zeller's 13 per was almost double McLemore's per of 7.7
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,481

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:13 am

GoBobs wrote:

your telling me Thompson and McLemore are worth more then Zeller and Henderson......please. Thompson is a bad contract and McLemore sucks. Those guys have a combined per of like 18.8, Henderson an Zeller have a combined per of 26. McLemore scored 8.8 pts in 26 minutes per game on 37% from the field. Zeller's 13 per was almost double McLemore's per of 7.7

When your first argument is PER... I'll let it go.

But yeah, I think most everyone (including the Bulls) would take Thompson/McLemore.

Zeller projects to be..a back up for Noah? Or maybe for the Bulls he would be insurance if Mirotic doesn't work out... But that's not something you really want to invest in right?

Henderson..how much better is a starting wing duo of Butler/Henderson compared to Dunleavy/Butler? Obviously Henderson is better than Dunleavy.. But how much better? Just Henderson is what he is already right? He's a SG version of Jason Thompson. Not very good at anything not terrible at anything.

Thompson is two year insurance as a back up center, in case Mirotic takes a year or two to develop..which is fair.. Thompson/Noah/Gasol could play every single C/PF minute together while Mirotic adjusts.

McLemore on the other hand.. Projects to be an ideal piece next to Rose/Butler.. Under a good coach on a winning team..with little pressure.. He should develop fine.

So for the Bulls you are saying would you rather

Noah/Pau
Pau/Zeller/Mirotic
Butler/Mcdermott
Henderson/Snell
Rose/Brooks

Two deep at every possession..sure.. But the talent level is what it is right?

Or..

Noah/Thompson
Pau/Mirotic
Dunleavy/Butler/McDermott
Butler/McLemore/Snell
Rose/Brooks

No pressure on any of the kids for the first year, McLemore could potentially develop to be a star next to Rose..

So yeah.. That's my opinion.

And as Biz or others would say, I usually side with Char side on most trades as your players are generally grossly underrated.

But I'll take the competent big and the shooting guard with star potential over the competent wing and the big with starter potential.

And I don't even think McLemore will be a star...but I think he will be a better player than Zeller. And fits a bigger need for the Bulls.

But honestly - I'm not even sure why Dunleavy was in Biz' suggestion. Bulls are safely away from the tax this year and he is an expiring that the team really likes. And clearly the Hornets aren't giving up enough value for Taj - so why add another valuable piece? Even if you only think Dunleavy is worth an early-ish 2nd since he is an expiring fringe starter.. That's still value (and win-now value at that) that the Bulls are losing for no reason.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#8 » by HornetJail » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 am

I can remove Dunleavy from the deal if that's the only thing hanging it up. Bulls fans here were trading value to get rid of him just a few months ago and I like his fit with Charlotte, but if Dunleavy is the hang up here, I'd remove him to make it work
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#9 » by BeesWax » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Comparing Thompson and McLemore to Zeller and Henderson is not even close. I am still looking for the competent big in the Sac deal. I mean if you really want to down grade that far in talent between the two deals it is your right but it isn't even very close. If what McLemore has done in the past shows star potential then forget the trade because Zeller is going to the hall of fame.

The funny thing is if you look at the second half of the season last year the two best players in this deal are Zeller and Henderson. I am not even a huge Zeller fan but he played better to finish off the season last year than a veteran Thompson and Henderson destroyed McLemore in every category including shooting which is where Ben should have taken him.
Spoiler:
qianlong
Starter
And1: 258

Post#10 » by qianlong » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Awful for the bulls.
Ball don't lie
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#11 » by LofJ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:31 pm

I can't believe someone actually thinks McLemore has star potential. The same kid that didn't do pre-draft group workouts because his agent was afraid he would get exposed? The same player that is so damn talented that his own team drafted another guy that plays the same position right after drafting him the year previously? Yeah, I'm not buying it. He may yet carve out a nice niche for himself, but a star player? I highly doubt it.
nba_addict
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#12 » by nba_addict » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:59 pm

How about gibson and MDJ for henderson and vonleh?
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#13 » by Zion Wembanyama » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 pm

For what it's worth, I've seen Henderson wearing a Bulls jersey for some time now.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#14 » by witnessraps » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:07 am

this is beyond awful for the bulls. Taj is worth way more than this.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#15 » by Golabki » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:34 am

I don't really think Henderson helps the Bulls much on the wing and if its at the cost of Dunleavy I think that swap hurts you.

If Gibson really is pushing his way out... Zeller is a decent piece to get back, but I think the Bulls can probably do better.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#16 » by Golabki » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:35 am

GoBobs wrote:

I agree... I suppose there a probably still a lot of McLemore hypers yet, but Zeller was drafted higher, and I'd say he had the more impressive rookie year.

Return to Trades and Transactions