Faried's value, can you help me out ?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Re: Faried's value, can you help me out ? 

Post#21 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Agreed with everyone liking the Toronto deal.

I avoided clicking this topic because with Faried, I feel like his value is just a huge question mark, and if he gets traded, there are a bunch of very different packages that wouldn't actually surprise me.

What about to Sac? Sac gets to play him at the 4 with Gay at the 3 and Cousins at the 5? I feel like that would be interesting, and there are all sorts of ways to make a deal.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#22 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:00 pm

I love him as the first big off the bench on a contender (see Anderson Varejao/Chris Anderson) or as a triangle PF (see Horace Grant). To that end, I think he's a luxury player. Portland and San Antonio would be good fits from a talent perspective, but not from a budgetary one.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:42 pm

Golabki wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
CellarDoor wrote:You need a very specific centeror wing duo around him though.

I've always kind of liked the fit of Faried between PG and Hibbert though I'm not sure of how it'd really work. And obviously he wouldn't start over West but could be subbed in early. I think his erratic/hustle defense could work kind of like Lance's did, though it's different on the perimeter and at the rim.

I have no idea what a trade would look like. Not sure how much we'd want to give up and not sure how much Denver would care about our assets since our main one would be our pick but they may not want more mid firsts.

Faired and Hibbert is going to create a lot of spacing problems for your team.

How much is a rich man's Tyler Handsbourgh worth in the modern NBA?

Absolutely. The fact that Faried takes 88% of his FGA over his career inside of 10 feet is definitely hurting his value. He needs to play with a center with an outside game, and all of the wings on his team have to be great shooters, also.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:45 pm

pacers33granger wrote:And I think he's much more than a rich man's Hansbrough. Hansbrough has two good skills: getting under guys' skin and drawing fouls.

Excuse me. You forgot the 3rd. Drawing blood. ;)
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#25 » by pacers33granger » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Golabki wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
I've always kind of liked the fit of Faried between PG and Hibbert though I'm not sure of how it'd really work. And obviously he wouldn't start over West but could be subbed in early. I think his erratic/hustle defense could work kind of like Lance's did, though it's different on the perimeter and at the rim.

I have no idea what a trade would look like. Not sure how much we'd want to give up and not sure how much Denver would care about our assets since our main one would be our pick but they may not want more mid firsts.

Absolutely. The fact that Faried takes 88% of his FGA over his career inside of 10 feet is definitely hurting his value. He needs to play with a center with an outside game, and all of the wings on his team have to be great shooters, also.

But Hibbert really isn't in the paint that much on offense. He gets pushed out too easily because of his base and he tends to settle for long jumpers or hook shots (which are ridiculously hit or miss).

I can see why it'd be an issue for some teams, but for teams like the Pacers, we don't even do much in the paint on offense. West is really the only one who would need space to operate there if he wants/needs to go down low and we obviously wouldn't play them together much if at all.

And I get where him getting all of his shots at the rim can be an issue, but that can also be a good asset. He doesn't do much outside of his comfort zone and you really want shots within 10 feet if you can get them.

Overall I'm not entirely sold on him with his new contract and like everyone else have no idea how he would actually fit on really any team, but I think he can bring a lot of good to most teams.

Scoot McGroot wrote:Excuse me. You forgot the 3rd. Drawing blood. ;)

How soon I forget his one elite skill. Probably the best in the league and maybe on par with the Mailman there.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#26 » by Mykhyn » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:56 pm

I think he'd be interesting on the Pacers next to George and Hibbert... I'm not seeing any other fit in the league tbh
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#27 » by Smitty731 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:00 pm

I don't think there is any way Denver would get anything their fans would deem fair value for him in a trade. His popularity alone makes that really hard. The performance in the World Championships was always a little flawed in its analysis. Guys like him generally tend to do well, because most other countries have no one who can match their athleticism. In addition, he would have been the biggest guy on a lot of those other rosters. So, he's hardly going up against NBA sized frontlines there.

I like the Toronto idea. I somewhat like the Indiana idea, but I would worry about spacing. I think he needs to be next to another big who can shoot some. Ideally in an up tempo offense where he can use his athleticism. Watching him slog through games is just painful right now.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#28 » by Golabki » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:37 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Golabki wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

I don't think spacing would be that big of an issue. Hibbert plays mid post anyways since he has a good mid range shot for a big and gets pushed out of the paint by most centers.

And I think he's much more than a rich man's Hansbrough. Hansbrough has two good skills: getting under guys' skin and drawing fouls. He's pretty average at best with everything else and usually poor. Faried is an elite rebounder with the ability to score well in spurts. And he's a much better hustle player than Hansbrough.

I also think that you can take his numbers this year with a grain of salt since the whole Nuggets team has been messed up and Shaw has been yanking Faried around all season.

Yeah... I mean Tyler may not be the best "poor man's". Those things are always easy to poke holes in.

He is a good rebounder, he is good at finding points around the rim off cuts and offensive boards. I just don't think he's that good and I don't think he's worth the money.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:24 pm

pacers33granger wrote:But Hibbert really isn't in the paint that much on offense. He gets pushed out too easily because of his base and he tends to settle for long jumpers or hook shots (which are ridiculously hit or miss).

I can see why it'd be an issue for some teams, but for teams like the Pacers, we don't even do much in the paint on offense. West is really the only one who would need space to operate there if he wants/needs to go down low and we obviously wouldn't play them together much if at all.

And I get where him getting all of his shots at the rim can be an issue, but that can also be a good asset. He doesn't do much outside of his comfort zone and you really want shots within 10 feet if you can get them.

Even then, Roy Hibbert is still taking 60% of his shots inside of 10 feet this year. Sure, the lowest of his career, but that's still predominantly inside of 10 feet. Add in that it's not just that Faried doesn't take shots outside of 10 feet, but that he cannot hit a shot outside of 10 feet worries me more. It's not that he just knows his skills, it's that he clearly doesn't even have a head start on those skills if he has to develop them on this contract.

I love Faried. I was banging the drum for the Pacers to draft him. I just think that on his current contract, we can't realistically acquire him, nor even accomodate his complete inability to shoot outside of the lane. We'd have to move Roy completely out of the point, at essentially all times.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#30 » by pacers33granger » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:But Hibbert really isn't in the paint that much on offense. He gets pushed out too easily because of his base and he tends to settle for long jumpers or hook shots (which are ridiculously hit or miss).

Even then, Roy Hibbert is still taking 60% of his shots inside of 10 feet this year. Sure, the lowest of his career, but that's still predominantly inside of 10 feet. Add in that it's not just that Faried doesn't take shots outside of 10 feet, but that he cannot hit a shot outside of 10 feet worries me more. It's not that he just knows his skills, it's that he clearly doesn't even have a head start on those skills if he has to develop them on this contract.

I love Faried. I was banging the drum for the Pacers to draft him. I just think that on his current contract, we can't realistically acquire him, nor even accomodate his complete inability to shoot outside of the lane. We'd have to move Roy completely out of the point, at essentially all times.

I think if we did acquire him it'd definitely be a gamble, but I'm confident Vogel could make it work, especially where Roy generally plays about 28 minutes. And we have had success in the past packing the paint on offense periodically with West/Hibbert (sort of like Memphis does with Zbo/Gasol and the Lakers did with Bynum/Gasol), though Faried doesn't really have a size advantage anywhere.

Still, I don't think there's any way we realistically can take on the contract as you said and there are concerns about fit so all kind of a moot point anyways.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#31 » by PDX MM » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:05 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:I love him as the first big off the bench on a contender (see Anderson Varejao/Chris Anderson) or as a triangle PF (see Horace Grant). To that end, I think he's a luxury player. Portland and San Antonio would be good fits from a talent perspective, but not from a budgetary one.

I love Faried as a player but I don't think he would fit well with Portland. He isn't going to start in front of Aldridge and as others have pointed out he isn't going to be logging big mins at the 3 or 5. Also I think Faried is to good to be a bench player, certainly makes more than I would pay a bench player. Even if there wasn't an LMA for us I am not sure Faried and Lopez would work all that well together. Still wish we would have drafted Faried instead of the scrub known as Nolan Smith. Never heard of him? I am not surprised.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#32 » by Xman » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:32 pm

I think his contract number kills getting back any value - so then is it better to keep him?
I would love to see him on the same team with Lance Stephenson, a shooting sf like Korver, an offensive center and a decent point guard. His and Stephenson's athleticism and hustle would shrink the court for opponents and create some solid playoff defense - but you need to make sure you have two solid shooting option on the court (Faried and LS could get their points off of hustle).
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#33 » by blind prophet » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:How about Thompson, Landry and #6?

If they'd only be so kind.

I take that deal and never look back.
DiamondParoxysm
Bench Warmer
And1: 54

Post#34 » by DiamondParoxysm » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:42 am

I see him as a 20-23MPG forward off the bench for a playoff team. Doesn't fit well with any center due to his lack of defensive skills & scoring. Maybe Horford or Marc Gasol. The most I could see a team give up would be expirings, a young player like Terrence Ross (just an example) & a protected 1st rounder.

It's ok if you disagree. It's difficult to judge his value right now.
Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/jacobfagan
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:19 pm

DiamondParoxysm wrote:It's ok if you disagree. It's difficult to judge his value right now.

I think this is pretty much where we're all at. He has value, but how much, and how much does his fit come into play?

For Indy, as has been discussed, we'd probably take him happily, but we can't make it work. We'd have to deal West to match contracts, and we'd probably prefer West over Faried this year, and maybe another one or two. If Hibbert opts out, we'd maybe be more likely to deal West for him and being a quick re-shuffling of the roster.

Return to Trades and Transactions