Eric Gordon and Eric Bledsoe to Minnesota in a Three Way

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,933

Eric Gordon and Eric Bledsoe to Minnesota in a Three Way 

Post#1 » by Domejandro » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:09 am

Hey, I have a trade that is hilarious in hindsight, but ignoring that, could (almost) legitimately bring both Gordon and Bledsoe to Minnesota. That said, it has its problems, so I send it over to you guys to help me out. My quote from another forum,,,

I have had an idea that I have been sharing with family and friends, but we all agreed that it is lopsided. That said...

Min: Eric Bledsoe(S+T*), Eric Gordon
Out: Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, Chase Budinger, Jose Juan Barea, Unprotected 2015 first round draft pick (lift protections), Unprotected 2017 second round New Orleans Pelicans draft pick (New Orleans lifts protections),

PHX: Corey Brewer, Jeff Withey, 2015 Unprotected first round draft pick (lifted protection from Minnesota), 2017 Unprotected second round draft pick (lifted protection from New Orleans), Sacramento 2016 second round draft pick (31-55 protected)
Out: Eric Bledsoe

NOL: Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, Jose Juan Barea.
Out: Eric Gordon, Jeff Withey, Protection on 2017 second round pick (to Phoenix from Minnesota), Sacramento 2016 second round draft pick (31-55 protected)

What people tend to forget is that you can actually lift protections from already outgoing picks. Because of this, the Timberwolves would be able to add a very good asset in that pick in case injuries or continuity would not work (very possible with both of the Eric's).

My original trade involved Glenn Robinson III, but it is too late for that. Obviously this is lopsided, but it is a little thing I came up with.

Roster (though not the "official" depth chart) for the Timberwolves:

Ricky Rubio/Eric Bledsoe/Mo Williams/Zach LaVine
Eric Gordon/Eric Bledsoe/Shabazz Muhammad/Zach LaVine/Glenn Robinson III
Andrew Wiggins/Shabazz Muhammad/Thaddeus Young/Robbie Hummel
Thaddeus Young/Anthony Bennett/Robbie Hummel/Shabazz Muhammad/Gorgui Dieng
Nikola Pekovic/Gorgui Dieng/Ronnie Turiaf

* Eric Bledsoe's contract on a 12 Million 15% escalating deal over four years (just under 60 million). This makes finances barely work for Minnesota (Literally by 0.15 million).

Why for Minnesota? They use their stash of solid wings to get a fantastic, albeit horribly injury prone, point guard in Eric Bledsoe, and an over-payed, terribly injured, yet still solid when playing, Eric Gordon. They take a massive risk for an even more massive reward.

Why for Phoenix? They are clearly in a situation of not wanting to pay Bledsoe, but not wanting to lose him for nothing. They likely will let him take the Qualifying Offer, and make him play out his year, but getting assets for him is a more optimal scenario. They get a solid wing in Brewer who fits perfectly in their concept, and hope for the Timberwolves to crash and burn, gietting from them the unprotected pick. In addition they get a potentially solid back up big man in Jeff Withey with a couple of seconds.

Why for New Orleans? They clear the albatross contract or Gordon for two incredibly solid players in Kevin Martin (who can get them twenty a night), Chase Budinger (injury risk, but is a sniper whether the stats like it or not who can get you ten a night), and take on J.J. for a season. Eric Gordon may be slightly better, but the injuries and consistency make him an absolute mess for their current team. This has been rehashed a million times, so I will leave it there. New Orleans may have to cough up a small amount more.

Issues: This may not be enough for Phoenix, and they could be in a better position to ride out Eric Bledsoe's one year. That said, could they legitimately get more? That is where the values differ.

What is "off the block" - The Timberwolves will likely not trade any of their rookie or sophomore players for the risk of Bledsoe. Sorry, but the risk/reward is not worth giving those players. That may sound greedy, but it is what it is. That said Glenn Robinson can be traded after thirty days, so that is a consideration. Of course there are other issues with this, such as guaranteed contract numbers, but it is always something minor to consider.

I should add that I know this would never happen, but I am very curious as to the opinion of the values for all teams involved.

Okie Dokey, how can it be improved?
504ByrdGang
Junior
And1: 252

Re: Eric Gordon and Eric Bledsoe to Minnesota in a Three Way 

Post#2 » by 504ByrdGang » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:19 am

We're getting a dump truck I would be hesitant to do this I would like GR3 to be involved coming our way.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,933

Post#3 » by Domejandro » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:30 am

504ByrdGang wrote:We're getting a dump truck I would be hesitant to do this I would like GR3 to be involved coming our way.

Sorry to ask, but what team are you cheering for? I assume Phoenix, but I want to make sure.

Glen Robinson III just signed a guaranteed deal, meaning this would have to wait 29 days for him to be included, and in addition, Phoenix has 15 guaranteed contracts without him. That said, Shavlik Randolph could likely be dumped with a second to Philadelphia, so that is far from a major concern. As you can tell, I am just greedy, so that is why I am making these excuses, but I just cannot help myself. :lol: I am guessing Flip Saunders (assuming he would ever consider such a ridiculous gamble) would not hinge the deal on Glen Robinson. Definitely a consideration I will add as a side note.

Whoops, just checked and saw you are a New Orleans fan. This trade puts you at 16 guaranteed contracts, 17 with Glenn Robinson, so that is a major issue. As for the dump truck (which it somewhat is), Kevin Martin is incredibly consistent and efficient at what he does (while sucking on the other side of the court of course), and Budinger is a solid rotation player if healthy. This surrounds Anthony Davis with a lot of outside shooting. In addition, J.J. sucks, but he is an expiring, luckily. I see a deal like this as the only way to trade Gordon due to his 15% trade kicker.
504ByrdGang
Junior
And1: 252

Post#4 » by 504ByrdGang » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:38 am

Domejandro wrote:
504ByrdGang wrote:We're getting a dump truck I would be hesitant to do this I would like GR3 to be involved coming our way.

Sorry to ask, but what team are you cheering for? I assume Phoenix, but I want to make sure.

Glen Robinson III just signed a guaranteed deal, meaning this would have to wait 29 days for him to be included, and in addition, Phoenix has 15 guaranteed contracts without him. That said, Shavlik Randolph could likely be dumped with a second to Philadelphia, so that is far from a major concern. As you can tell, I am just greedy, so that is why I am making these excuses, but I just cannot help myself. :lol: I am guessing Flip Saunders (assuming he would ever consider such a ridiculous gamble) would not hinge the deal on Glen Robinson. Definitely a consideration I will add as a side note.

Pel fan, we are dumping one large awful contract but inturn taking on 3 just as bad contracts. We are deep at the guard position so Chase, JJ, and Martin would be a overkill. I would take Martin because while his defense is awful I think he could be a nice fit with Reke and Jrue. But taking on those other guys is just as bad if not worse than having Gordon. I would like to see a young sf with Gr3 added for our sf dept.Gordon if he stay healthy and has a semi productive year I'm a 100% sure he will opt out to chase guaranteed money rather than the last 15 mil of his contract. It would not be worth the risk for him. I also think GR3 will be a decent player in the league he was asked to do too much and play out of position his final year of college but he still has great athleticism and a decent 3pt shot and can mold him into a future 3&D player.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:33 am

For one, you can't offer 15% raises by the CBA- only 4.5% if you don't have his rights.

Second, that is a moronic amount of money to shell out to two injury plagued guards. Particularly if one is going to come off the bench, and further bury young talent on the bench.

Also I'm eyeballing it and kind of estimating but but I don't think the salaries match up unless Eric Bledsoe is taking less than 12M, at which price Phoenix would have resigned him.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,472

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:34 am

NOP needs to keep Withey. Why are they giving up a decent prospect when they aren't shredding much of any salary?

Doing that makes it something they might consider if Budinger is playing healthy (2 slightly overpaid players is better than 1 very overpaid player) and Budinger/Martin give the spacing NOP needs.

Then send either Shabazz or 2017 lottery protected first (strong protected like the pick Phoenix currently owns from Minn) to Phoenix. One of the two needs to go there.

But why would Minn want Rubio/Gordon/Bledsoe.. Not mentioning Mo/Lavine/Shabazz/Wiggins..

I can see the argument for either one..And would agree with it because I think Minnesota has a lot more talent on their team than people admit.. Don't see why they are not just about on par with last year, this year.. then next season a few wins more assuming one of Wiggins/Bennett/Lavine/Shabazz hit any level near their potential and Rubio is brought back (and possibly Thad if Bennett looks terrible).. But why both Bledsoe and Gordon?

Too much money for a team that doesn't really need it.

If Phoenix would do Brewer, Budinger, JJB, 2015 unprotected, 2017 lottery protected first for Bledsoe (even on a max) then I think the Wolves should do it... But they'd be committing to Rubio/Bledsoe playing heavy minutes together and should look to trade Martin/Mo Williams as Lavine/Shabazz should get minutes as well..

I'd rather the Bulls just 2 of Brewer/Budinger/JJB into Wallace+a first though.. Opens up some minutes, a roster spot, and gets a first. Think the Wolves need to give their hi-potential kids a chance to show it..keep one quality starting vet wing on the team to avoid too much pressure (Eric Gordon/Joe Johnson/Kevin Martin/etc) on the kids..
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#7 » by pelifan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 am

after reading a thread where someone said Rubio would work well in Phx system, I came up with a similar trade Idea involving these 3 teams

NO in: Morris twins, Kevin Martin, Corey Brewer, Barea
Out: Gordon, Ryan Anderson

Why? NO gets a ton of depth in positions of need, Dumps Gordon's contract, sheds salary, great stuff

Min in: Bledsoe sign and trade, Eric Gordon
Min Out: Rubio, Martin, Brewer, Budinger, Barea

Why? Gets rid of depth issues, don't have to play Rubio who seems to want even more than Bledsoe, and gets a team with even more potential (Bledsoe>Rubio, Gordon>those other guys), Also you don't have to commit to Gordon longterm, just a year or 2.

PHX in: Rubio, Ryan Anderson, Budinger
Out: Morris twins, Bledsoe

Why? Rubio, Dragic, IT is the coolest guard rotation in the league just a great mix of guys with very little overlapping skilsets that should all thrive in Phoenix's system. Ryan Anderson if the perfect stretch 4 for the pick and rolls and an upgrade from Markieff and Budinger can be a great fit as well replacing Marcus Morris.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,530

Post#8 » by shrink » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

504ByrdGang wrote:Pel fan, we are dumping one large awful contract but inturn taking on 3 just as bad contracts.

"3 just as bad contracts?" None of the MIN guys are on "large awful" contracts.

Barea $4.5 expiring
Budinger. $5.0, po for $5
Kevin Martin. $6.8, 3 years for $21.2

They are average NBA players, making around the NBA average, or at worst, only slightly overpaid. Barea and Budinger would be acceptable choices in a rotation for many teams, and Kevin Martin would fit as either a starter or a sixth man on several team as well, depending on what they needed. They aren't stars, but they aren't paid like they are either.

I definitely think the Wolves need to deal some of their smaller guys before the season begins, because they can't all get the minutes to be productive. However, I think clever GM's could find them to be useful players with minutes on their teams, and I feel one of those teams could be the Pelicans. Regardless,individually or collectively, their deals don't come close to being as "large and awful" as Eric Gordon's contract is.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#9 » by jscott » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:37 pm

shrink wrote:
504ByrdGang wrote:Pel fan, we are dumping one large awful contract but inturn taking on 3 just as bad contracts.

"3 just as bad contracts?" None of the MIN guys are on "large awful" contracts.

Barea $4.5 expiring
Budinger. $5.0, po for $5
Kevin Martin. $6.8, 3 years for $21.2

They are average NBA players, making around the NBA average, or at worst, only slightly overpaid. Barea and Budinger would be acceptable choices in a rotation for many teams, and Kevin Martin would fit as either a starter or a sixth man on several team as well, depending on what they needed. They aren't stars, but they aren't paid like they are either.

I definitely think the Wolves need to deal some of their smaller guys before the season begins, because they can't all get the minutes to be productive. However, I think clever GM's could find them to be useful players with minutes on their teams, and I feel one of those teams could be the Pelicans. Regardless,individually or collectively, their deals don't come close to being as "large and awful" as Eric Gordon's contract is.

I was coming to post this but probably not as eloquently :D
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#10 » by Fo-Real » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Notice not one of he Suns fans have even commented on this deal...... know it is because it isnt even worth arguing over for any of us. So far out of reality that its like you asking us if we would trade our Unicorn for your Roswell Alien...... JUST STARING AT YOU RIGHT NOW!!! :o
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,530

Post#11 » by shrink » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Fo-Real wrote:Notice not one of he Suns fans have even commented on this deal...... know it is because it isnt even worth arguing over for any of us. So far out of reality that its like you asking us if we would trade our Unicorn for your Roswell Alien...... JUST STARING AT YOU RIGHT NOW!!! :o

Care to elaborate why?

PHX wouldn't swap Bledsoe for MIN's unprotected 1st at this point?

When a player gets a new contract, unless he's getting the max, he's going to get market value. PHX already made him an offer that was more than fair at 4 years, $48 mil. If he's going to get paid more than that, how much extra trade value do you think he has than more than an unprotected first round pick?

[incidentally, I'm not necessarily in favor of this deal - I just want to understand the extremeness of your position here.]
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#12 » by Fo-Real » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 pm

Dont want Wither..... not taking on Brewers contract. Too many moving parts for all teams involved.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#13 » by Zion Wembanyama » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:03 pm

pelifan wrote:after reading a thread where someone said Rubio would work well in Phx system, I came up with a similar trade Idea involving these 3 teams

Why? NO gets a ton of depth in positions of need, Dumps Gordon's contract, sheds salary, great stuff

Why? Gets rid of depth issues, don't have to play Rubio who seems to want even more than Bledsoe, and gets a team with even more potential (Bledsoe>Rubio, Gordon>those other guys), Also you don't have to commit to Gordon longterm, just a year or 2.

Why? Rubio, Dragic, IT is the coolest guard rotation in the league just a great mix of guys with very little overlapping skilsets that should all thrive in Phoenix's system. Ryan Anderson if the perfect stretch 4 for the pick and rolls and an upgrade from Markieff and Budinger can be a great fit as well replacing Marcus Morris.

If someone was adding a 1st rd pick our way, I'd sign off on it.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

Post#14 » by Monky15 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:08 am

birdsEAThornets wrote:
pelifan wrote:after reading a thread where someone said Rubio would work well in Phx system, I came up with a similar trade Idea involving these 3 teams

You basically do by removing the pick protection. Or modfying it.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

Post#15 » by Monky15 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:33 am

I reckon it could be worthwhile looking for a 3rd team for Martin. Also swap Barea to Phx and Brewer to NOP.

I struggle to think of a team that would take Martin for a 6'8+ guy.

Some thoughts.

Was for Webster and a 2nd to give them there best 6 man.
Could add in Sacto now and Swing them Webster for JT. NOP send back one of their min bigs.

Chi for Dunleavy, Snell. Bulls add that starting SG they have needed.

Ind for Mahimi, S Hill. Adds much needed scoring. Mahinmi physical would need to be waved.

Por for Wright, Freeland, Claver, Leonard. Adds some more firepower.

Add one of these deals, Budinger, Brewer for Gordon, and Filler. Por and Ind may want Ajinka or Withey.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#16 » by Zion Wembanyama » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:31 am

Monky15 wrote:
birdsEAThornets wrote:

You basically do by removing the pick protection. Or modfying it.

I still don't know what pick you're talking about...
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#17 » by NashtyNas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:06 am

So much confusion. I think he's talking about the pick the Suns already own, and about removing the protection on it for the Suns. I'm assuming he thinks you're a Suns fan, but clearly you're a Pels fan.

This is pretty bad for the Pelicans, although I would obviously do it as a Suns fan.

With or without Bledsoe, the Wolves aren't sniffing the playoffs this year.
A pick in the 8-14 range is good enough for me.

Done deal from a Suns perspective.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas

Return to Trades and Transactions