Draft reform voted down

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Draft reform voted down 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/524938287324991488[/tweet]
HartfordWhalers

Re: Draft reform voted down 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:20 pm

SIXERS WIN THE CUP. THE SIXERS WIN THE CUP. THE SIXERS DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HartfordWhalers

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Also, I cannot decide if this was really good for that LAL/Phx owned pick, or really bad, but they seemed to be the other teams most effected.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,087

Post#4 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:21 pm

I know it's early, but what do the Sixers do with a top 3 pick? and where do they go in the offseason?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:23 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I know it's early, but what do the Sixers do with a top 3 pick? and where do they go in the offseason?

Draft the best injured center available?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:23 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I know it's early, but what do the Sixers do with a top 3 pick? and where do they go in the offseason?

Wait to find out which top 5 prospect is injured, then bring Embiid along as a 2nd year rookie, and repeat

Of course chuck beat me to it... :lol:
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#7 » by Smitty731 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I do think that after Philly has committed to what they are doing, it is a little unfair to change the rules. I think any changes to the way the Draft works should be something that takes place 2-3 seasons down the road. Give every team a fair playing field to get their house in order.
HartfordWhalers

Post#8 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I do think that after Philly has committed to what they are doing, it is a little unfair to change the rules. I think any changes to the way the Draft works should be something that takes place 2-3 seasons down the road. Give every team a fair playing field to get their house in order.

I've felt the jump between the odds at the top was too steep.

The odds started with 16.67% for the top team (too low), then switch to 25% (too high)

If they switched the odds from:
250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the #1 pick
199 combinations, 19.9% chance
156 combinations, 15.6% chance
119 combinations, 11.9% chance
88 combinations, 8.8% chance
63 combinations, 6.3% chance
43 combinations, 4.3% chance
28 combinations, 2.8% chance
17 combinations, 1.7% chance
11 combinations, 1.1% chance
8 combinations, 0.8% chance
7 combinations, 0.7% chance
6 combinations, 0.6% chance
5 combinations, 0.5% chance

To:
200 combinations, 20% chance of receiving the #1 pick (down 5%)
175 combinations, 17.5% chance (down 2.4%)
150 combinations, 15% chance (down .6%)
125 combinations, 12.5% chance (up .6%)
100 combinations, 10% chance (up 1.2%)
80 combinations, 8.0% chance (up 1.7%)
60 combinations, 6.0% chance (up 1.7%)
40 combinations, 4.0% chance (up 1.2%)
20 combinations, 2.0% chance (up .3%)
15 combinations, 1.5% chance (up .4%)
10 combinations, 1.0% chance (up .2%)
8 combinations, 0.8% chance (up .1%)
6 combinations, 0.6% chance
5 combinations, 0.5% chance

I think changing is better for the NBA, fairer, and could be done midstream (right now)
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#9 » by djthesonicsfan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:51 pm

They did also mention they will still consider other reform. Personally, I'm in favor of the wheel system where statistically, over time, every team gets equal draft picks.
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#10 » by sonictecture » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I do think that after Philly has committed to what they are doing, it is a little unfair to change the rules. I think any changes to the way the Draft works should be something that takes place 2-3 seasons down the road. Give every team a fair playing field to get their house in order.

I believe it is Philadelphia's commitment that forced the competition committee to consider lottery reform.

There have been a lot of irregularities since the lottery came about, but it took the commitment of Hinkie & Sixer ownership for the competition committee to consider reform.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:14 pm

Honestly, I know it gets a ton of hate, but I'd just rather they scrap the whole lottery and do a straight draft worst to first.

I think it would actually make tanking long term less of an issue, and teams would be less inclined to tank for years on end, maybe they'd do it a year or 2 to rebuild, but then go for it. As of now, there's no guarantee a team gets a top pick and could end up just trying to win the lotto for years on end.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#12 » by LApwnd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:23 pm

bondom34 wrote:Honestly, I know it gets a ton of hate, but I'd just rather they scrap the whole lottery and do a straight draft worst to first.

I think it would actually make tanking long term less of an issue, and teams would be less inclined to tank for years on end, maybe they'd do it a year or 2 to rebuild, but then go for it. As of now, there's no guarantee a team gets a top pick and could end up just trying to win the lotto for years on end.

doesn't guaranteeing worst to 1st pick make it that much easier to tank? I know the NFL has some sort of rule even if you have b2b worse season you don't get b2b #1 picks, or something along those lines.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:27 pm

LApwnd wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Honestly, I know it gets a ton of hate, but I'd just rather they scrap the whole lottery and do a straight draft worst to first.

doesn't guaranteeing worst to 1st pick make it that much easier to tank? I know the NFL has some sort of rule even if you have b2b worse season you don't get b2b #1 picks, or something along those lines.

It makes it easier for a year, but what I'm saying is say a team gets the number 1 pick for one year, getting the star they've wanted, wouldn't it make it a little less likely they keep sucking? Say Philly would tank, then get the 4th pick, getting a solid but not outstanding player. They tank again, getting the 5th pick, same thing. They tank again, getting 3rd, a little better, and on and on. Instead, they tank once, get the best player on the board, then the incentive to keep doing it for more years could be lessened. I get the risks with the idea, but just think it would end up being better overall.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by sonictecture » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:28 pm

The only reason the lottery was instituted was because teams realized they could tank a given season where a projected franchise player was scheduled to be available in the draft, cough, Houston, cough. The idea of the lottery was to take away the guarantee that if you tanked hard to skew the system in your favor that you wouldn't necessarily receive you reward.

The lottery works in that teams that tank with purpose aren't guaranteed the first pick, this has been proven, but now that analytics are being used by front offices, the numbers still say that tanking is the best way to have a chance at superstar talent. This will be the case as long as the worst team is guaranteed a top 4 pick. You might remember that this wasn't always the case, early years of bad lottery luck for teams forced the change by the competition committee. If the guarantee at a top 4 pick was removed again then owners would be less likely to green light a pure tanking strategy.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 pm

sonictecture wrote:

The only reason the lottery was instituted was because teams realized they could tank a given season where a projected franchise player was scheduled to be available in the draft, cough, Houston, cough. The idea of the lottery was to take away the guarantee that if you tanked hard to skew the system in your favor that you wouldn't necessarily receive you reward.

The lottery works in that teams that tank with purpose aren't guaranteed the first pick, this has been proven, but now that analytics are being used by front offices, the numbers still say that tanking is the best way to have a chance at superstar talent. This will be the case as long as the worst team is guaranteed a top 4 pick. You might remember that this wasn't always the case, early years of bad lottery luck for teams forced the change by the competition committee. If the guarantee at a top 4 pick was removed again then owners would be less likely to green light a pure tanking strategy.

True, there are definitely some (potentially big) downsides to a straight draft. I just feel like the league is trying to find ways to fix the lottery every year at this point, and really don't know if there's a better way. If they want to give bad teams top picks, just do it or don't do it, instead of the current system where I almost feel like they're half-arsing it.
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#16 » by N.O.R.E. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:46 pm

I'm glad this got voted down.

Everyone points to the Sixers, without thinking about what the ramifications of the proposed changes.
Teams that have a star player go down would be able to dip into the lottery and would have a much improved chance at taking talent from a truly bad and rebuilding team. These teams are the ones that need the picks the most.
HartfordWhalers

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:56 pm

sonictecture wrote:

But there is just about no draft where the franchise talent is projected to still be there at 4. Most years it is none or one player total, and even in the 2014 draft bonanza it was at most 3.

So, tanking has really always been about a 25% at a Lebron at #1, versus a guarantee of a Cody Zeller at #4, to take 2 extremes.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#18 » by ckchen » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 am

BizGilwalker wrote:

Wait to find out which top 5 prospect is injured, then bring Embiid along as a 2nd year rookie, and repeat

Of course chuck beat me to it... :lol:

Even though it's all joking - it's this kind of attitude that's ridiculous. People are acting like Sixers willfully drafted an injured Embiid specifically to be bad again this year. Yet everyone seems to forget that it was a completely forgone conclusion that prior to Embiid's injury, he was almost certainly the #1 pick and going to the Cavs and that the Sixers were all-in on Wiggins.

Would that have made a difference? If the Sixers had drafted Wiggins would they still be ridiculed as trying to tank? I think it's ludicrous that people make these kind of statements without realizing that the Sixers are just playing the cards that are dealt to them. They took the best player left on the board when their pick came up, period.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by sonictecture » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
sonictecture wrote:

But there is just about no draft where the franchise talent is projected to still be there at 4. Most years it is none or one player total, and even in the 2014 draft bonanza it was at most 3.

So, tanking has really always been about a 25% at a Lebron at #1, versus a guarantee of a Cody Zeller at #4, to take 2 extremes.

Look again through the draft history and you will see that franchise level talent is still there at 4 or beyond 4 in most drafts. Franchise players aren't always drafted top 4, but that is a reflection of bad decision making and the difficulty of knowing which player is going to really work once they become millionaires.
HartfordWhalers

Post#20 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 pm

sonictecture wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
sonictecture wrote:The only reason the lottery was instituted was because teams realized they could tank a given season where a projected franchise player was scheduled to be available in the draft, cough, Houston, cough. The idea of the lottery was to take away the guarantee that if you tanked hard to skew the system in your favor that you wouldn't necessarily receive you reward.

Look again through the draft history and you will see that franchise level talent is still there at 4 or beyond 4 in most drafts. Franchise players aren't always drafted top 4, but that is a reflection of bad decision making and the difficulty of knowing which player is going to really work once they become millionaires.

Thats a silly argument.

Sure, 1 of the next 26 players is in general a franchise player. However, having a very small chance at one -- just like everyone else isn't much help.

There is a chance you get a franchise player in the second round. It is all about the odds of actually getting one.

Return to Trades and Transactions