OKC Thunder Year In Review

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

OKC Thunder Year In Review 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:39 pm

So, dug up the last review, but some additions:

bondom34 wrote:Sigh....

Thunder (5-13 :cry: )

Trades:

Nope

Free Agent Signings:

Anthony Morrow - -3 year $10M --- Grade B+ Loved this when it happened, and its been alright. He is what he is, and that was a known. Morrow's a spot up shooter off the bench who's a poor defender, but adds some spacing like few others can. When he's on he's fantastic, when he's not put him on the bench and stick with the young guys. Between Morrow and Lamb usually one of the two is on in a given game, solid signing.

Sebastian Telfair - 1 year minimum --- Grade F Welp. As expected, he was playing in China for a reason. Most OKC fans saw it, but he's not very good, and was forced to play heavy minutes with Russ and RJ out to start the season. OKC picked up Ish Smith with the hardship exception and decided to cut Telfair and keep Smith, so no more Telfair.

Grant Jerrett- 4 year minimum --- Grade INC Young, stretch type 4 who mostly plays in the D League for now. Played a few minutes in one game, really nothing to see so far.

Lance Thomas - 1 year minimum --- Grade C- Honestly I grade this way easier than Telfair as he's been semi-passable given KD and PJ were/are out for such an extended period. Noone thought he'd see the court, ever, and he's been mildly passable. Better than Telfair, but that doesn't say much.

Draft

Mitch McGary - 21st overall --- Grade B Probably a high grade, but to be honest he showed a ton of promise in summer league and preseason. He's currently on the bench due to missed time for injury. I wouldn't be surprised if he was a piece of the big rotation by late in the season. I didn't like the pick at the time, but have changed course on this one.

Josh Huestis - 29th overall --- Grade C The guy who signed the D League contract. Honestly, there's no minutes for anyone else at this point, so whatever. Yeah, wish they woulda done something else but whatever.

Semaj Christon - 55th overall (via trade) --- Grade B I'm grading this one leniently b/c he's done well in the D League and I think he's gonna be a decent option as a backup PG in the relatively near future. For a late 2nd rounder, that's all I can ask.

Mid-Season Moves Needed:

So many things I'd like to see, but mainly Perk and Lamb for an upgrade at either the SG or backup C. It's the gaping hole that remains. That being said, I don't expect it, and honestly am at the point that I have no expectation for this team to make the postseason, a disappointment of massive proportions.

Welp, a bunch o' changes...

Record is at 32-25. So they've won at about a .700 clip, and a large portion was missing KD. Still need him healthy for a run, but the playoffs look more likely now than ever, hoping they hang on. As well, I'd regrade a few maybe in hindsight and add some new moves:

Regrades:

McGary to a B+ and I don't feel like its a stretch now. Assuming he stays healthy, he's a fantastic guy to have around, great energy big, not necessarily putting up huge numbers but I swear he does wind sprints every time down the court.

Huestis gets moved to a D for now, based on blind faith in Presti's drafting ability. KJ McDaniels or a few others would have been great, but he did save the roster spot which ended up coming in handy later.

Trades:

2015 first for Waiters: I liked it at the time, I'll admit. It's protected well, so likely a late first, not a huge cost. Waiters is what was advertised, though he seems to fit in in the locker room at the least and plays hard on defense. He's a great shooter, just not a maker, with a ton more long 2s than I'd ever care for. I could go lower, but he at least is semi-passable, so C- only because I still think the cost was low enough and he's had a few games where he's been decent.

Then came the big one: Ish Smith to the Pelicans for a protected second. I give it a B.

And the other deadline day deal.....Jackson, Perkins, Jerrett, a 2017 first (lotto protected for a while, don't remember full details but at least til 2020), and a second for DJ Augustin, Kyle Singler, Enes Kanter, and a Detroit second. Well, I was starting to lose faith in Presti and nearly went nuts on deadline day. There was a solid hour where Perk and RJ were gonna become Lopez and Norris Cole, and my sanity was lost. Then about 10 minutes before the deadline rumors came out and 5 minutes before the Woj bomb came to save me. So far, returns have been amazing, and this is coming from someone who appreciates what Perk brought to the Thunder. RJ is playing well for Detroit, but frankly everyone on the Thunder seems more at ease and happier since the trade.

Kanter has meshed perfectly with Ibaka and Westbrook, seems genuinely happy, and if it were my choice he's long term starter and Adams goes back to the bench. His game goes perfectly next to Ibaka's help defense, and the rebounding numbers have been nuts. I never realized how awesome it would be to have a big man capable of scoring 15 and 5 on a somewhat "off" night. To boot, Augustin is exactly what was really needed from a backup PG. Good contract, good guy, can shoot, distributes well. Singler as well is by a good margin the best backup SF on the roster (not saying much but still a big upgrade), also a solid shooter. Right now Westbrook is playing like some amazing non-human basketball destroying being and we're all witnesses. He seems to like the new guys and for the first time in a little while it seems like they're having fun and playing well.

Overall Grade: B, only because there was a solid week or so where I genuinely thought they were a lost cause, still can't believe they lost to the Knicks.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: OKC Thunder Year In Review 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Good write-up. Yeah, the only real head-scratcher to me (apart from the Huestis thing, which has been covered) was the Waiters trade, and even as someone who still thinks Waiters has something left to show, I didn't understand why OKC did that.

(I know some have said he was insurance against Reggie Jackson leaving, but it seems to be the same thing that happened with Phoenix bringing in IT to "insure" against Dragic leaving. In both cases all it did was "ensure" that the players in question left even sooner!)

Overall the big news that is that Sam Presti made a reasonably big move at the deadline, showing some guts and making a statement to his stars. That must count for quite a bit.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,687

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:08 pm

2014-15 Thunder review in totality:

Spoiler:
GOATBrook
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:13 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:2014-15 Thunder review in totality:

Spoiler:
GOATBrook

And...

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#5 » by KD35Brah » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:31 am

bondom34 wrote:So, dug up the last review, but some additions:

Huestis gets moved to a D for now, based on blind faith in Presti's drafting ability. KJ McDaniels or a few others would have been great, but he did save the roster spot which ended up coming in handy later.

Have you taken a look at Huestis' production in the D-League? He doing fine for a "non NBA talent" that everyone wrote off.

He's averaging 12ppg(52% TS, 111 Ortg), 6rpg, and 2bpg. He is shooting 34% from 3 on 6 attempts per game. .101 WS/48.

Don't you think he would fit perfectly as a Roberson replacement next season? If/When he transitions to the team next season and plays like this, you will see the hype rise.

He probably is KJ MCdaniels without the hype.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:33 am

KD35Brah wrote:

Have you taken a look at Huestis' production in the D-League? He doing fine for a "non NBA talent" that everyone wrote off.

He's averaging 12ppg(52% TS, 111 Ortg), 6rpg, and 2bpg. He is shooting 34% from 3 on 6 attempts per game. .101 WS/48.

Don't you think he would fit perfectly as a Roberson replacement next season? If/When he transitions to the team next season and plays like this watch the hype rise.

Awesome, didn't know this. Thanks!
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#7 » by KD35Brah » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:40 am

bondom34 wrote:
KD35Brah wrote:

Don't you think he would fit perfectly as a Roberson replacement next season? If/When he transitions to the team next season and plays like this watch the hype rise.

Awesome, didn't know this. Thanks!

Here are the highlights of the first couple months in the D-League.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-bc8pZLD4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrV3CQzR2Sk[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOvIqcVMGnE[/youtube]

They've had him shoot 3s at a high clip to help him become a better shooter and transition from PF to SF/SG. By next season he'll be a lot better.

I don't want to call him a steal or anything but he's much better than what people thought of him when he was drafted.

I'll post this in the subforum too.

Return to Trades and Transactions