OKC/Minnesota

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

OKC/Minnesota 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Saw this posted on CH, I like it for OKC, and Wolves fans there seemed cool with it, figured I'd see:

OKC Out: Perkins/Lamb
In: Brewer/Turiaf/Barea

Minnesota Out: Brewer/Turiaf/Barea
In: Perkins/Lamb

Reasons: Minnesota moves one of the redundant wing guys plus Barea, gets back a shooting guard prospect as well.

OKC moves Perk for an equally/more productive backup big, gets a good wing player and a 3rd string PG who's bad, but probably still better than Telfair.

It also works as Perk/2015 first for Brewer/Turiaf/Heslip after December 14 I think.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Re: OKC/Minnesota 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Brewer/Turiaf/Mo for Perk/Lamb/2015 1st
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#3 » by Smitty731 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 pm

bondom34 wrote:Saw this posted on CH, I like it for OKC, and Wolves fans there seemed cool with it, figured I'd see:

Reasons: Minnesota moves one of the redundant wing guys plus Barea, gets back a shooting guard prospect as well.

OKC moves Perk for an equally/more productive backup big, gets a good wing player and a 3rd string PG who's bad, but probably still better than Telfair.

It also works as Perk/2015 first for Brewer/Turiaf/Heslip after December 14 I think.

The second deal would require Minnesota releasing a second guaranteed contract next week, when they already have to drop one just to get down to 15 contracts. I can't see that happening.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Saw this posted on CH, I like it for OKC, and Wolves fans there seemed cool with it, figured I'd see:

The second deal would require Minnesota releasing a second guaranteed contract next week, when they already have to drop one just to get down to 15 contracts. I can't see that happening.

Yeah, I initially thought it worked w/o them releasing anyone, but I think it would mean OKC having to take Bud instead of Brewer, and I really don't have interest in Bud.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:33 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Brewer/Turiaf/Mo for Perk/Lamb/2015 1st

I'd love this, I just don't think they move Mo that fast.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#6 » by sonictecture » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 pm

I guess if you want a host of mediocre to bad veterans on the team now is the time to do it. As soon as Perkins contract expires there won't be a contract to match up with this collection of awfulness.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:55 pm

sonictecture wrote:I guess if you want a host of mediocre to bad veterans on the team now is the time to do it. As soon as Perkins contract expires there won't be a contract to match up with this collection of awfulness.

With the exception of Brewer, they all expire this year. I view Brewer as a decent bench player on a reasonable contract. Turiaf is cheaper than Perk, and Barea's expiring and would rarely see the court. The SG/SF depth on the team now isn't great to me.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by sonictecture » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 pm

bondom34 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:I guess if you want a host of mediocre to bad veterans on the team now is the time to do it. As soon as Perkins contract expires there won't be a contract to match up with this collection of awfulness.

With the exception of Brewer, they all expire this year. I view Brewer as a decent bench player on a reasonable contract. Turiaf is cheaper than Perk, and Barea's expiring and would rarely see the court. The SG/SF depth on the team now isn't great to me.

Brewer isn't a player I would be interested in.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:34 pm

sonictecture wrote:
bondom34 wrote:

Eh, personal difference I guess, I'd take him over anyone on the roster other than Morrow off the bench.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by sonictecture » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:40 pm

bondom34 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:
bondom34 wrote:With the exception of Brewer, they all expire this year. I view Brewer as a decent bench player on a reasonable contract. Turiaf is cheaper than Perk, and Barea's expiring and would rarely see the court. The SG/SF depth on the team now isn't great to me.

Eh, personal difference I guess, I'd take him over anyone on the roster other than Morrow off the bench.

Is it his 3 point shooting and defense that draws you to him?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 pm

sonictecture wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:Brewer isn't a player I would be interested in.

Shooting is good, his defense I think is a little overrated but still solid (he gambles for steals a lot, which is generally something the Thunder do anyway), he's a good athlete and only 28. He's paid under 5 mil a year and I think would be a great energy presence off the bench. He'd likely be the 2nd best shooter behind Morrow as well, only with better defense than he has.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by sonictecture » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 pm

bondom34 wrote:
sonictecture wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Eh, personal difference I guess, I'd take him over anyone on the roster other than Morrow off the bench.

Shooting is good, his defense I think is a little overrated but still solid (he gambles for steals a lot, which is generally something the Thunder do anyway), he's a good athlete and only 28. He's paid under 5 mil a year and I think would be a great energy presence off the bench. He'd likely be the 2nd best shooter behind Morrow as well, only with better defense than he has.

Brewer's career percentage from 3pt land is .295. For a guy that struggles to create his own shot and relies on others and benefited from leaking out for Kevin Love outlet passes, I'm going to have to disagree that his shooting his good.

His defense is bad too. He is weak physically, gambles to the point that it hurts the team concept and gives up on plays.

Brewer is a trap player. A veteran that averaged 12 ppg and will make 4.7M& 4.9M this year and next but his skill level and team fit are extremely limited. He plays minutes, but that shouldn't be reason enough to want him.

Gerald Green or Wilson Chandler would be a better targets, with an eye on Paul Pierce at the trade deadline.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bondom34 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:41 pm

sonictecture wrote:Gerald Green or Wilson Chandler would be a better targets, with an eye on Paul Pierce at the trade deadline.

I'd be thrilled with any of these 3 (though I don't know when Pierce will eventually decline). Also, I'm a dummy and was looking at the wrong numbers on Brewer's shooting percentages :banghead: .

Actually, just sayin, but Green fits into the TPE from Thabo..... :D
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#14 » by breatnach » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:56 pm

I don't like it for MIN.

The only thing of value is one additional roster space and getting rid of Barea. Lamb won't see much time with Martin, Budinger and LaVine all at the 2 spot. MIN does not need to assemble more youth, but some veterans who can lead the youth they already have on their roster.

Brewer, Turiaf are two guys who can provide that veteran leadership and are fan favorites due to their energy and hard-nosed play. Perkins on the other hand is a bad player on an even worse contract, which I want no part of.

EDIT:

Make it Budinger + Barea for Perkins + 2nd round pick
Saltine
Lead Assistant
And1: 911

Post#15 » by Saltine » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 am

No way Minny does this. We like Mo, Turiaf, and Brewer... JJ can go.

None of us like Perkins.
Lamb? what for?
We have Wiggins, Lavine, Bazz, and GR3 who need minutes on the wing.

I can't believe any of us said we'd do this deal, lol
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,426

Post#16 » by shrink » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 am

My god man, if you call the MIN guys on $4 mil contracts "mediocre to bad," what word do you have left to describe Perkins on a $9 mil deal?

Seriously though, let me make this simple. The money is roughly the same, so which side do you think will produce more for that money?

I don't mind eating Perkins contract, but if you want to turn Perkins, a less-than-mediocre guy paid more than the two MIN pieces combined, into two productive "mediocre" players, Lamb is not enough incentive to make that happen.

OP - what's CH?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,839

Post#17 » by Domejandro » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:13 am

I would do the top one to open our final roster spot. Brewer is massively underrated on here, stat watchers and opinion readers are hating on him too much. He is better than every Thunder bench player other than Jackson, but I think Jackson is starting from my limited knowledge, so in all he is an upgrade for you guys. He is just redundant on our team.

I would love the option to be able to swap seconds in 2017 to go with it though.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,426

Post#18 » by shrink » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:23 am

Btw - I almostfelt like I should "And1" this deal simply because Pekovic isn't in it!
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by bondom34 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 am

shrink wrote:

My god man, if you call the MIN guys on $4 mil contracts "mediocre to bad," what word do you have left to describe Perkins on a $9 mil deal?

Seriously though, let me make this simple. The money is roughly the same, so which side do you think will produce more for that money?

I don't mind eating Perkins contract, but if you want to turn Perkins, a less-than-mediocre guy paid more than the two MIN pieces combined, into two productive "mediocre" players, Lamb is not enough incentive to make that happen.

OP - what's CH?

Canus Hoopus (SB Nation Blog for the Wolves)
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by sonictecture » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:19 pm

shrink wrote:

OP - what's CH?

Perkins is a poorly performing player to his contract, but has given the team value as a team leader and as a limited minutes player in the playoffs. The larger point is Perkins is finally expiring, so why take the resources his salary slot will provide for a player like Brewer and the extra year of his contract. There are so many other ways I'd like to spend that money.

Return to Trades and Transactions