Lee For Wallace (Bos/GSW)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Lee For Wallace (Bos/GSW) 

Post#1 » by giberish » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:31 am

Simple deal - Wallace for Lee

For Boston, they add $5M in salary to get a solid rotation player without any long-term cost. Lee's not great, but on a worse/less deep team than GS he can sill be a solid rotation player. This could also be expanded to a 3rd team if Boston is using Wallace for salary filler and the 3rd team isn't going full 76er and would prefer Lee.

For GS, the save $5M, and they can waive and stretch Wallace, reducing their salary for next year by another $6+M. Even if they spend $3-5M on a replacement reserve big that's still a $6-9M payroll reduction without hurting the team on-court. There's some concern about pushing Wallace's contract into the next two years, but just keeping the players they want will keep GS out of having useful cap room while the luxury tax line should be so high they can stay under it.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,051

Re: Lee For Wallace (Bos/GSW) 

Post#2 » by Laimbeer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:33 am

A bit tilted to Boston. Lee is more than $5M better than Wallace.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#3 » by Drax » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:05 am

No thanks from Boston. Without a doubt Lee is a far better player than Wallace at this point, but he doesn't add anything to the current Celtics team that validates $5M on our payroll. Boston could use this $5M to address real needs on our roster and there are plenty.

Boston either has to continue develop the current young players or add a star, i don't see a point in swaping roleplayers (especially if they create a longjam this case PF) at this stage of the rebuild.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#4 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:33 am

Charlotte sends in an offer to Golden State- Marvin Williams and Brian Roberts for David Lee- about $300k less salary, and better production than Wallace. Lee is worth more than that, but this is definitely better than just Wallace.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,744

Post#5 » by gswhoops » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:47 am

^^ Are they expiring?
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:16 am

gswhoops wrote:^^ Are they expiring?

yes.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
azwfan
RealGM

Post#7 » by azwfan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:24 am

BizGilwalker wrote:Charlotte sends in an offer to Golden State- Marvin Williams and Brian Roberts for David Lee- about $300k less salary, and better production than Wallace. Lee is worth more than that, but this is definitely better than just Wallace.

Are these guys injured? If not, I accept this trade.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#8 » by azwfan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:30 am

giberish wrote:Simple deal - Wallace for Lee

For Boston, they add $5M in salary to get a solid rotation player without any long-term cost. Lee's not great, but on a worse/less deep team than GS he can sill be a solid rotation player. This could also be expanded to a 3rd team if Boston is using Wallace for salary filler and the 3rd team isn't going full 76er and would prefer Lee.

For GS, the save $5M, and they can waive and stretch Wallace, reducing their salary for next year by another $6+M. Even if they spend $3-5M on a replacement reserve big that's still a $6-9M payroll reduction without hurting the team on-court. There's some concern about pushing Wallace's contract into the next two years, but just keeping the players they want will keep GS out of having useful cap room while the luxury tax line should be so high they can stay under it.

As for this trade... I think even if we trade Lee for Wallace, and then stretch provision Wallace, we will still only be able to use the Tax Payers MLE... which is like 2.5M. Think we take a pretty decent hit using this strategy. I'd prefer to get someone who we can use... even if its sparingly. Is Wallace completely useless now a days?
azwfan
RealGM

Post#9 » by azwfan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:42 am

BizGilwalker wrote:

yes.

Hey, Marvin Williams is a sub 70% FT shooter now? He was an 80% ft guy before. Is he unhappy in CHA?
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#10 » by HornetJail » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:35 am

azwfan wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:

yes.

Hey, Marvin Williams is a sub 70% FT shooter now? He was an 80% ft guy before. Is he unhappy in CHA?

seems happy here, but he's just extraordinarily ordinary as a basketball player. He seems like a really nice locker room guy, he's just not very good at anything, and he's miscast as a PF here for some reason.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
azwfan
RealGM

Post#11 » by azwfan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:39 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
azwfan wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:yes.

seems happy here, but he's just extraordinarily ordinary as a basketball player. He seems like a really nice locker room guy, he's just not very good at anything, and he's miscast as a PF here for some reason.

We'll hand him over to Ron Adams and make him useful. Trade accepted.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#12 » by ChuckDurn » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:40 am

BizGilwalker wrote:Charlotte sends in an offer to Golden State- Marvin Williams and Brian Roberts for David Lee- about $300k less salary, and better production than Wallace. Lee is worth more than that, but this is definitely better than just Wallace.

Pretty sure the Warriors would jump on this if it was offered. I certainly would.

It would save something like $5.6M in salary, probably around $9M more in the tax, and would return a couple of guys with contracts that would be much easier to move at the deadline (should they want to do so) than Lee's massive deal. Plus, Williams might actually be a nice fit in the Warriors' scheme of switching everything, as he could be another pretty good 6'8" stretch 4 for the team.

Nice deal. I'd definitely take it. Couldn't imagine Lee playing next to Jefferson on the front line in Charlotte, but that's not mine to worry about......
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#13 » by giberish » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:08 am

azwfan wrote:
giberish wrote:Simple deal - Wallace for Lee

As for this trade... I think even if we trade Lee for Wallace, and then stretch provision Wallace, we will still only be able to use the Tax Payers MLE... which is like 2.5M. Think we take a pretty decent hit using this strategy. I'd prefer to get someone who we can use... even if its sparingly. Is Wallace completely useless now a days?

GS could add a player back with the $5M difference in salaries (though it couldn't be a S&T, but someone under contract). They'd only have the mini-MLE for FA's.

Obviously if GS can get more salary relief, or a useful, cheaper player in return that's preferable but those may require additional assets out from GS and I doubt the team wants to use 1st round picks or Barnes for that.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#14 » by Warriorfan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:09 am

I'd do the deals posted but pretty sure the Warriors will end up getting better.

At the deadline to 76ers for a TPE so they get to the floor.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#15 » by Maple Green » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:37 am

For Boston, I would agree on this trade in ONE CONDITION- The TPE of Wallace was credited to Boston like Rondo trade type.

Then Boston trade Lee + Sixers 2015 2nd round pick trade to Sixers for Noel Nerlins

PG-Smart,IT,Pressey
SG-Turner,Bradley
SF-Crowder,Datome,Jerebko
PF-KO,Sully,Bass
C-Zeller,Nerlins
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#16 » by Drax » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:30 am

azwfan wrote:As for this trade... I think even if we trade Lee for Wallace, and then stretch provision Wallace, we will still only be able to use the Tax Payers MLE... which is like 2.5M. Think we take a pretty decent hit using this strategy. I'd prefer to get someone who we can use... even if its sparingly. Is Wallace completely useless now a days?

Depends on what you expect out of him. He reguarly gets his DNPs and if he plays he rarely produces on offense. He's a professional about his situation though and mentors the young guys in Boston. He is Stevens man to feel out the lockerroom and acts like an additional assistant coach therefore. If Wallace gets playing time, he offers still pretty good defense and hustle plays, but thats about it.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,525

Post#17 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:17 am

Maple Green wrote:For Boston, I would agree on this trade in ONE CONDITION- The TPE of Wallace was credited to Boston like Rondo trade type.

Then Boston trade Lee + Sixers 2015 2nd round pick trade to Sixers for Noel Nerlins

PG-Smart,IT,Pressey
SG-Turner,Bradley
SF-Crowder,Datome,Jerebko
PF-KO,Sully,Bass
C-Zeller,Nerlins

So, your thinking is Philly would trade Noel for a 15m bad contract and a second rounder?
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#18 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am

I think Boston passes. They have something working with their young core of bigs with Zeller, Olynyk, and Sullinger; and their pick projects to be in the middle of a group of bigs: Willie Cauley-Stein, Kevon Looney, Try Lyles, and Bobby Portis. I cannot see them bringing in a player who could take minutes from the 4/5; unless something stupid happens like Stanley Johnson falling to the 10th pick.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#19 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:46 pm

The salary difference vs. production of both players isn't worth the $5 million in savings for the Warriors. Secondly, I dont think Celtics want to cannibalize minutes for Zeller, Olynyk and Sullinger as each of those guys should get 25 mpg.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,051

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 pm

Wouldn't be shocked or thrilled, but I can see the Pistons using Lee as a stopgap if they strike out in free agency. My guess is Jackson gets a big contract, but that's it. Monroe will probably walk. There will be cap space.

Return to Trades and Transactions