BRK-IND AK47 to Indiana

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

BRK-IND AK47 to Indiana 

Post#1 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:03 am

No idea what AK has left, but I've always been a fan. Could either of these deals work?

1) Copeland for Kirilenko straight up

Copeland can shoot but doesn't do anything else. Basically you play him and hope he gets hot. He does make about ~200k less than AK, is that enough to swing a deal? (The sad part is that Copeland, as bad as he is, is still the Pacers' leading scorer.)

2) Scola (partially guaranteed) for Kirilenko + Karasev

Basically the same deal that is rumored with Philly. Scola is about $1.9m guaranteed, so it's not as good as dumping the contracts outright, but presumably we won't ask for the king's ransom in 2nd rounders that Hinkie is probably seeking :D

No idea either what Karasev brings, but our wing rotation is a mess right now so he'll get a chance for minutes at least.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Re: BRK-IND AK47 to Indiana 

Post#2 » by jowglenn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:42 am

The Scola deal is interesting, but the Copeland one sounds pointless; Cope is our leading scorer, as you said.

Scola deal would be fantastic.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#3 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't really like the Scola deal for BRK. Scola is guaranteed for 1.9, and AK's deal is only for 3.3 or so. Doesn't seem worth doing unless they just keep Scola.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:53 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I don't really like the Scola deal for BRK. Scola is guaranteed for 1.9, and AK's deal is only for 3.3 or so. Doesn't seem worth doing unless they just keep Scola.

I thought of it as AK (3.3) + Karasev (1.5) = 4.8 for Scola's 1.9, which seems a bit better. But of course Nets would prefer dealing to Philly, since they could get zero salary in return. All depends on the Sixers' asking price.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:03 pm

I'd hate it if it was for Copeland. Always loved AK and think he has something left, but he wouldn't do anything for us and we'd somehow be even worse on offense. I like what Copeland has done this year and think he's improved a ton since coming to the Pacers. I really want to resign him now that Vogel will (hopefully) use him once we're healthy.

As anyone should know, I'm all for a deal that sends Scola elsewhere. If we can get a young guy like Karasev as well that'd just be gravy. Don't think it's enough for Brooklyn though.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by winter_mute_13 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:35 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I'd hate it if it was for Copeland. Always loved AK and think he has something left, but he wouldn't do anything for us and we'd somehow be even worse on offense. I like what Copeland has done this year and think he's improved a ton since coming to the Pacers. I really want to resign him now that Vogel will (hopefully) use him once we're healthy.

That's interesting. Cope tries hard, and I love his grit, but I don't think he's really improved. The only difference between good Cope and bad Cope to me is that sometimes his shot falls and sometimes it doesn't. Asking him to do more than just shooting the ball usually ends in disaster. And his defensive ability is subpar as well. I did like him better at first, but I think his warts are really showing.

I would be very surprised if we try to re-sign him, but I've been wrong before.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#7 » by pacers33granger » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:14 pm

winter_mute_13 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:I'd hate it if it was for Copeland. Always loved AK and think he has something left, but he wouldn't do anything for us and we'd somehow be even worse on offense. I like what Copeland has done this year and think he's improved a ton since coming to the Pacers. I really want to resign him now that Vogel will (hopefully) use him once we're healthy.

That's interesting. Cope tries hard, and I love his grit, but I don't think he's really improved. The only difference between good Cope and bad Cope to me is that sometimes his shot falls and sometimes it doesn't. Asking him to do more than just shooting the ball usually ends in disaster. And his defensive ability is subpar as well. I did like him better at first, but I think his warts are really showing.

I would be very surprised if we try to re-sign him, but I've been wrong before.

While he's never going to be even good at it, he has improved his ball handling. The fact that he's actually gotten to the rim a few times this season and beat a defender is amazing to me. His defense will always suck too, but I think Vogel and the staff has helped him understand how to defend better with his limitations. And his passing has been actually very good at times. He's made some risky ones, but he's still probably been one of our better passers at times (not saying much though).

The main reasons I really want to resign him (depending on cost of course) is because he's an excellent shooter (which we always seem to need), he tries at all times, and he seems like a great teammate. Though I'll be pissed if we do resign him and he rots on the bench again. I also think we'll need another wing in free agency next year (Stuckey is a free agent and I expect us to draft either a big of a PG) and doubt we'll have enough space to sign someone better plus Copeland knows the system.

I think we could build a decent bench next season and Copeland could be a good part of that. One of our issues with the bench in the past was having some guys who were more passive than aggressive. Next season we could have a bench that actually hustles with Copeland, Allen, Mahinmi, and whoever else we pick up.

By no means do I want him to do more than shoot really (especially if we hope to contend again next year) though.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#8 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Nets likely to wait until December 15th to make any moves to see what FAs are out there and movable.
Heard yesterday from a source this isn't about a straight salary dump and to think beyond Philly, then the Utah rumor comes out today.

Other thing that could happen.. there is an injury and AK is needed in the rotation and we can get a better idea of who he is as a player right now. If he's done, then maybe it is a salary dump type deal. If he's not either he starts getting minutes or gets some value.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:54 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I don't really like the Scola deal for BRK. Scola is guaranteed for 1.9, and AK's deal is only for 3.3 or so. Doesn't seem worth doing unless they just keep Scola.

Really? $1.4m cut essentially immediately. Add in repeater tax at a rate of 4.25, and it's almost $6m in tax savings. So around $7.4m in total cash savings. Clears a roster spot. Doesn't require giving up any young guys or 2nds, too. About next best thing to completely clearing the salary, but not sure many teams would do that, unless being paid well to do so.

Return to Trades and Transactions