Jose Calderon and Tim Hardaway Jr. for cap space/TPE

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Re: Jose Calderon and Tim Hardaway Jr. for cap space/TPE 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:00 am

SuperflyKnick wrote:
giberish wrote:IMO you're overrating Calderon. He's a mediocre backup-quality PG, and only getting older. IMO he'd be worth $2-3M/yr on-court, and Hardaway doesn't really make up the rest but may be close enough to get nothing back in a deal.

Calling some a backup is one thing but a medicore backup ? Seriously ... Top shooters in the league , top assist to ratio players in the league , veteran who gets the job done ... Might be a tad bit overpaid but is nothing close to medicore ....

He's not a top shooter anymore. Still good from beyond the arc, and horrid from inside the arc. Currently, he's shooting 41.5% for each. Good for one, bad for the other.

And he's 25th in assist to turnover ratio right now. Know who's ahead of him? JJB, Nate Rob, Ronnie Price, Donald Sloan, Dellavedova, Devin Harris, Andre Miller, Phil Pressey, Brian Roberts, Brandon Jennings, Steve Blake, Trey Burke, and Shelvin Mack, in addition to Paul, Lowry, Wall, Kemba, etc.

It's not as much of a statement as you think. In my first list, many more of those guys make the minimum than over $3m right now.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,778

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:07 am

Scoot,

Who is finishing when he passes the ball right now tho? I'm not sure I'd judge a pass-first PG on his assist numbers when playing with no offensive options.

And your point about his 2-pt shooting is somewhat fair, tho considering how few shots he actually takes from the mid-range its not as bad as it seems. 40% of his shots are from 3. And another 10% is at the rim. And again who is creating space for him on the Knicks. I think it's fairly safe to think his percentages will all come back closer to his career norms on an actual NBA roster trying to win games.

I try never to over-react good or bad to stats on teams this bad.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,836

Post#23 » by giberish » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:36 am

Sure, offense-only he's good backup/low-end starter.

Defense matters too, even for PG's, and he's declining there as well - from a very low 'peak'. That really drags down his value given that he's not that good on offense. Decent offense/really bad defense isn't a combo you pay much to.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,480

Jose Calderon and Tim Hardaway Jr. for cap space/TPE 

Post#24 » by jayjaysee » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:01 am

Like the Dallas suggestion - I think it makes more sense broken down.

Jose goes to Dallas
Felton, Powell, THJ to Philly

Jose to Sac
Thompson and THJ to Philly (that might be better with Thompson going to a fourth team though as he's not the worst expiring in league)

Jose to Milwaukee
Ersan and THJ? I think ersan's 2016/2017 year is almost full ung?

Or whatever like that.

But Ya.. I don't think the Knicks would struggle to find buyers for that package. Any team with 8 mil cap space and only one PG in their ideal rotation should do it.. Not like trading for a guy you don't want to see on the court.. Just don't want to see him 36mpg.

Would getting Jose really be that bad of a thing for Philly? He's a smart vet to have practice/play with their kids and he clearly won't win you games on his own..

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#25 » by SuperflyKnick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:14 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:
giberish wrote:IMO you're overrating Calderon. He's a mediocre backup-quality PG, and only getting older. IMO he'd be worth $2-3M/yr on-court, and Hardaway doesn't really make up the rest but may be close enough to get nothing back in a deal.

Calling some a backup is one thing but a medicore backup ? Seriously ... Top shooters in the league , top assist to ratio players in the league , veteran who gets the job done ... Might be a tad bit overpaid but is nothing close to medicore ....

He's not a top shooter anymore. Still good from beyond the arc, and horrid from inside the arc. Currently, he's shooting 41.5% for each. Good for one, bad for the other.

And he's 25th in assist to turnover ratio right now. Know who's ahead of him? JJB, Nate Rob, Ronnie Price, Donald Sloan, Dellavedova, Devin Harris, Andre Miller, Phil Pressey, Brian Roberts, Brandon Jennings, Steve Blake, Trey Burke, and Shelvin Mack, in addition to Paul, Lowry, Wall, Kemba, etc.

It's not as much of a statement as you think. In my first list, many more of those guys make the minimum than over $3m right now.

Did u fail to realize he plays with an actual D league team ..
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#26 » by sportscrazy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:35 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:

He's 16th in assists per turnover http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... noverRatio

Of the players listed ahead of him only 8 average more assists per game than him. (Paul, Lawson, Kemba, Jennings, Rubio, Holiday, Lowry and Wall).

Not saying it makes an argument either way, just nitpicking.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#27 » by sportscrazy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:39 am

In yet another attempt to make every one happy and probably fail miserably:

Knicks get:
David Lee
Brandon Rush
2019 Lottery Protected GSW First Round Draft Pick

Warriors get:
Carl Landry
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Traded Player Exception(s)
2017 Houston Rockets Second Round Draft Pick

Kings get:
Jose Calderon
2019 Houston Rockets Second Round Draft Pick
2019 Cleveland Cavaliers Second Round Draft Pick
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#28 » by Gremz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:28 am

Not sure. It's a bit of a "meh" package really. I might well be in the minority, but you'd probably need to give up more for pure cap space.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:22 pm

sportscrazy wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:

He's 16th in assists per turnover http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/playe ... noverRatio

Of the players listed ahead of him only 8 average more assists per game than him. (Paul, Lawson, Kemba, Jennings, Rubio, Holiday, Lowry and Wall).

Not saying it makes an argument either way, just nitpicking.

Well. 17th on that list. And, still well behind many other guys that could be used much cheaper. JJB, Sloan, etc.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:24 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:

And how does that come into play? Are you saying if he's plopped into Cleveland with Lebron, Love, and Kyrie that he'll be a Korver like shooter, put up 9+ assists a night and be an MVP candidate?

Or are you just hoping that explains that Calderon has been a flawed player his entire career and we'll just ignore that?
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#31 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Why is Tim Hardaway Jr. worth taking on Jose Calderon at $14.5 mil over two years? He's a 23 year old shooting guard who can't actually shoot...
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#32 » by SuperflyKnick » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

And how does that come into play? Are you saying if he's plopped into Cleveland with Lebron, Love, and Kyrie that he'll be a Korver like shooter, put up 9+ assists a night and be an MVP candidate?

Or are you just hoping that explains that Calderon has been a flawed player his entire career and we'll just ignore that?

never said he wasnt a flawed player.. but he would def look a heck alot better with actual players around him to pass to and score off of....
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:52 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SuperflyKnick wrote:

Maybe a bit better. Maybe his drop off from age wouldn't be as pronounced, but it's not like he was really wanted in Dallas, nor in Detroit. He's been replaced pretty much everywhere he's played.

I like the guy. If he were paid around the BAE, or less than the MLE, he'd be a very fine backup. Unfortunately, this year, he's paid as a starter. Same for next. The following year? Well, he's likely still paid more than the MLE. Overpaid backup at that point.

never said he wasnt a flawed player.. but he would def look a heck alot better with actual players around him to pass to and score off of....

Return to Trades and Transactions