Cleveland/Denver

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Cleveland/Denver 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 3:05 pm

Based on the Cavs acquiring a TPE for Bogans from Sixers, here is simple idea:

To Denver
-$4.65 million TPE
-2015 Memphis 1st round pick (protected 1-5; 15-30, 1-5 ;15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019)

To Cleveland
-Timofey Mozgov (1 year, $4.65 million plus TO)

Why?
-Cavs get an affordable starting centre who can play 25 mpg without giving up any tangible assets

-Nuggets get more or less guaranteed lottery pick while McGee and Nurkic are able to fill starting and backup centre spots.

Thoughts?
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Cleveland/Denver 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 3:11 pm

Not a bad trade but realistically the pick isn't going to be conveyed until 2017 or 18 and iwill be mid-round at best, Denver says no.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 1, 2014 3:17 pm

yeah we've seen a bunch of versions of this deal on here. I think its fine value for Denver if they decide to try and move some of these long-term deals for role players and start fresh. But its hard to know what to make of Denver as they were really good 2 years ago, but then dumped their coach, their GM, and their best player then had 2 projected starters miss the year and had Lawson miss a bunch of games too. I imagine they want to see how their team looks before dumping players. I could see by the turn of the calendar them being willing to move guys if the team is struggling in the very tough West.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#4 » by nomansland » Wed Oct 1, 2014 4:03 pm

This is that same old "Moz for Memphis' pick" idea, with a small TPE instead of a scrub player.

McGee is still somewhat of a wildcard and Nurkic is still as green as ever.

Just like the other ideas, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Denver.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 4:34 pm

nomansland wrote:This is that same old "Moz for Memphis' pick" idea, with a small TPE instead of a scrub player.

McGee is still somewhat of a wildcard and Nurkic is still as green as ever.

Just like the other ideas, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Denver.

To your point, this only interests Denver if they feel McGee has a strong training camp and looks good to play 25-28 mpg. There are players who can be signed for veteran minimum like Okafor who would be a 12-14 mpg option off the bench behind McGee and infront of Nurkic.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Wed Oct 1, 2014 4:41 pm

I have a gut feeling that Memphis pick is going to be a lottery pick this year or next. Major steal for Denver if they could pull that off, mainly because if Denver is healthy (meaning Gallo, Hickson, Nate, Javale, Chandler, Lawson) I could actually see their new additions help them to sneak in and knock Memphis to the 9th seed, gaining a lottery pick.

I think Cleveland is at the point where they may have to overpay to get a big dude who can defend the paint. Mozgov's not the first option when you think of paint protectors you trade a nice pick for, but he fits a huge, gaping hole, and would be a key piece in a title run.

Good deal around. Props to you OP, buy yourself a 1,226th Bentley.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,412

Post#7 » by username_taken » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:20 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:I have a gut feeling that Memphis pick is going to be a lottery pick this year or next. Major steal for Denver if they could pull that off, mainly because if Denver is healthy (meaning Gallo, Hickson, Nate, Javale, Chandler, Lawson) I could actually see their new additions help them to sneak in and knock Memphis to the 9th seed, gaining a lottery pick.

I think Cleveland is at the point where they may have to overpay to get a big dude who can defend the paint. Mozgov's not the first option when you think of paint protectors you trade a nice pick for, but he fits a huge, gaping hole, and would be a key piece in a title run.

You really think Z-Bo and Marc Gasol will decline enough in the next year or two to make the Grizz a lottery team?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#8 » by HornetJail » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:29 pm

username_taken wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:I have a gut feeling that Memphis pick is going to be a lottery pick this year or next. Major steal for Denver if they could pull that off, mainly because if Denver is healthy (meaning Gallo, Hickson, Nate, Javale, Chandler, Lawson) I could actually see their new additions help them to sneak in and knock Memphis to the 9th seed, gaining a lottery pick.

You really think Z-Bo and Marc Gasol will decline enough in the next year or two to make the Grizz a lottery team?
not so much them declining, but they didn't improve this offseason. New Orleans and Denver should be much better, I imagine Phoenix builds on last year. Dallas will be better, and the only playoff team that declined this summer is Houston, yet I think they'll still be better than Memphis. Not only would I be unsurprised to see the grizzlies miss this post season- I actually expect it. They just haven't kept up with the rest of the conference and this is the year where it catches up with them.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#9 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:49 pm

There is a good chance over next 3 seasons the Grizz dont make the playoffs. ZBO is 33, Gasol could leave via free agency and they dont have any solid prospects under 25 right now.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,731

Post#10 » by DowJones » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:28 pm

Cleveland should say no. I want to see what Haywood has. He looks good so far. Cleveland can use the full MLE next year for a solid big like Kosta Koufos and keep what will be a late lottery 1st.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,482

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:53 pm

DowJones wrote:Cleveland should say no. I want to see what Haywood has. He looks good so far. Cleveland can use the full MLE next year for a solid big like Kosta Koufos and keep what will be a late lottery 1st.

I don't agree with the Haywood - cause well I'm a Dallas fan and wasted way too much time watching him play..

But I agree with the rest.

Except I think Kosta will get 8 mil from a desperate team. He looked like a decent starting center when Gasol was out, he will have another year of development with Gasol.. He will get a nice offer. Or Gasol won't extend and the Grizzlies will overpay him to keep him around.

Still - If I was a fan of Cleveland, I'd rather sign some vet min guy like O'Neal or Okafor..or trade for some vet who can be had cheaper..then have or the 13th pick in 201 5-2016 and use the MLE on someone this summer.. Everyone needs to remember, Cleveland doesn't really need a star center - obviously they'd like one.. But all they need is a guy that can step up if AV does go down. AV is a very good center for the team s constructed- if healthy..
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 9:52 pm

This is a trade deadline deal if it happens. That Memphis pick could be a lottery pick in the next two years. The Cavs are very unlikely to have a lottery pick for a few years and they should not part with it lightly. They may or may not have a need for Mozgov depending on Haywood. If Denver is in the playoff hunt, I can't see them trading Mozgov. If they aren't, they have some long-term decisions to make about their team as currently constructed.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
skywalker33

Post#13 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 2, 2014 10:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:This is a trade deadline deal if it happens. That Memphis pick could be a lottery pick in the next two years. The Cavs are very unlikely to have a lottery pick for a few years and they should not part with it lightly. They may or may not have a need for Mozgov depending on Haywood. If Denver is in the playoff hunt, I can't see them trading Mozgov. If they aren't, they have some long-term decisions to make about their team as currently constructed.

Well, the deadline deal is possible, it's going to tell a lot about both teams. As for the Memphis lottery pick, I'm betting that 2016 is the best shot as Gasol becomes a FA after this year, but he is emphatic that he LOVES Memphis, in 2017 is when I see it being conveyed and there's no guarantee on what pick as it is only top 5 protected. I see it as a 15-23 pick myself, but who knows.

I do agree that if Denver isn't going to the playoffs, Mozgov (or McGee ?) is likely to be traded depending on trade value at the time, but at the deadline I think more teams will be in need of a competent big man, so supply and demand (along with the development of both C's) will dictate the trade that is made. Of course Koufos, Hibbert, Mahinmi, Monroe, etc (just to name a few) all could be on the block as well.....it's a crap shoot to say the least.

DowJones
RealGM

Post#14 » by DowJones » Thu Oct 2, 2014 10:59 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
DowJones wrote:Cleveland should say no. I want to see what Haywood has. He looks good so far. Cleveland can use the full MLE next year for a solid big like Kosta Koufos and keep what will be a late lottery 1st.

I don't agree with the Haywood - cause well I'm a Dallas fan and wasted way too much time watching him play..

Except I think Kosta will get 8 mil from a desperate team. He looked like a decent starting center when Gasol was out, he will have another year of development with Gasol.. He will get a nice offer. Or Gasol won't extend and the Grizzlies will overpay him to keep him around.

Still - If I was a fan of Cleveland, I'd rather sign some vet min guy like O'Neal or Okafor..or trade for some vet who can be had cheaper..then have or the 13th pick in 201 5-2016 and use the MLE on someone this summer.. Everyone needs to remember, Cleveland doesn't really need a star center - obviously they'd like one.. But all they need is a guy that can step up if AV does go down. AV is a very good center for the team s constructed- if healthy..

Koufos will be a backup all year this year so that should depress his value. I also think he may take the MLE offer from Cleveland over a $7 million deal with a different team. Koufos is from NE Ohio, played at Ohio State, and he would have to like his fit on this team.

Cleveland needs youth on cheap contracts. That is how you replenish your team. They have most of their draft picks but they did need to trade a few to get the cap-space for LeBron and then for Kevin Love. I don't like trading yet another one for Mozgov. I actually really like Mozgov. If Cleveland didn't have the full MLE to offer next summer, I may do the deal. However they do. They also have that Haywood contract. I just think we should keep the Memphis pick and hold off on one year for that center. I think Cleveland will certainly find a solid 5 next summer, so we are better off keeping the Memphis pick.
skywalker33

Post#15 » by skywalker33 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:19 am

DowJones wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Koufos will be a backup all year this year so that should depress his value. I also think he may take the MLE offer from Cleveland over a $7 million deal with a different team. Koufos is from NE Ohio, played at Ohio State, and he would have to like his fit on this team.

Cleveland needs youth on cheap contracts. That is how you replenish your team. They have most of their draft picks but they did need to trade a few to get the cap-space for LeBron and then for Kevin Love. I don't like trading yet another one for Mozgov. I actually really like Mozgov. If Cleveland didn't have the full MLE to offer next summer, I may do the deal. However they do. They also have that Haywood contract. I just think we should keep the Memphis pick and hold off on one year for that center. I think Cleveland will certainly find a solid 5 next summer, so we are better off keeping the Memphis pick.

SOUNDS like a good plan, but remember how many players you have to sign next year, Love isn't going to come cheap, Varajao isn't under contract (so you'll need two centers then), TT will want to get paid, heck even LBJ has a player option (although I see him waiting for the new CBA). Not everyone is going to come on the cheap just to win a possible championship, especially if they don't win the championship this year.

I do agree you have to continue to add youth, especially with LBJ turning 30 this year, but there's a better chance the MEM pick is a mid-level pick than a lottery pick. Probably the best bet to hold on to the pick if you believe it will be a lottery pick, but it'll just screw you a bit if it isn't. Don't you guys own a SAC 1st as well ??

DowJones
RealGM

Post#16 » by DowJones » Fri Oct 3, 2014 1:59 pm

Love will get the full max. Varejao will likely come back but on a much cheaper deal than his $9-$10 million this year. I see Andy getting something like 3 years/$15 million. Tristan is interesting. He will be expensive IF he has a good year and that is a good problem for Cleveland if it gets to that point.

No, Cleveland does not have that future Sacramento first but that would never be realized until Sacramento makes the playoffs and if they don't make the playoffs over the next few years then Cleveland would have received nothing.

I don't think this would be the worst move in the world. Like i said, I really like Mozgov. I really do. I think he would be an amazing fit with this team so part of me would be happy if we can make this deal. I just think we can get a good center next summer while keeping the Memphis pick. Cleveland will be loaded with assets next summer to improve the team.

-They have the full MLE to offer. I think Cleveland will get a very good player with that full MLE. I am not saying they get an All-Star, but they will get a productive piece.

-They have Haywood's contract for about $11 million. That deal isn't guaranteed so the value will be big. They can also combine Haywood with draft picks and a player like Dion Waiters if they really want.

-They have the TPE of about $6 million. That can be used to get a productive piece.

Cleveland won't use all of those options, but it is great to know that they can IF they want to.
AustinCarr61
Junior
And1: 224

Post#17 » by AustinCarr61 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:43 pm

DowJones wrote:-They have the full MLE to offer. I think Cleveland will get a very good player with that full MLE. I am not saying they get an All-Star, but they will get a productive piece.

-They have Haywood's contract for about $11 million. That deal isn't guaranteed so the value will be big. They can also combine Haywood with draft picks and a player like Dion Waiters if they really want.

-They have the TPE of about $6 million. That can be used to get a productive piece.

Cleveland won't use all of those options, but it is great to know that they can IF they want to.

DJ - not sure about your maths on this - particularly on using the full MLE.

- LBJ, Love and Kyrie combine for 90% of the cap, as their contracts all scale with it.
- Then we have $14.7m for Dion's option, Mike Miller and TT's QO.
- Another $5m for the min salaries of Marion, Jones, Delly and Harris
- And re-signing Andy for a year 1 $4m.

Against a $70m cap (i.e. a $85m luxury tax line and $89m apron) we're already at $86.7m from the above maths - and we've still got 1st round salaries and to fill out the roster.

To use the full MLE you are HARD capped at the apron, so we would have to dump a decent sized salary (probably TT) AND not use the Haywood contract or Bogans TPE to use the full MLE.

Or we can use both the trade chip contracts and the mini MLE, and add three pieces (4 with our own/CHI 1st rounder) rather than one.

Return to Trades and Transactions