MIL - POR: Knight, Henson 4 Leonard, McCollum

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Monky15
Starter
And1: 692

MIL - POR: Knight, Henson 4 Leonard, McCollum 

Post#1 » by Monky15 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Milwaukee trades Knight, Henson and their 2nd to Portland for Leonard, McCollum and their top 16 protected 1st.

The Bucks avoid trying to figure out how much Knight is worth, add a stretch big who has shown flashes, a young combo guard with 2yrs left on their rookie deal and move up with their second pick by about 20 spots.

The Blazers add a win now piece in Knight who will add some really nice depth to their back court. Henson give them length and a shot altering prospect. The price for the win now piece is by moving back about 20 spots in the draft.
beb0p
Junior
And1: 51

Re: MIL - POR: Knight, Henson 4 Leonard, McCollum 

Post#2 » by beb0p » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54 pm

A lot of work on the Blazers' part just to add two backups that are nice to have. If I'm the Blazers I'd just keep the young players and the pick.
quick23
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#3 » by quick23 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Seems pretty light for Milwaukee.

Sure, they don't pay Knight, But a top 16 protected pick really doesn't do much to replace Knight.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#4 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

Not the biggest Knight fan, but we need more.

How about this

Blazers get: Knight/Ilyasova
Bucks get: Robinson/McCollum/Leonard
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#5 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:15 pm

How much do we think Knight is getting? Seems like he would be good value on a Jeff Teague type contract, but if Bucks are expecting an offer north of 10 million (seems to be the assumption of this trade) then he would be a half-year rental for the Blazers as well. Since I don't see him as a "win now" player (the type to push a team into contender status), I am going to decline the trade.

I will say, on the face of it, this trade is pretty close value IMO. However, the assumption of Knight getting a big contract kills any interest the Blazers might have and makes it essentially McCollum/Leonard/1st for Henson/2ed, which is obviously bad value.

If the Bucks aren't going to keep Knight (and my money would be on them keeping him), I would expect to see him traded to a team like New York that will pay to keep him long-term.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#6 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Not the biggest Knight fan, but we need more.

How about this

6 months from now... trade boils down to McCollum/Leonard for Ilyasova. Terrible trade unless there is a new banner hanging on the wall, and my guess is that this trade will not have that effect.'
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#7 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:33 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

How about this

6 months from now... trade boils down to McCollum/Leonard for Ilyasova. Terrible trade unless there is a new banner hanging on the wall, and my guess is that this trade will not have that effect.'

You cant look at it 6th months from now - Need to ask yoursel if this puts you in contention.
Its a gamble that contending teams need to make.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#8 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:54 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

How about this

You cant look at it 6th months from now - Need to ask yoursel if this puts you in contention.
Its a gamble that contending teams need to make.

He did ask himself if "this puts you in contention". Clearly he doesn't think so.... and honestly I agree.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#9 » by mattg » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:00 pm

I pass easily as a bucks fan who doesn't like knight.
Monky15
Starter

Post#10 » by Monky15 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:13 pm

I could see Knight getting a nice pay day IF the Bucks make a little noise in the playoffs and he is the one doing the heavy lifting. That said look at Evan Turner last year, not exactly the same but their are similarities. Was putting up nice numbers on a so so team, traded to a contender for a bench role which exposed his limited capabilities without dominating the ball leading to a more appropriate salary. So if Knight were traded to the Blazers and they had a decent run and he was solid in his role off the bench then he could look to get that 6-8M type salary which leave Portland in the hunt to retain his services. Its almost like these fringe starters on rookie deals need to be traded in their 4th year to bring their value back to earth.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Monky15 wrote:I could see Knight getting a nice pay day IF the Bucks make a little noise in the playoffs and he is the one doing the heavy lifting. That said look at Evan Turner last year, not exactly the same but their are similarities. Was putting up nice numbers on a so so team, traded to a contender for a bench role which exposed his limited capabilities without dominating the ball leading to a more appropriate salary. So if Knight were traded to the Blazers and they had a decent run and he was solid in his role off the bench then he could look to get that 6-8M type salary which leave Portland in the hunt to retain his services. Its almost like these fringe starters on rookie deals need to be traded in their 4th year to bring their value back to earth.

I'm not a Brandon Knight fan but he's miles better than Evan Turner. He's going to get paid substantially more than $6 million per this summer.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Monky15
Starter

Post#12 » by Monky15 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:21 pm

I see Leonard as being fairly close in value, just 2 different types of prospect, Henson is a yr older but has shown a little more than Leonard, both are poor defenders but Henson has legit shot blocking ability. IMHO Leonard is a better fit for the Bucks because he can slide between the 4/5 while spacing the floor, could even play next to Sanders if he happens to get his **** together. Then its McCollum and a 20 spot pick swap for Knight.
Monky15
Starter

Post#13 » by Monky15 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
I'm not a Brandon Knight fan but he's miles better than Evan Turner. He's going to get paid substantially more than $6 million per this summer.

Even if he was shipped to Portland and couldn't beat out Blake, Wright, Barton for minutes?
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#14 » by Village Idiot » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Steve Blake is more than adequate as a back-up PG to Lillard so it just doesn't make sense for Portland to spend assets on him. Charlotte could use Knight though with Walker out. I do like Henson though.

How about this alteration?

Charlotte trades Stephenson for Knight and Thomas Robinson

Milwaukee trades Knight and Henson for McCollum, Leonard and the top 16 protected 1st

Portland trades McCollum, Leonard, Robinson and the top 16 protected 1st for Stephenson and gets arguably the best bench in the NBA to go along with one of the best starting line-ups.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Monky15 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Even if he was shipped to Portland and couldn't beat out Blake, Wright, Barton for minutes?

First, I think he'd beat all those guys out for minutes unless Portland was trying to suppress his value (which contenders don't do). But even if he didn't, you are going to have GMs who look at his body off work over the last three seasons and make their decision based on the entire thing.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Monky15
Starter

Post#16 » by Monky15 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Monky15 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

First, I think he'd beat all those guys out for minutes unless Portland was trying to suppress his value (which contenders don't do). But even if he didn't, you are going to have GMs who look at his body off work over the last three seasons and make their decision based on the entire thing.

This is a guy who hasn't really had anyone to challenge him for a starter job his whole career and was a throw in with the Jennings trade, this is his first season putting up decent numbers on a semi decent team and I reckon just about any half decent scoring PG could be doing what Knight is doing this year.

I really don't see him getting more than 8M unless he makes a splash in the playoffs. I would pitty any team that offers him 4/40M. That is the exact reason why they should trade him instead of waiting to face the prospect of losing him to a stupid GM for nothing or overpaying themselves just because he is their "best" player this year.

I would fully expect him to earn decent minutes in Portland but he won't be taking minutes from any of their core guys and that would show what his truer value is. Now if he goes to Portland and makes Batum or Mathews semi expendable then he will get paid.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#17 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Steve Blake is more than adequate as a back-up PG to Lillard so it just doesn't make sense for Portland to spend assets on him. Charlotte could use Knight though with Walker out. I do like Henson though.

How about this alteration?

Charlotte trades Stephenson for Knight and Thomas Robinson

Milwaukee trades Knight and Henson for McCollum, Leonard and the top 16 protected 1st

Portland trades McCollum, Leonard, Robinson and the top 16 protected 1st for Stephenson and gets arguably the best bench in the NBA to go along with one of the best starting line-ups.

Blake - Stephenson - Wright - Freeland - Kaman is definitely not one of the best benches, and that is assuming the Blazers aren't still decimated by injuries when the trade goes down.

Stephenson is a rich mans Barton (at 10x the cost!), and that is way too much to trade for him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:02 pm

I like the trade in the first post for both teams, and I'm speaking as a Bucks rooter. The Bucks need a center of the future, and Leonard is a center of the future. He's not there yet, but he's made great strides this season. McCollum is still young enough that he can develop into a real good 3rd guard - which ultimately might be the best role for Knight. Henson and Knight are solid pieces, but if they keep them, they'll likely have to over-pay to keep them. This is a good year for a fairly late 1st rounder - which Milwaukee can use. The trade hurts the Bucks record this season, but who cares? Either way, they'll likely make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 pm

What not to do when proposing a trade:

1. Make a lowball offer
2. When told this isn't enough, respond with how much the player you just targeted sucks
3. Repeat this theme multiple times.

Bucks deserve more value here. Making them take Ilya does add value to the Bucks, but doesn't work for Portland since they have lots of new big contracts to give out. I'm not sure there is a deal to be made here where the Blazers get both guys.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Monky15
Starter

Post#20 » by Monky15 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 pm

What about to Miami for Chalmers and their unprotected 1st. They could use the scoring and can pay him.

Return to Trades and Transactions