Bos/Phi: Wallace + LAC pick (24) for rights to Chu Chu.

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,524

Bos/Phi: Wallace + LAC pick (24) for rights to Chu Chu. 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:24 pm

Topic says it all.

Boston out: Wallace, LAC pick
Boston in: Rights to Chu Chu

Philly in: Wallace, LAC pick
Philly out: Rights to Chu Chu
(Agreed to before the draft, formally done after the year change)

Why?

Boston uses a late first to clear 10.1m and try and make a splash now. Team seems headed that direction.
Philly uses cap space for a late 1st. Team is still in that direction.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Re: Bos/Phi: Wallace + LAC pick (24) for rights to Chu Chu. 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:35 pm

If the Celtics don't use the Rondo TPE (effectively ending the real chance at Cap space), I would do this. I wouldn't do it if the team has no real chance at space anyway. If it can add 10+ million more to space they have, for sure. The likelihood of a late first rounder contributing more than a player they could use the space on is pretty unlikely.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#3 » by cl2117 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:36 pm

Celtics board had a topic there the other day about if the Celtics would be willing to pay a pick, and if so which one, and literally 100% of the posters said they wouldn't be willing to use a first to dump him:
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1376017#start_here

The only caveat was if the Celtics were in a position where they were able to attract 2 max free agents and needed the space, but I think they'd need the max guys to commit first and then would pay what it costs to dump Wallace. It just doesn't make sense to dump him in the hopes of being able to use the cap space at the risk of them coming up empty handed and now with one less pick.

So I think you won't find many Celtics fans who'd be interested in this. Maybe when free agency starts, but I'd still doubt it.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
HartfordWhalers

Post#4 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:41 pm

cl2117 wrote:Celtics board had a topic there the other day about if the Celtics would be willing to pay a pick, and if so which one, and literally 100% of the posters said they wouldn't be willing to use a first to dump him:

The only caveat was if the Celtics were in a position where they were able to attract 2 max free agents and needed the space, but I think they'd need the max guys to commit first and then would pay what it costs to dump Wallace. It just doesn't make sense to dump him in the hopes of being able to use the cap space at the risk of them coming up empty handed and now with one less pick.

So I think you won't find many Celtics fans who'd be interested in this. Maybe when free agency starts, but I'd still doubt it.

Thanks for the link. It is interesting to see people claiming he will become an asset next year (What????) or that you could always stretch him and just have a 3m hit (sure, but that is for 3 years....). I definitely don't agree with those premises from which a bunch of the 0 pick comments come from, and agree more with the handful of posters that said something closer to Smitty above.
HartfordWhalers

Post#5 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:44 pm

And with the Rondo TPE big enough to have taken McGee, I took that non trade as 12m of cap room next year is worth more than a pick at 19 this year to Boston. So, 10m for a pick at 24 seems reasonable. Maybe Boston wasn't as optimistic that the pick comes in this year and saw it as 12m of cap room next year > a pick at 28 next year and nothing can be read in.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#6 » by rickrolled » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:50 pm

Boston can stretch Wallace and create 7 million in capspace rather than paying a 1st round pick. So easy no.

Unless we have the chance to sign TWO max free agents I see no reason to use assets to dump Wallace who has a year left, we waited 2 years, might as well ride his contract out.
cl2117
General Manager

Post#7 » by cl2117 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:53 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
cl2117 wrote:Celtics board had a topic there the other day about if the Celtics would be willing to pay a pick, and if so which one, and literally 100% of the posters said they wouldn't be willing to use a first to dump him:

Thanks for the link. It is interesting to see people claiming he will become an asset next year (What????) or that you could always stretch him and just have a 3m hit (sure, but that is for 3 years....). I definitely don't agree with those premises from which a bunch of the 0 pick comments come from, and agree more with the handful of posters that said something closer to Smitty above.

Yeah I don't think those people fully understand how the cap works and it still infuriates me when people claim that X player will be an "asset" purely because they are a large expiring, the logic there is baffling to me.

But even if you weed those people out, you're still left with 100% of people who would still not fork over a first round pick to move him. I think Smitty is in the minority here. It's a different story if they were adding a couple major pieces, but that's unlikely so I don't see them wasting a first to dump Wallace in the hopes they can make big splashes.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#8 » by irie » Thu Mar 5, 2015 6:57 pm

If that's an actual offer on the table, I hope Ainge takes it. Only using one late first to move him is a great deal.
♣|☸
cl2117
General Manager

Post#9 » by cl2117 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 7:06 pm

irie wrote:If that's an actual offer on the table, I hope Ainge takes it. Only using one late first to move him is a great deal.

Why though? What are we going to do with the cap space?

If there were a pair of guys that the C's were going to be able to bring in and turn this team into a real playoff team or a potential giant killer from the 7th or 8th seed I'd be interested, but I doubt that's going to be a viable option this summer. Why give up a pick in the hopes that something like that comes along? I'd need some deals in place before I wasted an asset like that.

He's an expiring contract when this deal goes down. One more year and you're done with him and he'd be a relatively decent size to use to match salary if Ainge had an opportunity to make a big trade.

I just don't see the benefit beyond cap flexibility and I doubt Ainge gets all that much use out of said flexibility. I'd rather the pick and keep eating Wallace's deal. I could be persuaded though if people had actual players in mind with the money this frees up, but I'd want more than just phantom X player. I'd want a real plan to use the space before Ainge paid to get it.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#10 » by wickedwrister » Thu Mar 5, 2015 7:19 pm

Don't think I could handle the sixers trading the rights to Chu Chu and Cenk Akyol in one year.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#11 » by skywalker33 » Thu Mar 5, 2015 8:49 pm

wickedwrister wrote:Don't think I could handle the sixers trading the rights to Chu Chu and Cenk Akyol in one year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!

Return to Trades and Transactions