UPDATE 2: Thomas Robinson waiver claimed by the Sixers

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Re: Thomas Robinson agrees to buyout (per ESPN) 

Post#41 » by HornetJail » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:09 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:I'd probably put $20 on him either going to Philly or LA.

Well damn. Glad I didn't.

Nice pickup for Brooklyn. Hope he works out for them and becomes a long-term piece for them Robinson needs a steady role and the Nets can use any young talent they can get, considering they don't have draft picks for the next 42 years
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#42 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:

Nice pickup for Brooklyn. Hope he works out for them and becomes a long-term piece for them Robinson needs a steady role and the Nets can use any young talent they can get, considering they don't have draft picks for the next 42 years

Apparently its not quite over yet.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/569936520863485952[/tweet]

His contract is $3,678,360. Sixers are at 53.6m. Salary floor is at 56.67. Sixers could still pick him up to jump above the floor. If they did, they would need to cut someone, and would be roughly 700k over the floor, so would have to spend 1.4m or so (prorated salary) to not spend ~3m. So, 1.5m savings by claiming him?

It does cost them trade flexibility at the draft, and perhaps there will be a better waiver claim again, so maybe they don't? Either way, I would hold off on assuming its final until after 5pm just cause the incentives for the Sixers to claim him, and how out of the blue the Ish Smith claim was.
JMaine518
Starter
And1: 156

UPDATE: Thomas Robinson agrees to join Nets (per Woj) 

Post#43 » by JMaine518 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:24 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:

This! Lol, I hope he works out for us I like the guys motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: UPDATE: Thomas Robinson agrees to join Nets (per Woj) 

Post#44 » by Smitty731 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Nice pickup for the Nets, assuming it goes down like this. One day I will give in and stop believing this guy will be a player. Today isn't that day.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#45 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:14 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:

His contract is $3,678,360. Sixers are at 53.6m. Salary floor is at 56.67. Sixers could still pick him up to jump above the floor. If they did, they would need to cut someone, and would be roughly 700k over the floor, so would have to spend 1.4m or so (prorated salary) to not spend ~3m. So, 1.5m savings by claiming him?

It does cost them trade flexibility at the draft, and perhaps there will be a better waiver claim again, so maybe they don't? Either way, I would hold off on assuming its final until after 5pm just cause the incentives for the Sixers to claim him, and how out of the blue the Ish Smith claim was.

thats a bad for business move when a guy has agreed with a team and is excited to go there. It isnt impossible but usually if it doesnt help you on the floor you arent making a move like that.
HartfordWhalers

Post#46 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Prokorov wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:Well damn. Glad I didn't.

thats a bad for business move when a guy has agreed with a team and is excited to go there. It isnt impossible but usually if it doesnt help you on the floor you arent making a move like that.

Usually if a guy is being cut its not worth waiver claiming him. I assume the Sixers won't, but its not entirely out of the question. In terms of claiming waiver players that don't want to be claimed, Billups to LAC was the biggest one I can think of, and in that instance the team ignored his wishes and did it anyway.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#47 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Ironically this is the guy Billy King really wanted on draft night and why he protected the pick so poorly. He felt there were 3 difference makers in Davis, MKG and T.Rob. T.Rob also wanted to be drafted by NJ if they still had their pick.

Overall, it's a decent signing, but I was/am still hoping for Blatche.
He should get PT in Brooklyn as our depth at PF is minimal. He's young, athletic and can rebound which is what we need.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#48 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:47 pm

I think robinson will eventually start for us... maybe sooner rather then later. I think Hollins views young as a SF. i think we see maybe joe move back to SG and go big. that really helps solve alot of our problems:

Dwill or Jack
JJ
Thad
Trob
Plumlee or Brook

we get rebound at PF, something that was a big issue. we go big and take care some of the size issues. we move JJ to SG and take care of our biggest issue (skill/shooting at SG). that lineup overall looks like it lacks shooting until you realize thad shoots the 3 better then bogdanovic so you dont really lose any shooting.

i think the nets going back to going big is smart. and i think hollins will, especially with an athletic lineup like that where he can still run a bit
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Re: Thomas Robinson agrees to buyout (per ESPN) 

Post#49 » by Paradise » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:21 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Usually if a guy is being cut its not worth waiver claiming him. I assume the Sixers won't, but its not entirely out of the question. In terms of claiming waiver players that don't want to be claimed, Billups to LAC was the biggest one I can think of, and in that instance the team ignored his wishes and did it anyway.

Billups didn't have a verbal commitment when the Clippers claimed him, though.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:I think robinson will eventually start for us... maybe sooner rather then later. I think Hollins views young as a SF. i think we see maybe joe move back to SG and go big. that really helps solve alot of our problems:

Dwill or Jack
JJ
Thad
Trob
Plumlee or Brook

we get rebound at PF, something that was a big issue. we go big and take care some of the size issues. we move JJ to SG and take care of our biggest issue (skill/shooting at SG). that lineup overall looks like it lacks shooting until you realize thad shoots the 3 better then bogdanovic so you dont really lose any shooting.

i think the nets going back to going big is smart. and i think hollins will, especially with an athletic lineup like that where he can still run a bit

I would be surprised.

Hollins seems into giving small ball a chance and with 30 games or so left he doesn't have much time to experiment with more and more lineups.

He's also called JJ a SF since the preseason and that a guard would be the other starter.

And considering his comments that this team can't make shots, I don't see 3 non shooters starting. While Bogandaovic or Anderson may not be snipers they have been shooting better as of late and teams show them some respect, while I don't think they would with Thad. By default Thad would have ample looks from 3 (then again we have no post scoring in that lineup either so no need for double teams or packing the paint) and I worry he could be Wallace like.

Look at tonight for example...Hollins could start Young, Jefferson or Lopez but goes with the 6'3 Brown. I had a feeling we would see JJ at PF some time this season and here it is. He's 6'8", strong and has a post game. Hurts are rebounding and D but we said that same thing about PP.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#51 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:21 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:I think robinson will eventually start for us... maybe sooner rather then later. I think Hollins views young as a SF. i think we see maybe joe move back to SG and go big. that really helps solve alot of our problems:

Dwill or Jack
JJ
Thad
Trob
Plumlee or Brook

I would be surprised.

Hollins seems into giving small ball a chance and with 30 games or so left he doesn't have much time to experiment with more and more lineups.

He's also called JJ a SF since the preseason and that a guard would be the other starter.

And considering his comments that this team can't make shots, I don't see 3 non shooters starting. While Bogandaovic or Anderson may not be snipers they have been shooting better as of late and teams show them some respect, while I don't think they would with Thad. By default Thad would have ample looks from 3 (then again we have no post scoring in that lineup either so no need for double teams or packing the paint) and I worry he could be Wallace like.

Look at tonight for example...Hollins could start Young, Jefferson or Lopez but goes with the 6'3 Brown. I had a feeling we would see JJ at PF some time this season and here it is. He's 6'8", strong and has a post game. Hurts are rebounding and D but we said that same thing about PP.

bogdanovic is already wallace like... shooting it at 29% from deep.

i also dont know that he is shooting it better as of late. the last 5 games he has gone 4-18 from deep. he shot it 20% from deep in janurary. other then a 2 game stretch vs. toronto and the clippers where he went 6-11 he has been pretty awful from deep. If you want to start anderson i guess that puts another shooter on the floor, but bogs isnt a good shooter and continues to struggle from there. he is also completely unreliable on the road.

id just rather go big,.. at least size we can count on. if we go small we cant count on defending, getting steals, or shooting or transition since we dont have a group of guys who all do that well like we did last season. going big i think we can at least establish some consistency, play ugly and big like we did in 12-13. hollins had some poor shooting lineups in memphis, im sure he can manage
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#52 » by Golabki » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:45 pm

Where does Robinson rank on the list of lottery busts of the past 10 years? It's not Thabeet level bad, but he's seems like he's just one tier up from that.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:36 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

LOL

Philly trolling the Nets..

Philadelphia is likely to place a claim on Thomas Robinson and secure him via waivers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Deadline's 5 PM ET.

— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 24, 2015

And why not?
They have to use the cap space and they need to check out the talent they can.
Good for them.

Granted their ticking off Robinson, the Nets and their own players (who would have split the difference of the left over cap), but oh well. It's business.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#54 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Smart move by Philly. Saves them money.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HartfordWhalers

Post#55 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:43 pm

No one listens to me until Woj confirms it. Suck it detractors.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#56 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:Smart move by Philly. Saves them money.

How so?

I thought any money under the salary floor would have had to be split among the players on their roster?
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#57 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Hopefully this increases the odds that Blatche comes back (my first choice)
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#58 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:Smart move by Philly. Saves them money.

How so?

I thought any money under the salary floor would have had to be split among the players on their roster?

Right but they only have to pay out the prorated portion of Robinson's contract while getting credit for the whole thing.*

So they save the difference in real cash.

* we have had some debate on this, and Smitty says this isn't how it works, but I think this is the case. And Stein is reporting this claim gets them over the floor.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#59 » by Birdie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:53 pm

Philly in with the snipe E-bay style. Billy King just can't get a win this past week.

Trader, you don't think Blatche might consider MIA a better destination though?
Come at the king, you best not miss...
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Birdie wrote:Philly in with the snipe E-bay style. Billy King just can't get a win this past week.

Trader, you don't think Blatche might consider MIA a better destination though?

He's wanted BK since last summer, but maybe he prefers Miami...no idea. Neither team was interested last summer.
He's more familiar with BRK and it's players obviously. He's also picked BK twice in the past already for the min.

But.. his mother is supposedly sick (cancer) and thus he's not making a decision right now. Last I heard, the Nets reached out and they were in a "holding pattern".

One other thing... he would get bird rights if he signed with us, since he would have been here for 3 seasons...I think. Nets could pay him basically up the MLE this year season and whatever beyond (not likely)

Return to Trades and Transactions