Stupid Dallas/Philly trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,671

Stupid Dallas/Philly trade 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:37 pm

So it appears Charlie V is going to make this team which is a shock to me, but to his credit he is shooting lights out and you always need shooters. Plus the Mavs want to keep an open roster spot.

So Mekel and James are reportedly being shopped and they are obviously the least useful guys on gtd deals. So...

Mekel
James
2015 DAL 2nd

for

rights to some foreign guy or a top 55 protected 2nd.

Philly does Dallas a favor and gets a 2nd. I would throw in cash to off-set the salary, but with Philly below the floor it costs them nothing and thus Dallas should hold the cash for a future deal. The 2nd is nearly worthless considering how many Philly already has, but it builds goodwill maybe? Plus both guys won't hurt the tank, but will play hard.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,522

Re: Stupid Dallas/Philly trade 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:So it appears Charlie V is going to make this team which is a shock to me, but to his credit he is shooting lights out and you always need shooters. Plus the Mavs want to keep an open roster spot.

So Mekel and James are reportedly being shopped and they are obviously the least useful guys on gtd deals. So...

Mekel
James
2015 DAL 2nd

for

rights to some foreign guy or a top 55 protected 2nd.

Philly does Dallas a favor and gets a 2nd. I would throw in cash to off-set the salary, but with Philly below the floor it costs them nothing and thus Dallas should hold the cash for a future deal. The 2nd is nearly worthless considering how many Philly already has, but it builds goodwill maybe? Plus both guys won't hurt the tank, but will play hard.

Could you make it a second 2nd? The Mekel 2nd year being guaranteed, and him being almost twice as old as the rest of the team (26!), it's teh type of trade that there isn't enough reason to do. 2 2nds, and Philly does it. Might be cheaper to dump Mekel elsewhere, but I'm totally onboard with this idea, and using the Philly 2014 pick, protected 31-44 and 51-60 as your return.
Texas Chuck

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:05 pm

I'd rather just give you the cash so you could buy out that 2nd year if it was a real hang up. These are min contracts and the first 2 years are free to Philly. Can't be worth 2 2nd rounders. I feel like a 2nd for eating Mekel's 2nd year is already pretty fair value, but I'd give the cash just to get it done.*

* Dallas sucks at drafting so the cash is probably of more real value to Dallas, but I can dare to dream that we take it serious just once...
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HartfordWhalers

Post#4 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I'd rather just give you the cash so you could buy out that 2nd year if it was a real hang up. These are min contracts and the first 2 years are free to Philly. Can't be worth 2 2nd rounders. I feel like a 2nd for eating Mekel's 2nd year is already pretty fair value, but I'd give the cash just to get it done.*

* Dallas sucks at drafting so the cash is probably of more real value to Dallas, but I can dare to dream that we take it serious just once...

2nd and just mekel? James would be cut and is guaranteed.

/Old men quibbling over how to split the tip
Texas Chuck

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:33 pm

yeah that works. I thought you might actually want James. He's an undersized center, but he will block some shots and rebound. But yeah we could just cut him and eat the money and give Philly a 2nd to clear Mekel off next year's books.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:28 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

That legitimately made me laugh!

I immediately thought of Philly when I saw James and Mekel on the block. I guess that is par for the course whenever we hear of someone needing moved for space. I wonder if that is part of the holdup in the proposed Boston/Detroit talks. Wonder if they are trying to rope Philly in a third team to take on one of the guys.

Slight aside, I imagine Hinkie must get about 20 calls a day about things like this. "What would it take to get you to eat _____'s contract?"
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#7 » by ckchen » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

That legitimately made me laugh!

I immediately thought of Philly when I saw James and Mekel on the block. I guess that is par for the course whenever we hear of someone needing moved for space. I wonder if that is part of the holdup in the proposed Boston/Detroit talks. Wonder if they are trying to rope Philly in a third team to take on one of the guys.

Slight aside, I imagine Hinkie must get about 20 calls a day about things like this. "What would it take to get you to eat _____'s contract?"

I'll be honest, I don't know what Dallas is trying to clear the roster space for. The articles all say that they would just rather have 1-2 roster slots open. But to what end? Sounds like they should just waive James and sit on Mekel until they actually need that roster spot for something.
becorz
Veteran
And1: 507

Post#8 » by becorz » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:59 pm

I have to think someone would take Mekel of your hands without you having to add a second.
HartfordWhalers

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:26 pm

becorz wrote:I have to think someone would take Mekel of your hands without you having to add a second.

He has 2 years at the minimum, is already 26, and last season (admittedly small minutes) had a 5.4 per and a 40% TS%. He strikes me exactly as what you dump with a late 2nd, the Byron Mullens etc type that just aren't worth hanging on to.
Texas Chuck

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:36 pm

becorz wrote:I have to think someone would take Mekel of your hands without you having to add a second.

Kings are welcome to him. He was bad last year. He's looked more confident this pre-season both in practices and games, but I'd play Felton or Monta at PG before giving him minutes in a game that mattered. He's a pass-first PG who can't shoot the 3 and isn't a good defender. There are a few guys like that in the Association but they are becoming nearly extinct.

I actually think James is a fine 5th or 6th big. He plays hard, blocks shots, rebounds, and has decent hands offensively. His problem is he's undersized and at 30 he is who he is. He did have the most amazing one game D-league stint last year-- 38/18 on 18-20 FGA.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,701

Post#11 » by the_process » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:53 pm

I would like to do James and a 2nd for the Sixers 2015 31-45 and 51-60 protected 2nd. Sixers could actually use a big man. Then if DAL wanted to pony up 2m to cover Mekel I would take him off their hands too and immediately waive him.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#12 » by ckchen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:05 pm

oyoyer wrote:I would like to do James and a 2nd for the Sixers 2015 31-45 and 51-60 protected 2nd. Sixers could actually use a big man. Then if DAL wanted to pony up 2m to cover Mekel I would take him off their hands too and immediately waive him.

James is a nearly 30 yr old fringe player who's been waived and re-signed by Dallas before. No one is out there waiting to claim him, let along trade for him. Is his salary even guaranteed? If not, I don't see why Dallas would even bother attaching a pick to get rid of him, since he's an expiring deal at a limited pricetag anyway. It's Mekel that they'd need to tie a pick and cash to because of his 2nd guaranteed year.
the_process
RealGM

Post#13 » by the_process » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:06 pm

ckchen wrote:
oyoyer wrote:I would like to do James and a 2nd for the Sixers 2015 31-45 and 51-60 protected 2nd. Sixers could actually use a big man. Then if DAL wanted to pony up 2m to cover Mekel I would take him off their hands too and immediately waive him.

James is a nearly 30 yr old fringe player who's been waived and re-signed by Dallas before. No one is out there waiting to claim him, let along trade for him. Is his salary even guaranteed? If not, I don't see why Dallas would even bother attaching a pick to get rid of him, since he's an expiring deal at a limited pricetag anyway. It's Mekel that they'd need to tie a pick and cash to because of his 2nd guaranteed year.

James can't be traded until December 14th according to trade machine. Hmmm. Well, let's say the Sixers get a 2nd plus 2m for taking Mekel. Ware gets cut, everyone calls it even.

Or if he can be traded now and trade machine is wrong... what about James, Mekel, Felton, and a 2015 1st lotto protected for JRich? Yes Dallas takes on about 1m in salary this year, but they open a roster spot and get Felton completely off the books next year for the cost of a (give or take a slot) 26 pick. For the Sixers, spending 3.8m on a late 1st isn't fantastic, but it's solid and exactly the type of move they should be using their cap space for.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#14 » by Knosh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:56 pm

I'm not really buying that report. James was signed in September as the 15th guaranteed guy and then the Mavs go ahead and shop him in October, because they want to keep a roster spot open? Seems like they just wouldn't have signed him in that case...

I'm fine with spending a second or whatever to get rid of Mekel to make room for Charlie V, but the Mavs should really just cut James if they want to get rid of him. It doesn't affect anything but Cuban's wallet and he should be fine with that, so no need to spend a 2nd on that.

Chuck Texas wrote:
So Mekel and James are reportedly being shopped and they are obviously the least useful guys on gtd deals.

Is it really that obvious? I see James as the 3rd center in certain matchups (where Wright doesn't work), so you would really need him if Chandler or Smith are injured.
I would probably cut Jefferson before James, because I'm a lot less worried about the depth on the wings.

HartfordWhalers wrote:

He has 2 years at the minimum, is already 26, and last season (admittedly small minutes) had a 5.4 per and a 40% TS%. He strikes me exactly as what you dump with a late 2nd, the Byron Mullens etc type that just aren't worth hanging on to.

Fwiw it was also his first season in the nba and you could clearly see that he hadn't adjusted to the 3 point line, a lot of his attempts being short. In the limited minutes he got in preseason so far his shot looks much better and he is 8/14 on FGA and 3/5 on 3P. If he can score at an acceptable rate I see him as a fine 3rd string PG on a fair contract.
Texas Chuck

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:09 pm

Knosh,

I'd keep James over Jefferson too--especially if Charlie V is the reason someone has to go. Heck at this point I'd keep James over Smith who has been absolutely dreadful this pre-season. But Rick just doesn't seem to trust him. And I know he would actually put Jefferson into games when a regular rotation guy was out.

And I still think we need another true center, but maybe Smith can really be that guy, but so far he doesn't look like it. We are in real trouble when Chandler misses games.
bigmean
Assistant Coach
And1: 133

Post#16 » by bigmean » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:05 am

I would do a

Dallas gets
Casper Ware ( to be waived)
Arnett Moutlire

Philly gets
Ricky Ledo
Greg smith
Gal Mekel

Bernard James cannot be traded until Dec 15
the_process
RealGM

Post#17 » by the_process » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 am

bigmean wrote:I would do a

Dallas gets
Casper Ware (to be waived)
Arnett Moultrie

Philly gets
Ricky Ledo
Greg Smith
Gal Mekel

Bernard James cannot be traded until Dec 15

I don't think this is terrible, either; although I don't see Dallas moving Smith, he's their only real backup C.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#18 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:18 pm

It's not a bad deal which could use some modification. I'd go for this deal to be honest:

Dallas: Arnett Moultrie
Philadelphia: Raymond Felton, Gel Mekel, Bernard James, lotto protected first/2 seconds and cash for Mekel.

I think this would work since the 76ers have plenty of cap space and would be willing to eat some deals knowing that it doesn't mess with their cap space in the long run plus they seem willing to move on from Moultrie.

Dallas does it to clear roster spots and to get out of Mekel and Felton's deals.
ckchen
Veteran

Post#19 » by ckchen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:43 pm

slicedbread2 wrote:It's not a bad deal which could use some modification. I'd go for this deal to be honest:

Dallas: Arnett Moultrie
Philadelphia: Raymond Felton, Gel Mekel, Bernard James, lotto protected first/2 seconds and cash for Mekel.

I think this would work since the 76ers have plenty of cap space and would be willing to eat some deals knowing that it doesn't mess with their cap space in the long run plus they seem willing to move on from Moultrie.

Dallas does it to clear roster spots and to get out of Mekel and Felton's deals.

Moultrie seems to be playing much better and probably will be kept. At this point, they'd probably rather do the deal for nonguaranteed roster player, or considering the amount of salaries coming back in this deal (Felton + his option, multiple years of Mekel, and James - more likely someone like Jason Richardson. I don't think they do the deal for 2 2nds because of the contracts, but the first, sure. I think we've also already established that James can't even be traded until December, but maybe they throw in Greg Smith instead.

Dallas: JRich
Philly: Felton, Mekel, Smith, lotto protected 1st.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#20 » by Knosh » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:02 pm

Don't know why the Mavs would need to salary dump Felton right now. They wouldn't gain any cap space to speak of for this season. Might as well use Felton to match salaries to bring in someone useful closer to the deadline or dump his salary next season.
Trading Felton and Mekel both at the same time would mean the roster would lack PG depth.
I'm not interested in dumping Smith for the same reasons as Bernard James unless a useful backup C is coming back.

To me it's really only Mekel that could be traded sometime soon.

Return to Trades and Transactions