Hawks add a piece w/ Minny

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Hawks add a piece w/ Minny 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:57 pm

Simple deal:

Brand
Payne

for

Martin

Hawks add another shooter to their mix and get a terrific 6th man.

Wolves save money and get a young big man prospect.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Re: Hawks add a piece w/ Minny 

Post#2 » by theatlfan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Don't really see us chasing Martin. Outside of Korver (who is underrated defensively), our wings are primarily known for their defensive abilities and this is not by accident. In fact, we have already established that we are going to cut ties with the young SG who is known for his offense and shooting as well as his lack of defense. It'd be one thing if we felt that Martin could at least approximate what Thabo does on D so that the upgrade on O plays up, but he doesn't really come close. Hence, I really don't see the role he'd play here... well, unless an injury to Korver happens (*knocks on wood*).
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#3 » by Golabki » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Replacing SG minutes that have been going to Mack and Bazemore with Martin would obviously be good... but that's really just 15 MPG (closer to 10 MPG in the playoffs). For Martin to be worth the money you need to play him next to Korver as a 2/3 combination for at least 10 MPG. Can you defense survive those stretches?

Also can Atl offer to pay Martin in the following years? They need to pay Carrol and Millsap this year and Horford next year.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,523

Post#4 » by shrink » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:12 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:Simple deal:

Brand
Payne

for

Martin

Hawks add another shooter to their mix and get a terrific 6th man.

Wolves save money and get a young big man prospect.

Why not? MIN can turn Martin into a big TPE, and with Hummell's injury, these guys might even make it on the floor.

Martin would work tremendously in ATL's offensive scheme, and give ATL another look.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,571

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Ya IMO Bazemore>Kmart for that role. They have plenty of scoring they need a hustler/defender/spark plug. Also Kmart as I try to tell everyone is a net negative. Hes a terrible defender (that cannot be understated), he never is healthy, and he just doesn't offer anything aside from scoring. At this point hes a 7th or 8th man that comes in and hopefully hits a few threes and makes up for being a defensive liability.

I couldn't see Atlanta going after him especially for the cost of Payne who probably figures to play a role in the long term plans.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#6 » by theatlfan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Golabki wrote:Replacing SG minutes that have been going to Mack and Bazemore with Martin would obviously be good... but that's really just 15 MPG (closer to 10 MPG in the playoffs). For Martin to be worth the money you need to play him next to Korver as a 2/3 combination for at least 10 MPG. Can you defense survive those stretches?

Also can Atl offer to pay Martin in the following years? They need to pay Carrol and Millsap this year and Horford next year.

FYI, Bazemore has really turned it up for us over the last few weeks. He becoming our incredibly athletic bench guy who is a pest on defense and always has an impressive dunk in the course of the game. I think he is the only guy on the team who has actually converted the back end of an alley oop. The fact that he actually has some skills we use is icing on the cake. He's hitting his 3's and he's technically the #3 PG while Mack is out and looked competent as the primary backup when we sat Schröder for a game (rest). Meanwhile, Mack is continuing to move down to the end of the bench as he recovers from his injury.

As for the Korver / K-Mart combo, I don't see it. The bigger problem is that I don't see us handing more defensive responsibilities over to Korver who is an obvious stud shooting the ball. I mean, you don't trade for another ball handler so Lebron James can take more defensive responsibilities and the same is true with Korver.

Return to Trades and Transactions