Greg Monroe to the Spurs

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Greg Monroe to the Spurs 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Greg Monroe for Jeff Ayres, Marco Belinelli and a 2015 first round pick

Pistons add a draft pick while clearing the clutter in their frontcourt and Spurs add depth for one last title run on the cheap.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Re: Greg Monroe to the Spurs 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Assuming this is Duncan's last year, I think the Spurs would just sign Monroe next summer if they want him. There's no need to give up value for him when they can sign him outright in a year, especially when Duncan is still around.

Plus that 1st probably becomes the next Ginobili or something anyway.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Putrid value for the Pistons anyway !
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#4 » by HornetJail » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:38 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Putrid value for the Pistons anyway !

Monroe has almost no value. Monroe has one foot out the door already, and the other foot is halfway out as well.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
skywalker33

Post#5 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:

Monroe has almost no value. Monroe has one foot out the door already, and the other foot is halfway out as well.

That may be true, but Monroe IS worth more than what is being offered. I'd bet he'd stay in SA.

HornetJail
RealGM

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:48 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:

That may be true, but Monroe IS worth more than what is being offered. I'd bet he'd stay in SA.

I don't disagree, but you have to think that any team that trades for him is going to pay less than his on-court value given his contract situation, and the fact that Detroit has almost no use for him assuming they're committed to Drummond/Smith in the front court. Detroit holds very little leverage in a Monroe trade and I'd be very surprised if any team actually trades any real value for him, considering they will not even have his Bird Rights to be able to re-sign him. They will have to use their cap space to re-sign him anyway. So what's the point?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#7 » by Mykhyn » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Ya Monroe isn't worth a pick at this point
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Never disagreed with any of your points, just think what the OP offered to DET for Monroe sucked.

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#9 » by sportscrazy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:Monroe has almost no value. Monroe has one foot out the door already, and the other foot is halfway out as well.

I don't disagree, but you have to think that any team that trades for him is going to pay less than his on-court value given his contract situation, and the fact that Detroit has almost no use for him assuming they're committed to Drummond/Smith in the front court. Detroit holds very little leverage in a Monroe trade and I'd be very surprised if any team actually trades any real value for him, considering they will not even have his Bird Rights to be able to re-sign him. They will have to use their cap space to re-sign him anyway. So what's the point?

That's why I figured the Spurs are in a rare circumstance where they can go all in on this year and take advantage of the value here.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Doddage
Veteran
And1: 1,852

Post#10 » by Doddage » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:37 pm

Any Monroe trade needs his approval to go through. It's reasonable to expect him not to be enticed by a situation like San Antonio where he'd be battling for minutes in an already set frontcourt rotation. He'd probably get paid regardless, but he'll still want to maximize his production/value heading into next year's free agency.
He Filled it Up
Veteran
And1: 1,439

Post#11 » by He Filled it Up » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:02 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:

Even if that's true, he still has significant on the court value this season, and certainly more than this package.
Count that baby and a foul!
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#12 » by dVs33 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Monroe's trade value doesn't match his on court value for Detroit this season.
Detroit is better off trying to be a competitive team (or at least moving in that direction) and convincing him to re-sign than taking on nothing players.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:00 pm

dVs33 wrote:Monroe's trade value doesn't match his on court value for Detroit this season.
Detroit is better off trying to be a competitive team (or at least moving in that direction) and convincing him to re-sign than taking on nothing players.

Great take. Even if Monroe plays out of his mind amazing, he's not going to build his trade value, as more than likely, whomever acquires him would only be doing so as a rental, since his Bird Rights don't go along with him in trade. Other than a few teams projecting max cap space (and if Monroe plays out of his mind amazing, would demand close to max cap), no one else could afford to trade for him with the plans of keeping him. And if he plays poorly, his trade value drops even more.

There are times when a players contractual status actually are more of a hindrance to trade value than on court production. Detroit is essentially the only team that would have Bird Rights on him. If Monroe plays well, it may ultimately be better for the franchise to take the chance at re-signing him than dealing him for a late 1st, or bad contracts.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#14 » by old rem » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:29 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:

Monroe's future is unclear. It seems that with no Bird rights ...you need $10 mill + in cap space or he's gone. Is he worth it? Maybe to some teams. Probably not the Spurs. No.. that's a weak return for the Pistons.. but they let the train go off the tracks so... they can't salvage much.
CENSORED... No comment.
Jaseface
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#15 » by Jaseface » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:

"Almost no value?" Come on Biz. Even you know that's bunk.

If you trade him to a team that is willing to open up the wallet for him, start him and a team that provides a winning environment (three things Detroit has been reluctant to do/be), then the chances of resigning him greatly, greatly increase.
youOK
Pro Prospect
And1: 569

Post#16 » by youOK » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:18 am

Greg Monroe won't be able to fetch much, if anything at all. The only teams that aren't over the cap right now (http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nba/) are:

Hawks (Have Horford/Millsap don't need)
Jazz (Have Gobert/Favors/Kanter don't need)
Suns (could be an intriguing fit here)
Magic (Have Frye/Gordon/Vuc don't need)
Bucks (have Parker/Henson/Sanders don't need)
Sixers (have Noel/Embiid/Saric don't need)

The only team out of these that I could see him going to would be the suns. I'm not sure they want him so bad that they would give up anything of significant value for him though.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#17 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:33 am

Spurs players are all overrated inherently

Without pop it's like they can only play to 70 percent of their spurs value

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#18 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:41 am

Exactly,

Posters need to understand that Moose signing the QO doesn't mean he has no value, but lesser value. HOWEVER he's still contracted to play this year, and he's still one of the better offensive young centers in the league and still developing. Detroit doesn't do any deal that doesn't make them better, and if monroe is going out, SVG regardless of contract, will want leonard.

i can see monroe wanting to stay with the spurs after this season, i don't see SAS having anything they are willing to offer of any interest to the pistons.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,462

Post#19 » by jayjaysee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:54 am

I think Green should be subbed in for Marco..

An I think the Pistons should do this trade if they start the year terribly. I agree with the idea that going 500ish and convincing him to stay, would be worth a lot more than a late first.. But the difference between finishing 10th and 12th-14th in the East..isn't worth a late first.

And for SAS.. If they're willing to pay Monroe 13+ a year or whatever they want, getting another big in December to keep Duncan completely fresh as well as having 6 months of Duncan working with
Monroe..should definitely be worth a late first obviously.

Maybe send Green or Marco to a third team and have Det take on a worse player/ contract from a third team to turn SAS late first into a midfirst?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#20 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:58 am

jayjaysee wrote:I think Green should be subbed in for Marco..

An I think the Pistons should do this trade if they start the year terribly. I agree with the idea that going 500ish and convincing him to stay, would be worth a lot more than a late first.. But the difference between finishing 10th and 12th-14th in the East..isn't worth a late first.

We play in the east, and i think a any reasonableness poster can look at detroit and their record from last year and see that they underachieved. We have the personnel and talent to make the playoffs in a weak east. Also if we start off horribly, it doesn't mean that Moose or smith is the problem, SVG has 1 of the 2 coming off the bench. We'd need to revisit the problem at that point.

Maybe send Green or Marco to a third team and have Det take on a worse player/ contract from a third team to turn SAS late first into a midfirst?

Would not make any sense for detroit. We'd want a player like Barnes, Enis, randle, or T Jones. We have the talent to compete now, we aren't going to take on a nother development when we can compete now.

Return to Trades and Transactions