ORL and SAC (Dec. 15) - Sacramento Adds a Shooter

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

ORL and SAC (Dec. 15) - Sacramento Adds a Shooter 

Post#1 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:55 am

ORL in: Williams; 2nd round pick
SAC in: Frye

Why for SAC:

Sacramento gets the shooter at the wing that it desperately needs. Cousins/Thompson; Cousins/Frye; Thompson/Landry are all lineups that can work.

Why not for SAC:

Takes Sacramento out of free agency for the next two off-seasons barring a large increase in the cap. Frye will be 35 by the end of the deal.

Why for ORL:

Clears up space for the following year. Orlando gets to dump Frye who otherwise would just waste the remainder of his useful years on a young team that is a few years away from anything and adds a 2nd round pick in the process. Get to see if Williams is worth keeping. Tank.

Why not for ORL:

Do they really need more cap space? Frye is a nice piece regardless and this might not be enough to dump him. I suppose it ultimately depends on whether Orlando has buyer's remorse and/or how much they would value the second round pick and cap space.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: ORL and SAC (Dec. 15) - Sacramento Adds a Shooter 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 am

Harkless isn't really a throw in. I'd change that, and they seem to like Frye (at least I think but could be wrong).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#3 » by gom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 am

I'm a Heat fan but sometimes live in Central Florida. From what I see & hear the mindset in Orlando is changing. They have a playoff team now in the East and aren't looking to tank this year. Channing Frye is an important part of the team.

Also, at this moment - right now - your second round pick (#51) is headed for Miami. It's not protected from 50-55. So, you can't trade this year's 2nd round and Orlando won't likely need extra 2nd round picks in 2016.

http://www.tankathon.com/full_draft
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#4 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:27 am

bondom34 wrote:Harkless isn't really a throw in. I'd change that, and they seem to like Frye (at least I think but could be wrong).

Thanks for that info. I never knew he was seen as anything. Took that part out because its counter-productive to be included at this point.

gom wrote:I'm a Heat fan but sometimes live in Central Florida. From what I see & hear the mindset in Orlando is changing. They have a playoff team now in the East and aren't looking to tank this year. Channing Frye is an important part of the team.

Also, at this moment - right now - your second round pick (#51) is headed for Miami. It's not protected from 50-55. So, you can't trade this year's 2nd round and Orlando won't likely need extra 2nd round picks in 2016.

http://www.tankathon.com/full_draft

Didn't know that about our pick. If I'm reading that we could still offer a 2016 pick though? We could also just straight buy one of their players and save them money. I'm not really sure how price conscious their owner is. It's crazy to me they consider themselves a playoff team. What's the end goal? Is a first round sweep by the Bulls worth losing a lotto pick?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:38 pm

if there were someone that Orlando could target with Frye gone i would consider, but that missing "shot blocking, jump shooting" PF, while not quite a unicorn, is still rare and coveted by most teams
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Jason Thompson, Ben McLemore for Frye, Gordon?

SAC has no picks to trade for years. Check out RealGM draft pick debts.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#7 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:49 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Jason Thompson, Ben McLemore for Frye, Gordon?

I hope for your sake you mean Ben Gordon...

McLemore is a nice prospect and in the right situation I do think he could excel but Frye is worth a lot more to us than any other team.

He is a pivotal piece for Orlando's future success, he is the reason why Orlando came back from 24pts the other night. What he provides is a rarity in this league and in time his contract is going to look like an absolute steal.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#8 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

McLemore is a nice prospect and in the right situation I do think he could excel but Frye is worth a lot more to us than any other team.

He is a pivotal piece for Orlando's future success, he is the reason why Orlando came back from 24pts the other night. What he provides is a rarity in this league and in time his contract is going to look like an absolute steal.

Lol? For my sake? Yes I meant BG.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Doubt Orlando is ready to dump Frye already. If he was playing poorly then maybe they'd take a salary dump deal, but that's not the case.

I do like the target for the Kings side tho.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#10 » by tiderulz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:

ehh, thats too much credit on Frye's part. and i think quite a few Magic fans wouldnt agree that he is a pivotal piece of our future success. maybe im wrong, wouldnt be the first time, but if he isnt hitting his 3 pt shots, he isnt bringing much of anything else
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#11 » by gom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:08 pm

I watched the game. I thought Frye was very good, but I didn't really understand how good he is for the Magic until I read this piece yesterday - written, incidentally, by a Charlotte reporter.

http://lamarmatic.wordpress.com/2014/11 ... ando-loss/

Good luck to all the Magic fans tonight cheering for their team against the Cavaliers! It's a great opportunity to wake the league up and show them a team that is going to shine. I hope Tobias is back.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#12 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:06 pm

gom wrote:I watched the game. I thought Frye was very good, but I didn't really understand how good he is for the Magic until I read this piece yesterday - written, incidentally, by a Charlotte reporter.

Good luck to all the Magic fans tonight cheering for their team against the Cavaliers! It's a great opportunity to wake the league up and show them a team that is going to shine. I hope Tobias is back.

Thank you non-Magic fan for proving my point and presenting video facts. :clap:
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#13 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm

So it sounds like the consensus is we'd need to include one of our SGs in any trade. Frye is definitely not worth McLemore (people will realize this in the coming months and then laugh about this in coming years) but the idea of throwing in Stauskas could work if we could get a serviceable backup SG in return. I'm not too big on Gordon or Green. How does ORL value Fournier? He's going to be stuck behind Oladipo anyway, would you guys prefer a pure shooter instead?
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#14 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm

gom wrote:I watched the game. I thought Frye was very good, but I didn't really understand how good he is for the Magic until I read this piece yesterday - written, incidentally, by a Charlotte reporter.

This is exactly why I want him. 8-)
jjohns828
Bench Warmer
And1: 516

Post#15 » by jjohns828 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:44 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:So it sounds like the consensus is we'd need to include one of our SGs in any trade. Frye is definitely not worth McLemore (people will realize this in the coming months and then laugh about this in coming years) but the idea of throwing in Stauskas could work if we could get a serviceable backup SG in return. I'm not too big on Gordon or Green. How does ORL value Fournier? He's going to be stuck behind Oladipo anyway, would you guys prefer a pure shooter instead?

I can't speak for other Orlando fans but I have no interest in moving Fournier. He played great when Oladipo was out and once we move to the probable future starting backcourt of Payton/Oladipo he'll be a great first guard off the bench and offensive leader of the 2nd unit. I also don't know why we'd be interested in a SG since we seem to have our starter and primary backup set there.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 pm

jjohns828 wrote:
bleeds_purple wrote:So it sounds like the consensus is we'd need to include one of our SGs in any trade. Frye is definitely not worth McLemore (people will realize this in the coming months and then laugh about this in coming years) but the idea of throwing in Stauskas could work if we could get a serviceable backup SG in return. I'm not too big on Gordon or Green. How does ORL value Fournier? He's going to be stuck behind Oladipo anyway, would you guys prefer a pure shooter instead?

I can't speak for other Orlando fans but I have no interest in moving Fournier. He played great when Oladipo was out and once we move to the probable future starting backcourt of Payton/Oladipo he'll be a great first guard off the bench and offensive leader of the 2nd unit. I also don't know why we'd be interested in a SG since we seem to have our starter and primary backup set there.

yeah, moving Fournier is definitely a no-go. Definitely looking like another great trade by Hennigan.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM

Post#17 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:05 pm

jjohns828 wrote:

PLEASE speak for me. Fournier is not untouchable but he is light years away in regards to development and being able to provide now compared to McLemore/Statuskas in no way I am saying those two cant be better or even elite in the league at one point but it will be a downgrade in every sense for the Magic

I could see something like this working..

Chicago Out
-Gibson
-Snell

Chicago In
-Jason Thompson
-Ben McLemore
-Maurice Harkless
-Maybe future Magic pick

Orlando In
-Gibson
-Snell

Orlando Out
-Harkless
-Frye
-Gordon

Kings In
-Frye
-Ben Gordon

Kings Out
-Thompson
-McLemore

Everyone kinda fills a need
Orlando - Post defense
Sac - Floor spacing, Shooting, serviceable back up SG
Chi - Shooting and an upgrade to Snell and depth
bleeds_purple
Analyst

Post#18 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Here's my turn to say "I can't speak for other [Kings] fans" but I'm not willing to trade an emerging two-way shooting guard who looks to start and play 40 minutes a game for us for a long time for bench players on the wrong side of 30. I like Frye don't get me wrong but if we have to deal a starter for him its a move not worth making.

Other fans may not realize it yet but McLemore is our best shooter (granted that's not saying much) and really our only option at shooting guard right now. There's no way we trade a guy who's stock looks to be on the rise big time.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#19 » by Cruel_Ruin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:33 pm

I think people need to stop including Thompson and McLemore in deals like this. JT is worth more to the Kings than to anyone else because his defense has been outstanding. I wouldn't want to swap him out for Frye, who is probably the softest big in the NBA, just to get some more shooting.

The leftover McLemore/Gordon swap is just insulting. McLemore is a 21 year old athletic freak lottery pick who is shooting and defending excellently. I wouldn't trade him for Aaron Gordon, let alone Ben Gordon.
WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,430

Post#20 » by WillyJakkz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Although we brought Frye in as the stretch 4 we "need" next to Vucevic, and he is Tobias Harris' cousin, we would move him.

The only thing is we aren't tanking, that's a misconception if that's the thought behind this.

As is though we already have Harris and Gordon so no need for exp Derrick Williams which means we'd basically dump Frye for a 2nd and that's not gonna happen right now as I think we'd wait for other better offers or package him with Tobes (worse case) if we were to move him.

As for the other trade ideas etc, we aren't moving Fournier as his 2 man game with Vucevic is impeccable right about now.

Return to Trades and Transactions