Nets/Kings (Warning: includes multiple D-Wills)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Nets/Kings (Warning: includes multiple D-Wills) 

Post#1 » by loserX » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Deron is one of those guys with talent, but also a heart-stopping contract. As such, I expect responses to be quite polarized :D

Nets trade/Kings receive
Deron Williams
Mirza Teletovic
Brandon Davies or Cory Jefferson (Kings' choice)

The Nets decide to start moving on. They save $6.6M or so in salary this year, plus a corresponding fortune in luxury tax, and many millions in the years to come. (Landry's deal is as long as Deron's but obviously much smaller.) Sessions can log a few minutes at PG and the team gets some PFs to play with but ultimately it's about going forward...and a lot of cash.

Kings trade/Nets receive
Carl Landry
Derrick Williams
Ramon Sessions
Reggie Evans

The Kings get what Ranadive seems to crave: some credibility. Even overpaid, Deron still has plenty of ability and flair, which should fit well with ownership's vision. Deron should be a fine fit with Boogie and Rudy; Collison has played well but this will allow him to feast on opponent benches, and even play in 2-PG lineups with Deron when the team's SGs struggle. They also bring back Teletovic, providing some useful spacing at the PF spot for Cousins. (Davies or Jefferson are just depth PFs to keep rosters manageable and fill some minutes since the Kings are sending several PFs out.) The team gets better and gives up nothing of on-the-floor value.

This trade does put the Kings in the tax (but still works because Deron fits in the 125% part, and Teletovic and Davies/Jefferson can be absorbed by Sacramento's existing TPEs); that can be fixed if necessary but makes the deal even more complicated because of roster spot issues. And I doubt the tax is enough in and of itself to scare off Ranadive, though Kings fans will know that better than I.

Thoughts? Are the Nets at the point where they'd give up Deron for no future assets if it saves cash? Are Ranadive's wallet and...er, cojones this big?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Re: Nets/Kings (Warning: includes multiple D-Wills) 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:42 pm

I think the Nets should do it, just to start cleaning things up. Plus, this would make them worse and the Celtics' picks better so.... :D

I think this is the type of thing the Kings should do. Ranadive is gonna make some big splash at some point anyway. I think Williams can still be a solid player. He's overpaid for sure, but what is done is done. He's still a good player. And the Kings need a lead dog at PG. Someone who can keep the rest of the group in check. I think Williams can do that.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Yep, I like it too. Saves the Nets a ton and lets them reset a bit, and Teletovic is a good pickup along with D Will for the Kings, I think both would be good fits there.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Draz3n
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#4 » by Draz3n » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:58 pm

I think i'd rather keep Deron for that package, especially if we're giving up Mirza.

How about Williams, and Jefferson for Thompson, Williams, Collison, and the right to swap picks this year?

Nets save money, but they aren't COMPLETLEY being gutted like the original trade. They still want to make the playoffs...
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#5 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Draz3n wrote:I think i'd rather keep Deron for that package, especially if we're giving up Mirza.

How about Williams, and Jefferson for Thompson, Williams, Collison, and the right to swap picks this year?

Nets save money, but they aren't COMPLETLEY being gutted like the original trade. They still want to make the playoffs...

I think the Kings would be hard pressed to do the original deal but it's at least plausible3. Your variation is a hang up the phone quick. I'm not big on Deron Williams as collison seems to be qquite effective at PG. I'd like to see the kings place their resources towards a big upgrade at the 4.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#6 » by KF10 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Draz3n wrote:I think i'd rather keep Deron for that package, especially if we're giving up Mirza.

No.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#7 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Only way I could see the Kings doing something like this is if they go all in and get Karl or Jackson to coach the team. Not with Corbin...
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#8 » by loserX » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:Only way I could see the Kings doing something like this is if they go all in and get Karl or Jackson to coach the team. Not with Corbin...

As a Jazz fan I can assure you Corbin should not be coaching no matter what the makeup of the team is!

But yes, obviously the Kings need to sort out their coaching before making any huge deals like this. But assuming that happens, do you think this is plausible?
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Yep. I like the OP for both.
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#10 » by Ricepilar » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 pm

I guess I don't see the point for Brooklyn. They'll be absolutely terrible just in time to cough up all their draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,467

Post#11 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:17 pm

loserX wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Only way I could see the Kings doing something like this is if they go all in and get Karl or Jackson to coach the team. Not with Corbin...

As a Jazz fan I can assure you Corbin should not be coaching no matter what the makeup of the team is!

But yes, obviously the Kings need to sort out their coaching before making any huge deals like this. But assuming that happens, do you think this is plausible?

It's certainly possible, but I just don't see it happening because Collison has actually played so well for us. When he's in control of the offense, things click, but when Cousins was out, he tried to be our #2 scorer and he's just not that kind of player. I think they're gonna give the team another 4-5 games with Cousins in the lineup before they go any direction.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#12 » by longfellow44 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:24 pm

KF10 wrote:

No.

Agreed that version is awful for the kings
donaldduck
Junior
And1: 47

Post#13 » by donaldduck » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 pm

loserX wrote:Deron is one of those guys with talent, but also a heart-stopping contract. As such, I expect responses to be quite polarized :D

Nets trade/Kings receive
Deron Williams
Mirza Teletovic
Brandon Davies or Cory Jefferson (Kings' choice)

The Nets decide to start moving on. They save $6.6M or so in salary this year, plus a corresponding fortune in luxury tax, and many millions in the years to come. (Landry's deal is as long as Deron's but obviously much smaller.) Sessions can log a few minutes at PG and the team gets some PFs to play with but ultimately it's about going forward...and a lot of cash.

Kings trade/Nets receive
Carl Landry
Derrick Williams
Ramon Sessions
Reggie Evans

The Kings get what Ranadive seems to crave: some credibility. Even overpaid, Deron still has plenty of ability and flair, which should fit well with ownership's vision. Deron should be a fine fit with Boogie and Rudy; Collison has played well but this will allow him to feast on opponent benches, and even play in 2-PG lineups with Deron when the team's SGs struggle. They also bring back Teletovic, providing some useful spacing at the PF spot for Cousins. (Davies or Jefferson are just depth PFs to keep rosters manageable and fill some minutes since the Kings are sending several PFs out.) The team gets better and gives up nothing of on-the-floor value.

This trade does put the Kings in the tax (but still works because Deron fits in the 125% part, and Teletovic and Davies/Jefferson can be absorbed by Sacramento's existing TPEs); that can be fixed if necessary but makes the deal even more complicated because of roster spot issues. And I doubt the tax is enough in and of itself to scare off Ranadive, though Kings fans will know that better than I.

Thoughts? Are the Nets at the point where they'd give up Deron for no future assets if it saves cash? Are Ranadive's wallet and...er, cojones this big?

Woj just reported that the trade is Deron Williams to Kings for Derrick Williams, Darren Collison and Jason Thompson.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--k ... 55172.html
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,687

Post#14 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 pm

Woj is reporting that these 2 teams are discussing a Deron deal so there's that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--k ... 55172.html

Collison, Derrick Williams, and Thompson appear to be the pieces. Kings want Plumlee too which Brooklyn is balking at.

edit: And Im slow obviously
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#15 » by bleeds_purple » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:20 am

Your version I can get behind. Teletovic would be a great piece and we don't have to give up Collison and Thompson who have been two good rotation players for us. The WOJ version...god no please wake me up from this horrible nightmare.

Return to Trades and Transactions