Bos-SAS S&T with Baynes

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,520

Bos-SAS S&T with Baynes 

Post#1 » by 165bows » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:47 pm

This strikes me as potentially beneficial for SA. Not really sure as I don't know if they are looking more for a F/C type or a more pure forward type of player. Or if they just want a bargain guy that can provide a few minutes up front to save up $ for Ray Allen or whoever frees up mid-season.

SAS sends: Baynes (sign and traded at 3.6M) and Austin Daye along with another potential asset
BOS sends: Brandon Bass

Reasoning for SA is they get to fill out their depth up front with a solid vet that's got a lot of playoff experience (1300+ mins) who has scored efficiently (57% TS in the playoffs) and has some other good qualities like a very low turnover player and shoots well from the FT line. Also plays solid man D against a range of forward types. They can do so with a modest expense.

For Boston, they can trim some salary and create flexibility for other moves, saving $2.3M, and potentially wrangle another modest asset.

What is this worth to execute: cap savings only, second round pick(s), previous first like Jean-Charles, well-protected first, or no deal (opportunity cost is too high)?
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Re: Bos-SAS S&T with Baynes 

Post#2 » by username_taken » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:56 pm

I'd do it and I'd be thrilled to get a young guy to develop overseas like Jean-Charles, as we currently have a lack of overseas talent. I don't think SA needs a guy like Bass however, and the Celtics really have no need to take on more players in a trade, as we already have 21 total.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,462

Post#3 » by jayjaysee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:08 pm

I actually think Bass would be a great piece for SAS.

Duncan 20-25mpg, Splliter 20-28mpg, Diaw 20-28mpg, Bass leftovers.

Duncans/Split play majority of center minutes obviously - at least in regular season. Diaw/Bass majority of PF minutes. Bass has a nice midrange game, plays decent defense and plays within himself. He'd be a very nice fit in SAS game honestly.

I don't know how the Spurs value Barnes or (potential asset) though. Bass would be a nice get but isn't a huge need if that makes sense.

And it depends on how they feel about Kyle Anderson. Do they view him as a SF, a PF, a year or two away, throw him in and let him shine like Leonard.... Anderson was a great pick by them - most boards had him lottery, some had him mid lottery, then he dropped in the final weeks before draft..
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#4 » by Boarder Patrol » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:58 am

Bass wouldn't be a bad piece for the Spurs, but he's not a real need for them. They don't have many but if they were to S/T Baynes I'd prefer it be for a 3 or a 5.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#5 » by Mykhyn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:13 am

I don't see Bass getting PT this year.

I think Spurs see Daye as a Bonner replacement and likely keep him.

The idea of including Jean Carlos is pretty laughable. They'd let Baynes walk and pick up someone you never heard of before giving up JC.

A well protected 1st? Curious what that even means. When was the last time they picked out of the bottom 5 in the draft? Top 29 protected?

I could maybe see a Baynes + Ayers for Bass. But otherwise theres no point for the Spurs.

They'd pretty much have to clear Ayers for this to make any sense
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:14 am

Eh, why wouldn't the Spurs just keep Baynes/Daye? I'm not sure I see Bass being so valuable for the few minutes he would get that SAS would get more expensive. Think they'd rather just let Baynes walk. But, it's not a big enough deal to get wriled up if they did it, either.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#7 » by Nolan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:54 pm

We don't need Bass we already have Ayres and Bonner to play those leftover minutes.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,714

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:17 pm

On paper this is a no-brainer for SAS. But this is San Antonio and no team in the league does such a consistent job of filling their roster with guys who don't impress you with their resumes who fit in perfectly with the the team structure.

So if the Spurs fans are saying no thanks, then I think we all should just nod and agree.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,520

Post#9 » by 165bows » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Well that was my thought was that the depth that seemed needed was a guy that could help guard the more mobile forward types, which seemed thin behind Diaw/Leonard. But I honestly don't know that much about Ayres/Baynes if they are more towards center or PF mold. Daye/Anderson might be nice offensive players but seemed more redundant since neither are even average strength types physically, probably a couple of the weaker (physically) forwards in the league.

But it was more curiosity what type of big they were looking for as much as anything.

So it seemed like an upgrade but if you can get the same outcome for free, sure there is always the advantage of keeping your powder dry for when you really need it.

I guess my other thought was Diaw has played a lot of minutes between the Finals run and the FIBA stuff this summer, might be wise to not overdo it with the guy.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#10 » by Golabki » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:01 pm

They have bonner too, and bonner is better than bass

6m million is a a lot to pay your 3rd or 4th string PF.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Trades and Transactions