Indulge me on some Kevin Martin Mavs talk for the last time

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Indulge me on some Kevin Martin Mavs talk for the last time 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:22 pm

As all you regulars know, I have been in favor of the Mavs taking the Felton contract, pairing it with a couple min contracts plus some incentive for Kevin Martin.

Well there was some talk this week about a potential buyout if he wasn't traded with Flip pretty quickly seeming to squash that. The talk included pursuit by Dallas if that happened. So dead story, right?

Well USA Today reported today that Martin told the Wolves that he only wants to be traded to Dallas(not that he has any say, but interesting to note). Word out of Dallas is that they would love to have him, but don't want to be attached to that contract.

Also his agent is the same agent as Amare(and JJB, Parsons, etc) who has a very close relationship to Dallas FO

So since the deadline is today and its my last chance to bring this up, could Cuban blink on the money issue knowing the cap is expected to rise considerably making it a one-year issue with Dallas still having the ability to bring back their 3 big FAs?

And if Cuban is willing to pay the money, what would it take for Minny to move him? Next available first with some pretty strong protections? A 2nd this year and next? Or is this a dream of Chuck and Martin, but the Wolves just don't care and will keep him.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MNRunLeft
Starter
And1: 362

Re: Indulge me on some Kevin Martin Mavs talk for the last time 

Post#2 » by MNRunLeft » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Wolves probably don't care but since Felton has to be included to make the $ work I think the Wolves would require a future 1st without a geat deal of protections (top 12, top 10, top 8, top 5, unprotected) to get the conversation started. $ is going to be an issue since Felton for Martin isn't enough it would also require another contract or two to make the $ work and those need to be bought out by the Wolves.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#3 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Chuck maybe there is something to this, posted the salary break down in the Miller thread you made.

Maybe Felton goes to Sacramento.

2016 second you have from Memphis goes to Sac

Martin to you guys.

McCallum and Thompson to the wolves.

Maybe the Wolves toss another second Sacramento's way.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#4 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:35 pm

blind prophet wrote:Chuck maybe there is something to this, posted the salary break down in the Miller thread you made.

Martin to you guys.

Wouldn't want to touch Thompson's contract. Martin has more value then that. He's one of the more efficient scorers, and is paid decent, even though it's a year too long.

I don't know if Dallas has what the Wolves would want for Martin. I think we'd want expirings and a 1st if we move him. Flip seems to really like him as a proven scorer to take the load off of Wiggins/Pek/Ricky, and maybe as a mentor. Felton would probably be bought out if he comes here. We wouldn't' want him anywhere near the young guys.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Re: Indulge me on some Kevin Martin Mavs talk for the last time 

Post#5 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 pm

blind prophet wrote:Chuck maybe there is something to this, posted the salary break down in the Miller thread you made.

Martin to you guys.

Wolves don't need Thompson, his contract doesn't help either.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#6 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Martin after next season $7,085,000 $7,377,500

You can wash that final year for less than 3 million with Thompson because it is not fully guaranteed, and Ray is a cheap and decent guy to have on the bench I disagree.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,382

Post#7 » by jowglenn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:42 pm

I think some smart team swoops in and grabs Martin amidst all this talk.... why buy out? He's a great scorer, a real pro, on a solid contract. Some team should make a real play.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#8 » by shrink » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Can you give me a me a link to the "DAL only" line? I hadn't heard it, and would like to share it with others.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,901

Post#9 » by Dirk » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:47 pm

shrink wrote:Can you give me a me a link to the "DAL only" line? I hadn't heard it, and would like to share it with others.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/568249062253670400[/tweet]
60/21/10
Texas Chuck

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:53 pm

jowglenn wrote:I think some smart team swoops in and grabs Martin amidst all this talk.... why buy out? He's a great scorer, a real pro, on a solid contract. Some team should make a real play.

Oh I agree. I think Dallas should be that team and I think they shouldn't worry that much about the contract. Was just sharing some of the reports I had been hearing. I 100% agree it makes no sense to buy him out, unless I guess he was willing to walk away from all the money due him beyond this year which I can't imagine he would be.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
moss_is_1
RealGM

Post#11 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:08 pm

blind prophet wrote:Martin after next season $7,085,000 $7,377,500

You can wash that final year for less than 3 million with Thompson because it is not fully guaranteed, and Ray is a cheap and decent guy to have on the bench I disagree.

Thompson isn't really good at anything, though. He's alright on defense, that's about it. He's got good size, but doesn't do much with it(not a good rebounder, or shot-blocker). His PER is below 10. We have 2 young PF's on the roster(Payne/Bennet), plus Thad, and 2 centers. No need for Thompson.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#12 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:10 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:

Thompson isn't really good at anything, though. He's alright on defense, that's about it. He's got good size, but doesn't do much with it(not a good rebounder, or shot-blocker). His PER is below 10. We have 2 young PF's on the roster(Payne/Bennet), plus Thad, and 2 centers. No need for Thompson.

I'm assuming you guys want out of the Martin contract, and it does this for less after 1 annoying season, and gives you a decent prospect too.

If that's not the case, well then I am wrong.
moss_is_1
RealGM

Post#13 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:14 pm

blind prophet wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:

I'm assuming you guys want out of the Martin contract, and it does this for less after 1 annoying season, and gives you a decent prospect too.

I think most of us don't mind the Martin deal, and it seems like Flip agrees there. The only contract we are somewhat split on is Pek(outside of Budinger, who everyone hates). I wouldn't mind trying to get McCallum, think he's a nice little scoring guard potentially. Just don't think Thompson for Martin makes sense for us.
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#14 » by ace625214 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:16 pm

blind prophet wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:

Martin's contract is fine, even if he is demoted to a 6th/7th man. Where else will you get a 20ppg for under $7 mil? I think the only way Kevin gets traded is if he explicitly asks for it.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#15 » by blind prophet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Looking like I just can't get this Felton and Thompson trade to work Chuck, I've tried everything I can think of.
Texas Chuck

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:26 pm

blind prophet wrote:Looking like I just can't get this Felton and Thompson trade to work Chuck, I've tried everything I can think of.

appreciate the effort mate.

Its just hard for me to see that Dallas wants him, he wants Dallas, I think Minny would move him in the right deal and then nothing. I don't like financially responsible Cuban either. Screw tax for a year. Screw another first round pick. Do what we do--take on money and throw around picks like candy.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#17 » by shrink » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:27 pm

blind prophet wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:

I can understand having that perception, because a faction of the trade board used to hold it as well a few months back when Martin was injured. since then:

1. Martin has continued to put up over 20 PPG efficiently.

2. several teams have been struggling with their three point shooting

3. The TV deal is monstrous, and it's looking like there will be no smoothing, so some are throwing around around a $90 mil cap figure in 2016-17. This would put Martin's deal at under even the MLE.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Narf
Head Coach
And1: 880

Post#18 » by Narf » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:12 am

Chuck Texas wrote:
blind prophet wrote:Looking like I just can't get this Felton and Thompson trade to work Chuck, I've tried everything I can think of.

appreciate the effort mate.

Its just hard for me to see that Dallas wants him, he wants Dallas, I think Minny would move him in the right deal and then nothing. I don't like financially responsible Cuban either. Screw tax for a year. Screw another first round pick. Do what we do--take on money and throw around picks like candy.

My guess is that because Martin is a great fit in Minnesota (2 good defenders on either side with Rubio/Wiggins and Dieng/KG as help defenders....but a lack of 3 point shooting) that Flip wasn't willing to sell low on Martin. And other GMs looking in wanted a deal, thinking Minnesota should sell it's vet wing for what they can get and play the young guns at SG/SF (Wiggins, Shabazz, LaVine, and GR3).

I hope Martin comes off the bench personally, as he's a monster 6th man scorer and his D isn't a big issue vs most backup SGs....because they suck.

And I think this board is effing crazy, Martin's contract is a deal not a hinderence. Why trade a good player on a good contract unless you get real value back?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:20 am

shrink wrote:
blind prophet wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:Thompson isn't really good at anything, though. He's alright on defense, that's about it. He's got good size, but doesn't do much with it(not a good rebounder, or shot-blocker). His PER is below 10. We have 2 young PF's on the roster(Payne/Bennet), plus Thad, and 2 centers. No need for Thompson.

I can understand having that perception, because a faction of the trade board used to hold it as well a few months back when Martin was injured. since then:

1. Martin has continued to put up over 20 PPG efficiently.

2. several teams have been struggling with their three point shooting

3. The TV deal is monstrous, and it's looking like there will be no smoothing, so some are throwing around around a $90 mil cap figure in 2016-17. This would put Martin's deal at under even the MLE.

With no cap smoothing, #3 won't help, except in Martin's last year. Until then, he's still a good amount of cap, and one with flaws. I think this next season, he has expiring value/2nd. The year after, if he's still an efficient scorer (despite the abhorrent defense)? That's likely worth a 1st, especially in the huge cap jump year.

Return to Trades and Transactions