Hawks/Raptors Blockbuster Trade

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Hawks/Raptors Blockbuster Trade 

Post#1 » by jalenrose#5 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Toronto Trades

Amir Johnson
Landry Fields
Terrence Ross
2015 First Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
2016 First Round Pick (If Needed)

Atlanta Trades

Paul Millsap (Must sign extension)
Kyle Korver

Why for Atlanta?
Millsap's a free agent and the odds he signs with them are 50/50. The Hawks are proactive and acquire a first round pick, cap space, and a legitamite SG/SF with massive upside. Ross provides more defense than Korver and is quite a bit younger.

Why for Toronto?
They go for it this season. They finally acquire that low post option in the post. He rebounds like a man and can spread the defense out. A rich man's Patrick Patterson. Korver provides Toronto with that dependable wing 3 that keeps defenses honest witha deadly shot. His presence with make Lowry and DeRozan look that much better. With James Johnson off the bench, Korver's defensive shortcomings could be masked nicely.

Atlanta

Teague/Schroeder/Mack
Ross/Sefolosha
Carroll/Scott/Fields
Johnson/Brand
Horford/Antic

Toronto

Lowry/Vasquez
DeRozan/Williams
Korver/James Johnson/Caboclo
Millsap/Patterson/Hansbrough
Valanciunas/Hayes/Bebe
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Re: Hawks/Raptors Blockbuster Trade 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Value is fair. I like it for both teams, but I thought TOR fans were very against moving Amir? And they still need a backup C after this.

ATL looks pretty light on paper, but the picks are nice, but both need to be in.
Shwaguy
Junior
And1: 432

Post#3 » by Shwaguy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:55 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Value is fair. I like it for both teams, but I thought TOR fans were very against moving Amir? And they still need a backup C after this.

ATL looks pretty light on paper, but the picks are nice, but both need to be in.

Replace Amir with 2pat, can't trade him, I'd only be willing to give up the knicks pick if Horford were the one coming the other way

but he's more valuable than Millsap so gotta change things around then

Lowry
DD
Korver
Millsap
JV

Bench:
GV
Lou
JJ
Amir

Title Contender or no?
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#4 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:04 am

First deal is great value for Toronto with Millsap getting that extension and Korvers deadeye shooting off the bench. I would try to get Bismarck for Bebe or use Hayes plus some 2nds

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#5 » by theatlfan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:07 am

*Sigh* another ATL deal filled with so many misconceptions.

1st, we're not rebuilding. Our HC is the guy in charge of player personnel decisions. It's pretty rare when someone is promoted from HC to player personnel guy that he'd take steps to gut the team of their AS.

2nd, I'd assume that we'd be better than 50/50 to resign Millsap. When leaving UTH, I saw several posts saying they preferred Jefferson, called Millsap a cry baby, and the FO supposedly informed him that he was going to be renounced (or, at best, they couldn't take back salary in an SNT due to the GSW trade). Not only do we jump to sign him almost immediately thereafter, but we also promoted him for the AS game and got him in there. Now, I'm sure there are some prima donnas that wouldn't care and would still jump if an extra dollar was on the table, but I just feel like Millsap will give a team that gave him that much to him a lot more consideration than most are thinking. As long as we have a competitive offer on the table, I think we'd be the overwhelming favorite to keep him.

3rd, not sure why TOR fans (and others who seem to like to speak for us) keep thinking that we'd value Ross to continuously put him in a deal with us. The fact is that our organization simply isn't going to value Ross as much as others will. Simply put, Ross is a +0.25" wingspan ratio guy; for some idea Coach Bud has drafted only one guy < +6". Mike Muscala who is a +2.75" guy but also showed out to be a knockdown shooter with a 9' standing reach. Not sure what you are expecting with Ross, but I can say that the value that TOR fans would be thinking they would be giving isn't close to what the ATL FO would be thinking they are getting. Ross would be a really bad fit in a deal with us.

The picks sound nice, but they're fool's gold for us. I don't really care about a pick in the late 20's: more times than not the guaranteed salary isn't worth the player and you're stuck with either "admitting a mistake" and declining the TO or paying too much for someone in the deep rotation. The best you can do with it is shop it and hope that you can find someone a few spots up from one of your picks who isn't enamoured with the board. Assuming the '16 pick is the lesser of the DEN/NYK pick then that's a nice chip but not necessarily one that I jump at either. Considering the FO might be replaced in a year, no one wants to build so that the next regime has some pieces that you gave them.

So, the entire deal boils down to a wing swap (which we'd prefer *not* to do) and then Millsap for a downgrade replacement and a pick that our current regime won't even be around to exercise... and this is the move that we expect to keep the GM job. Doesn't sound nearly as appealing from our end now does it?
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#6 » by Golabki » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Value is fair. I like it for both teams, but I thought TOR fans were very against moving Amir? And they still need a backup C after this.

Amir being in the deal makes no sense since (A) he's a "win now" piece that Atlanta doesn't need if they are rebuilding, and (B) it creates a giant hole at backup center for Toronto

Return to Trades and Transactions