Stein: MIN talking Corey Brewer to Cavs for "future assets"

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Re: Stein: MIN talking Corey Brewer to Cavs for "future ass 

Post#21 » by RSCD3_ » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:16 pm

We'll he's okay but i wouldn't just throw in players due to price bidding

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#22 » by wolves_89 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 pm

C.lupus wrote:I think I'd want to keep Turiaf as Pekovic's ankle bursitis appears to be flaring up again. Amundson does nothing for Minnesota. Just make it Brewer for TPE and a future 2nd and call it a day.

I don't think the Cavs have any 2nd round picks to trade in the next 3 drafts other than a few 31-55 protected 2nds that are truly worthless. The only pick with any value that Cleveland can trade is the protected Memphis 1st, which is probably a slight overpay for Brewer. The pick that would be a reasonable return for Brewer would be Cleveland's own 1st next year (which is the worse of the Cleveland/Chicago picks), but that can't be traded since Cleveland already traded their 2016 1st.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#23 » by jowglenn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:02 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
C.lupus wrote:I think I'd want to keep Turiaf as Pekovic's ankle bursitis appears to be flaring up again. Amundson does nothing for Minnesota. Just make it Brewer for TPE and a future 2nd and call it a day.

I don't think the Cavs have any 2nd round picks to trade in the next 3 drafts other than a few 31-55 protected 2nds that are truly worthless. The only pick with any value that Cleveland can trade is the protected Memphis 1st, which is probably a slight overpay for Brewer. The pick that would be a reasonable return for Brewer would be Cleveland's own 1st next year (which is the worse of the Cleveland/Chicago picks), but that can't be traded since Cleveland already traded their 2016 1st.

Are we sure that's true? Because they "have" the Memphis 2015 1st - does that count, and thus allow them to trade the 2016 1st (obv then they couldn't trade the MEM 1st, but whatever)
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#24 » by wolves_89 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:11 pm

jowglenn wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:

Are we sure that's true? Because they "have" the Memphis 2015 1st - does that count, and thus allow them to trade the 2016 1st (obv then they couldn't trade the MEM 1st, but whatever)

Since the Cavs traded their 2016 1st, I think that the rules state that Cleveland has to have a guaranteed 1st round pick next year. Unfortunately the Memphis pick is conditional and might not be a 2015 pick, consequently Cleveland's own pick (worse of Cle/Chi) can't be traded unless the Cavs acquire a 1st that is definitely going to be conveyed in 2015.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#25 » by R-DAWG » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 pm

2 championship contenders bidding for a quality NBA player who can help their team make a run in the playoffs usually means that whoever acquires said player will end up overpaying. The Lakers once gave up a 1st rd pick for 3 months of Ramon Sessions and another 1st rd pick for Jordan Hill. It's a combination of supply, demand, and desperation.

Remember, from Cleveland's perspective both Kevin Love and Lebron James can opt out of their deals and be free agents in the offseason. No need to mess around.

With that in mind, here's my proposal:

CLE: Iman Shumpert
NYK: MEM guaranteed lotto pick, 2 2nd rd picks.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,600

Post#26 » by shrink » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:11 am

Zillgitt ‏@JeffZillgitt
For now - and I mean right this minute, perhaps second - Cavs are holding tight on trade for Corey Brewer as they seek a big, I'm told.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#27 » by mg » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:28 pm

R-DAWG wrote:2 championship contenders bidding for a quality NBA player who can help their team make a run in the playoffs usually means that whoever acquires said player will end up overpaying. The Lakers once gave up a 1st rd pick for 3 months of Ramon Sessions and another 1st rd pick for Jordan Hill. It's a combination of supply, demand, and desperation.

Remember, from Cleveland's perspective both Kevin Love and Lebron James can opt out of their deals and be free agents in the offseason. No need to mess around.

With that in mind, here's my proposal:

CLE: Iman Shumpert
NYK: MEM guaranteed lotto pick, 2 2nd rd picks.

I can't see the Cavs, Rockets or any team forfeiting a 1st round pick for Brewer simply because of that player option he has on his contract for next season. Both Sessions and Hill were expiring contracts which gave them more value. Now Shumpert is probably worth a 1st considering he's on his rookie contract and there are options on picking up his QO or extending him next summer. It does appear the Cavs, at least for this second, have a big man higher on their list of needs than acquiring another perimeter player.
shrink
RealGM

Post#28 » by shrink » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm

OK loserX has pointed me to what I think is the right track.

The Twitter post is intentionally written "just this second" to show that a Corey Brewer deal could be very close, but i certainly understand CLE's additional desire for some size underneath. I think Turiaf for Amundson could be included to improve the deal, but it may still not reach the level of the MEM pick. The MEM pick (not Waiters) is the only compensation CLE can really offer, and I agree with a previous poster that Marc Gasol will probably stay in MEM, so CLE should use that pick now to get top value for their win-now team. But if Brewer and Turiaf are not enough, how does MIN sweeten the pot that last little bit.

The short answer is that they probably can't. They don't have the additional defense to add, their other vets really don't fit, and freshmen and sophomores that need to learn are ill-suited for Championship team. However, CLE's asset - that TPE, doesn't really help MIN, and may be incentive for a third team to make this deal fly.

I'm looking for a third team that could use cap space, and has a veteran center they could part with that defends. I could see it in a couple ways:

TPE for unwanted 1-2 yr deal to MIN plus a cheap back-up vet center that defends to CLE

TPE + Waiters + Amundson + Turiaf for a decent starting vet center that defends to CLE

Any thoughts who team #3 could describe?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#29 » by Dupp » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:34 pm

I accept your decision.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#30 » by loserX » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 pm

shrink wrote:I'm looking for a third team that could use cap space, and has a veteran center they could part with that defends. I could see it in a couple ways:

TPE for unwanted 1-2 yr deal to MIN plus a cheap back-up vet center that defends to CLE

This one probably doesn't work. Cleveland's TPE is enough to fit Brewer but not another player. They would need to add salary to take the additional vet centre in a "separate" move, which is likely to unbalance the trade.

shrink wrote:TPE + Waiters + Amundson + Turiaf for a decent starting vet center that defends to CLE

Best I could think of was this:
Cleveland trades Mem pick, Haywood, Amundson for Mahinmi and Brewer (using TPE to take one)
Minnesota trades Brewer and Turiaf for Mem pick, Scola, Haywood, Amundson (have to cut Hummel, I guess)
Indiana trades Mahinmi and Scola for Turiaf

Cavs get a good defensive big and a wing who can play. The problem is that they give up two of their best assets (the Memphis pick and Haywood's weird contract) and may have bigger plans/hopes for them. At least they keep Waiters! (Waiters could go into the trade instead of Haywood and the pick? Minny 2nd back to Cleveland? Not sure if any of these tweaks work.)

Wolves get that Memphis pick by taking on Scola's salary. No real downside here.

Pacers downgrade at backup C but save millions of dollars and dump Scola outright. That said, this is a proud team who loves to fight hard, and may not want to downgrade especially to Cleveland's benefit.

EDIT--also, after thinking about it for 3.8 seconds, Mahinmi probably has more value than Brewer, so the Pacers would probably be fighting to get that Memphis pick themselves :lol: Probably a doomed proposal from the start :D
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#31 » by winter_mute_13 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:29 pm

loserX wrote:Wolves get that Memphis pick by taking on Scola's salary. No real downside here.

Pacers downgrade at backup C but save millions of dollars and dump Scola outright. That said, this is a proud team who loves to fight hard, and may not want to downgrade especially to Cleveland's benefit.

EDIT--also, after thinking about it for 3.8 seconds, Mahinmi probably has more value than Brewer, so the Pacers would probably be fighting to get that Memphis pick themselves :lol: Probably a doomed proposal from the start :D

Scola's deal is mostly unguaranteed, so it's not something we're looking to dump. If we want to save money, we can cut him outright.

Mahinmi for Turiaf probably isn't something we'd be interested in.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#32 » by pacers33granger » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 pm

shrink wrote:I'm looking for a third team that could use cap space, and has a veteran center they could part with that defends. I could see it in a couple ways:

TPE + Waiters + Amundson + Turiaf for a decent starting vet center that defends to CLE

I think you're back to the original issue Cleveland has had with that TPE. They've been trying to acquire a center with the TPE since they got it and so few fit in to it. You've basically got:

Mahinmi - Pacers have no need to dump him, he's cheap for this year and next and fits in well for us as a backup center. Doesn't have enough value to get the Memphis pick or Waiters.

Koufos - Grizzlies have no one else that can play center outside of him and Gasol. He doesn't play that much most nights, but they'll likely need him as a spot starter at some point to rest Gasol or if he misses games.

Dalembert - could be an option since it saves the Knicks a good chunk of money and they're really bad right now. They don't have much else at center though. Also, like Mahinmi, he's not worth enough for Waiters or pick and is kind of needed by New York.

That's all I can really see out there right now that would fit the criteria, other than a few guys on vet min deals like Turiaf.
shrink
RealGM

Post#33 » by shrink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:31 am

Good posts guys. It seems like unless the Cavs are willing to give up Waiters, which I think they would prefer not to do, they really can't address both needs. They don't have the salaries to match to address both.

I would have thought there would be some vet centers out there on the vet min that could help them. If they are trying to fill both holes, Turiaf at $1.5 mil for Amundson may be one of their few options.

hmmm... Maybe the "everyone is tradable" line is an indication that they will listen to Waiters offers? Would the Cavs rate him as an asset worth more than the MEM 1st?

Return to Trades and Transactions