Turiaf to the Cavs Speculation

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Turiaf to the Cavs Speculation 

Post#1 » by shrink » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:18 pm

http://www.hngn.com/articles/43329/20140923/cleveland-cavaliers-rumors-ronny-turiaf-trade-emeka-okafor-ray-allen.htm

Cleveland's biggest need is in the frontcourt. The team needs to add more size to their depth and procure a proven rim-protector to anchor the defense. One option was free agent Emeka Okafor, who missed all of last season recovering from a neck injury. With concerns about Okafor's neck and an uncertainty about when he will be able to return, another option might be Turiaf

"Don't count out Ronny Turiaf - a Kevin Love favorite - although I'm not sure what Cavs have to offer," Jerry Zgoda of the Minneapolis Star Tribune tweeted Monday.

Turiaf would make sense, if the Cavaliers were able to convince the Timberwolves to part with him. He would give Cleveland a much-needed 1.6 blocks per game, and he has a relatively team friendly contract that earns him $1.5 million and expires in July.

I don't see the tiny deal, but it would be classy to get the vet back with Love and LeBron and a chance at a ring.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Turiaf to te Cav Speculation 

Post#2 » by loserX » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 pm

As I've said before, I like Turiaf and the way he plays, but he's not exactly reliable healthwise either. Still, if Cleveland decide they want him, I think an unguaranteed contract and maybe some cash ought to do it. Cavs still get a C, and the Wolves clear a much-wanted roster spot and *gain* money out of it.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#3 » by packforfreedom » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:28 pm

loserX wrote:As I've said before, I like Turiaf and the way he plays, but he's not exactly reliable healthwise either. Still, if Cleveland decide they want him, I think an unguaranteed contract and maybe some cash ought to do it. Cavs still get a C, and the Wolves clear a much-wanted roster spot and *gain* money out of it.

No that doesn't make sense. We have 15 players with guaranteed contracts. GRIII has signed a partially guaranteed contract. So we need to clear a roster spot to keep him (which the FO wants). a trade or waive of Baera is the most likely option to do so. If we trade Turiaf to create that spot, we'll need just that spot to replace him, since this team needs a third center/pf with Pek being somewhat injuryprone and Dieng being a sophomore.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#4 » by loserX » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:36 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
loserX wrote:As I've said before, I like Turiaf and the way he plays, but he's not exactly reliable healthwise either. Still, if Cleveland decide they want him, I think an unguaranteed contract and maybe some cash ought to do it. Cavs still get a C, and the Wolves clear a much-wanted roster spot and *gain* money out of it.

No that doesn't make sense. We have 15 players with guaranteed contracts. GRIII has signed a partially guaranteed contract. So we need to clear a roster spot to keep him (which the FO wants). a trade or waive of Baera is the most likely option to do so. If we trade Turiaf to create that spot, we'll need just that spot to replace him, since this team needs a third center/pf with Pek being somewhat injuryprone and Dieng being a sophomore.

Fair enough. I don't see how a trade of Barea would help, since no one is going to take him without sending player salary back (barring your adding a pick or something), which won't help you either. But it sounds like the team wants to get rid of Barea anyway so maybe waiving him is the way to go. I was just trying to meet the conditions of the OP :)
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,574

Re: Turiaf to the Cavs Speculation 

Post#5 » by shrink » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:40 pm

I agree with what I've read. MIN can start the season with two centers, since Dieng will get every minute that Pek can't play, but eventually Pek will get dinged up and they will need SOMEBODY (not necessarily Turiaf) to keep Dieng from 48 minutes. I should probably also add that Turiaf is a great personality to have around the kids.

Still, I think he'd be happier playing for a ring. MIN doesn't have to have Turiaf - maybe they could deal for a non-guaranteed deal and cash or 2nd, and trade a swingman for an expiring PF-center on a different team that makes around $4? Any ideas?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#6 » by ace625214 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm

shrink wrote:I agree with what I've read. MIN can start the season with two centers, since Dieng will get every minute that Pek can't play, but eventually Pek will get dinged up and they will need SOMEBODY (not necessarily Turiaf) to keep Dieng from 48 minutes. I should probably also add that Turiaf is a great personality to have around the kids.

Still, I think he'd be happier playing for a ring. MIN doesn't have to have Turiaf - maybe they could deal for a non-guaranteed deal and cash or 2nd, and trade a swingman for an expiring PF-center on a different team that makes around $4? Any ideas?

Scola is expiring. Now that Love is gone I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem with him joining the team.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,478

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:23 pm

What about something like

Boston - Joel
Boston - Budinger
Cleveland - Thomas
Cleveland - Turiaf
Minn - Turiaf and Budinger
Minn - Joel and Thomas

Thomas gets waived, Joel plays the 20 games this season that the Wolves need him, G-Rob is signed.

Cleveland gets a back up center, he can always be traded in 90 days if they want a better player for playoffs? Time to use the UNG deals has to be ruining out

Boston ughm.. Cleveland sends them a 2nd? Or maybe just getting a rotation player for a terrible player is worth it?
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#8 » by kiwibrindle » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Expect Thomas to get moved if he really wants an 11 million dollar extension
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#9 » by mg » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:20 pm

The Wolves could turn around and use the Turiaf cash savings plus whatever cash the Cavs send to help finance a possible Barea buyout. The Minny organization and most of the fans want Barea gone now. Expiring contracts don't have the value they once did so a buyout may be the only way to get him off the team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:39 pm

kiwibrindle wrote:Expect Thomas to get moved if he really wants an 11 million dollar extension

It's Thompson and he'll be a RFA. There is no need to trade him for the likes of Turiaf.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#11 » by BullyKing » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:32 pm

shrink wrote:I agree with what I've read. MIN can start the season with two centers, since Dieng will get every minute that Pek can't play, but eventually Pek will get dinged up and they will need SOMEBODY (not necessarily Turiaf) to keep Dieng from 48 minutes. I should probably also add that Turiaf is a great personality to have around the kids.

Could do something like:

Turiaf to CLE
Barea to PHI
Moultrie to MIN

Sixers need some sweetner there but maybe CLE and MIN both kick them a 2nd for their troubles.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Trades and Transactions