Bradley Beal vs Dion Waiters- who would you rather?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Who would you rather have in a vacuum?

Bradley Beal
95%
Dion Waiters
5%

Total votes: 38

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Bradley Beal vs Dion Waiters- who would you rather? 

Post#1 » by cl2117 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:12 pm

As an offshoot of a discussion from one of the other threads: in a vacuum, who do you think is a better player Bradley Beal or Dion Waiters?

I was really impressed with Waiters' numbers after a Cavs fan on here (can't remember who, but feel free to take credit if it was you) pointed out how well he performed last year when given the opportunity to take on a larger role down the stretch. I looked into the numbers and they showed some real promise that I just didn't associate with Waiters at the time. That being said I still take Beal 10 times out of 10. I know the numbers are similar, but Beal for me has more upside to his game and maybe it's more of a gut feeling/the eye test, but I would confidently bet on Beal as being the better player next year and into the future if I had the option of choosing between the two.

Who ya got?
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Re: Bradley Beal vs Dion Waiters- who would you rather? 

Post#2 » by Dupp » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Obviously beal and in before waiters hate.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,247

Post#3 » by mademan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Probably rather have Beal cause of age, though I dont get all the hype with him. He doesn't produce any better than Waiters. He's getting the Harrison Barnes treatment this offseason..medicore player/prospect who had a strong post-season getting overrated. It's a tale as old as time
CAVS ARE BACK
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#4 » by CAVS ARE BACK » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:30 pm

I don't care what the stats say, Dion is an overrated chucker and a headcase. If LEBRON wants him gone he's gone. And if he does well this year, it is only because he is riding LeBron's coattails. D-Leaguer.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#5 » by bondom34 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:34 pm

mademan wrote:Probably rather have Beal cause of age, though I dont get all the hype with him. He doesn't produce any better than Waiters. He's getting the Harrison Barnes treatment this offseason..medicore player/prospect who had a strong post-season getting overrated. It's a tale as old as time

This is exactly what I feel. But I'd take him over Waiters based on the fact that he's younger and doesn't seem to have the same "chucker" feel to him.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,080

Post#6 » by JDR720 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:36 pm

Beal, simply because he is the better shooter and is less crazy
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#7 » by HornetJail » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Beal. Better shooter, better defender. I'm not going to say no contest, because Waiters has his moments and Beal is hurt a lot, but it's fairly clear cut for me.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#8 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:01 am

Waiters is borderline elite when it comes to creating off the dribble, which is not something one really develops all that much after entering the league. Essentially, Waiters shooting will probably be better than Beal's creating off the dribble when it is said and done. Could be some fun match ups to watch next Spring.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
AkronsFinest91
Junior
And1: 200

Post#9 » by AkronsFinest91 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:46 am

CAVS ARE BACK wrote:I don't care what the stats say, Dion is an overrated chucker and a headcase. If LEBRON wants him gone he's gone. And if he does well this year, it is only because he is riding LeBron's coattails. D-Leaguer.

I don't think you know what a chucker is. A chucker is someone who does not operate within a team's offense and instead is out there to get his own. They take ill advised shots that are often contested, early in the shot clock, or are generally low percentage. None of those quality describe Waiters. Does Dion have his warts? Yes. No one who supports him is going to say he is a flawless player, but too often the "he's an inconsistent shooter", "he's a chucker", pops up from people who have not watched our team the past few years with Dion on it.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 am

CAVS ARE BACK wrote:I don't care what the stats say, Dion is an overrated chucker and a headcase. If LEBRON wants him gone he's gone. And if he does well this year, it is only because he is riding LeBron's coattails. D-Leaguer.

I'm glad you've formed this very educated opinion of dion in your couple of months being a cavs fan
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#11 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 am

Dupp wrote:

I'm glad you've formed this very educated opinion of dion in your couple of months being a cavs fan

Ironically, Waiters would actually consider him a supporter, not a fan.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#12 » by damecurry » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:10 am

Better Shooter- beal
Better Defender- beal
Better off-court history, i.e. less drama- beal
Beal and Waiters were in very similar situations, their rosters really weren't much different, beal got along great with wall and made it to the 2nd round. Dion got on poorly and didn't make the playoffs.

I think Dion is a legit 3rd option scoring guard and will get better than he was last year. I don't think beal is a ton better but I don't see any real advantage he has and I do think bradley, along with klay, has a much higher ceiling than some realize. They could both be pretty dominant 2 way players down the road. Not sure I see that for Dion.
CAVS ARE BACK
Sophomore
And1: 91

Post#13 » by CAVS ARE BACK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:19 am

Did I really have to provide green font?
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#14 » by nykballa2k4 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:58 am

mademan wrote:Probably rather have Beal cause of age, though I dont get all the hype with him. He doesn't produce any better than Waiters. He's getting the Harrison Barnes treatment this offseason..medicore player/prospect who had a strong post-season getting overrated. It's a tale as old as time

Beal is a good shooter and not a terrible defender. Rare combination these day.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
jeeph
Senior
And1: 557

Post#15 » by jeeph » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:23 am

At the moment, it depends on if that particular team needed a guy that can create. If Waiters would become the second best creator on that team then he would be the choice. Otherwise it's Beal.
improvisor
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#16 » by improvisor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:05 am

What Waiters did off the bench and with less minutes last season and the fact that the numbers are comparable is why I pick dion. His defense is underrated and he got a bad rep with fans outside of the NBA. Waiters also got a better fg% which means he can score inside and out better than Beal.

Sent from my QMV7B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#17 » by Narf » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:52 am

AkronsFinest91 wrote:

I don't think you know what a chucker is. A chucker is someone who does not operate within a team's offense and instead is out there to get his own. They take ill advised shots that are often contested, early in the shot clock, or are generally low percentage. None of those quality describe Waiters. Does Dion have his warts? Yes. No one who supports him is going to say he is a flawless player, but too often the "he's an inconsistent shooter", "he's a chucker", pops up from people who have not watched our team the past few years with Dion on it.

I'm sorry, what was Waiters TS% again?
How many FGAs per 36 did he take with that terrible TS%?
That's a chucker.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#18 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 am

Narf wrote:
AkronsFinest91 wrote:

That's a chucker.

No that's a team with only a second year player and third year player that has the ability to score the ball, then eventually we added deng to that. We had no one on our roster that could score, dion had to take that role and he didn't even have that high of a fga's
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#19 » by jpengland » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:08 am

Beal. Smarter, better shooter, better defender, better shot selection and less 'drama'.

Waiters is a ticking time bomb.
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#20 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:15 am

Narf wrote:
AkronsFinest91 wrote:

That's a chucker.

Are you even trying to make a point here?

Return to Trades and Transactions