Off-season Challenge: Timberwolves Edition

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,709

Off-season Challenge: Timberwolves Edition 

Post#1 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:55 pm

So going into next season the Wolves look something like this:

Executive/Coach: Flip Saunders

Depth Chart (feel free to correct me Wolves fans)

Pekovic/Dieng/KG?
KG?/Payne/Bennett
Wiggins/Bud
Martin/Shabazz
Rubio/Lavine

I'm not sure what to expect in regards to KG, but I understood the team wanted to extend him. If both are back, that fills 12 roster spots. They will have their own 1st and likely own 2nd(will send the Nuggets 2nd to clear obligation to Philly) which unless they draft and stash with their high 2nd means 14 roster spots could be filled before FA starts.

Draft(Current Projection):
#2 overall
#32 overall

Free Agency:

Should have full MLE to spend.

So how would you proceed to continue moving the Wolves in the right direction? This has traditionally been a franchise that does not embrace the full tank. They continue to use assets to bring in veteran guys. I'm assuming you don't move on from Flip yet, but does anyone feel like he should have one job or the other? And if so which one? Do you try and move out any of the veterans? Do you do it even if you get little to no return or even attach an asset to move Pek's contract? Which young players do you see as core and who is expendable? You get the idea.

What I would like to see is a plan that has the Wolves on the right track moving forward. Wolves fans, your input can be very helpful in this process, but please be constructive in your feedback.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:57 pm

You need to take Thad out of there
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Off-season Challenge: Timberwolves Edition 

Post#3 » by LApwnd » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:08 pm

their team is set IMO, just young players to get better and the "vets" to stop getting hurt.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:08 pm

A few quick points I'd do, or consider:

1. I'd rather keep Saunders as GM only, try to find a younger coach who embraces analytics a little more and works wit the athleticism they have.

2. Move Pek, even if it costs a small to medium asset. If Bennett can be moved, him too.

3. Only move Martin if you're getting something good in return.

4. Okafor or Towns, whoever is still on the board.

5. Stop playing Lavine at PG if possible. I haven't seen them lately, but he was stuck there when Rubio was out. Not good.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Texas Chuck

Re: 

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:20 pm

pacers33granger wrote:You need to take Thad out of there

You are convinced he is opting out? I'm not.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: Re: 

Post#6 » by bondom34 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:

He plays for the Nets?
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Texas Chuck

Re: Re: 

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:22 pm

bondom34 wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:

He plays for the Nets?

How did I forget this? :banghead: :crazy:
Texas Chuck

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Some of my thoughts:

I keep Flip in both jobs, but I try and find a young smart recently retired player to groom to be the guy--I try and talk Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Dre Miller(if he retires) someone like that nto taking an assistant job with the idea that he will be the head guy in a year or 2.

I see if I can attach Bud to Bennett and get them both out. Maybe even add the early 2nd if I have to--would Philly take them?

I try and arrange a Martin/Calderon swap. Martin gives the Knicks a cheap 2nd/3rd option as to they try and rebuild via FA and Calderon seems like the perfect complement to Rubio at PG. Knicks might even give some incentive which I could send to Philly in lieu of the 2nd.

Which leads to taking Lavine off the point and with Martin gone there are minutes for he and Shabazz at the 2.

Take BPA at the 2nd spot depending on how I evaluate them. Likely Towns.

I don't spend big in FA even if successful in clearing out more cap space. I bring KG back for one more year if he wants to play. And then I sign some veteran shooters on cheap 1 year deals.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#9 » by Mattya » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:01 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:Some of my thoughts:

I keep Flip in both jobs, but I try and find a young smart recently retired player to groom to be the guy--I try and talk Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Dre Miller(if he retires) someone like that nto taking an assistant job with the idea that he will be the head guy in a year or 2.

I see if I can attach Bud to Bennett and get them both out. Maybe even add the early 2nd if I have to--would Philly take them?

I try and arrange a Martin/Calderon swap. Martin gives the Knicks a cheap 2nd/3rd option as to they try and rebuild via FA and Calderon seems like the perfect complement to Rubio at PG. Knicks might even give some incentive which I could send to Philly in lieu of the 2nd.

Which leads to taking Lavine off the point and with Martin gone there are minutes for he and Shabazz at the 2.

Take BPA at the 2nd spot depending on how I evaluate them. Likely Towns.

I don't spend big in FA even if successful in clearing out more cap space. I bring KG back for one more year if he wants to play. And then I sign some veteran shooters on cheap 1 year deals.

1. Unless it is the only way to have KG back for 1 max 2 more years then Flip should not be coach. Id bring in Malone who has spent two different roads trips with the Wolves since he was fired. Thibs, who was with the Celtics with KG, hopefully give the young guys the hard nosed play the Bulls have had. Hoidberg has a lot of relationships with the Wolves, if he leaves Iowa he would be another choice. Or groom a guy like Billups under Flip.

2.I'd be looking to package some of the young guys with Bud, who would be expiring during the big 2016 offseason, and Bennett who I believe has a team option after next season. See if there is anyone out there to add to the core. That or hang onto them til the deadline and see if anyone is more ready for summer cap space then.

3. I wouldn't trade Martin for Calderon, but I would offer Buds expiring for him. Pretty sure the Wolves still have a $6.3 mil TPE to bring in a back up point guard.

4. Hope to resign Neal and bring back KG for another year. Agree on free agents unless it's a no brainer.

5.Pray for Towns or Okafor. Would still be fine with Russell or Mudiay, but would look for a real nice trade back package. Pretty much every move this offseason depends on this part first.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,936

Post#10 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:17 pm

1.) Go get Malone and let Flip just GM. Or else find another Pop branch coach.
2.) Try to package Pek while he still has decent value. Maybe package him in a three team deal that let's them end up with Iggy?
3.) Draft Okafur or Towns. If not, Russell.
4.) Get KG to come back as a player coach type role.
5.) Hold on to all expirings and only sign one year deals and try to clear the books for 2016 aside from our core pieces and go all in in FA in 2016 while having another year of experience from Wiggins, Rubio, Bazz, Lavine, Dieng, and Towns(or whoever else). They should be able to attract nice FA's with those guys supporting them.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#11 » by loserX » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:46 pm

I looked for a landing spot for Pekovic and found it surprisingly difficult. Whether it's style, or length of contract, or the fact that some teams have fine centres already, there simply weren't many matches. (Milwaukee maybe? Boston, if Ainge is willing to take on that contract?) I don't think they should use an asset to dump him, so maybe it's best just to keep him around.

As I have said before, Minnesota is currently working on the third-longest playoff drought in NBA history. I fully expect that neither ownership nor fans will be happy with tearing everything down for a rebuild just so they can spend another 5 years in the lottery. I know a lot of people think "why would you ever strive for the 8th seed?" but in this case I think it's a good idea, as long as you do it the right way. (Trading future draft picks for 32-year-olds, for instance = the wrong way.)

Swap Budinger to Sacramento for Landry. Yes, Landry's contract is a year longer, but unlike Budinger he can actually do something, and if the Wolves are extending KG then cap doesn't matter so much anyway. One year at about MLE level salary, in the year the cap explodes, isn't going to hurt much. Sacramento drops a year off Landry's deal, so why not.

See if Philly will take Bennett; offer a 2nd if need be. Make it a 3-way deal where Minny absorbs Jarrett Jack off Brooklyn's tax-laden books. Jack can play combo guard for a year (certainly offering more than Bennett) coming off the bench with LaVine, which should help determine whichever position LaVine ends up at.

Dieng/Pek/KG
KG/Payne/Landry
Wiggins/Mohammed
Martin/LaVine
Rubio/Jack

With the second pick, I'd actually be tempted to take Russell. Isn't he the perfect running mate for Rubio going forward? Towns is also a fine choice, obviously. Either way they'll have decisions to make because of the way their roster is constructed.

Making the playoffs in the West is obviously going to continue to be a nightmare, but the team still has some exciting pieces and no more deadweight on the roster.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#12 » by loserX » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Oh yes, forgot the coaching question. Mattya suggested Fred Hoiberg, and I like that pick a lot. He'll be good and hungry in this coaching gig, but he'll also have the respect of the kids (and the support of KG!) right away.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#13 » by Warriorfan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:12 pm

KG if he doesn't retire is the C and Dieng probably the PF.

I would really dump K Mart and Pek because in 2 yrs their contracts won't be so huge.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#14 » by Mattya » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:18 pm

Warriorfan wrote:KG if he doesn't retire is the C and Dieng probably the PF.

I would really dump K Mart and Pek because in 2 yrs their contracts won't be so huge.

Pek probably since we can't count on him to be healthy. KMart, na. He is already on a good contract that expires in 2 more years and with the increasing cap he will be a bargain.

Return to Trades and Transactions