How high a 2nd pick can Philly get?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Re: How high a 2nd pick can Philly get? 

Post#21 » by Laimbeer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:49 am

Mattya wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Both. I would say to get to #6 you would need Miami's pick to be 11 or 12. To move up from 6 top the top 4 of this draft you are going to have to do more than take on a 1 year 5 mil contract.

Yeah, I agree on Minnesota. I'm not sure Minnesota has a contract that is worth moving, in order to move down two spots. My guess was that they would want WCS or Porzingis more than Mudiay, so it may not take as much.

Well they aren't just going to give up on value based on need. All the local reports say Flip likes Mudiay. So, he might just draft him and play him with Rubio, or move Rubio. They aren't going to pass on a potential guy like Mudiay to get out of that type of contract. Bud could probably be bought out this summer which would make more sense than doing that.[/quote]

This is interesting and might make a good discussion. If Minny is up at four and consider Mudiay a cut above everyone else, then what? My take is they trade Rubio. But getting value to move down, as opposed to just taking a lesser player, is an option as well. Not sure you'd want to keep both and tie up so much in terms of assets at the point.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#22 » by Mattya » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:02 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Yeah, I agree on Minnesota. I'm not sure Minnesota has a contract that is worth moving, in order to move down two spots. My guess was that they would want WCS or Porzingis more than Mudiay, so it may not take as much.

Well they aren't just going to give up on value based on need. All the local reports say Flip likes Mudiay. So, he might just draft him and play him with Rubio, or move Rubio. They aren't going to pass on a potential guy like Mudiay to get out of that type of contract. Bud could probably be bought out this summer which would make more sense than doing that.

This is interesting and might make a good discussion. If Minny is up at four and consider Mudiay a cut above everyone else, then what? My take is they trade Rubio. But getting value to move down, as opposed to just taking a lesser player, is an option as well. Not sure you'd want to keep both and tie up so much in terms of assets at the point.[/quote]

They both bring things we need even if they aren't a great fit. It would be smarter to do that than to trade back a couple spots just to shed an expiring contract.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#23 » by Laimbeer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Mattya wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Well they aren't just going to give up on value based on need. All the local reports say Flip likes Mudiay. So, he might just draft him and play him with Rubio, or move Rubio. They aren't going to pass on a potential guy like Mudiay to get out of that type of contract. Bud could probably be bought out this summer which would make more sense than doing that.

This is interesting and might make a good discussion. If Minny is up at four and consider Mudiay a cut above everyone else, then what? My take is they trade Rubio. But getting value to move down, as opposed to just taking a lesser player, is an option as well. Not sure you'd want to keep both and tie up so much in terms of assets at the point.

They both bring things we need even if they aren't a great fit. It would be smarter to do that than to trade back a couple spots just to shed an expiring contract.[/quote]

Agree 100% that dumping Budinger isn't nearly enough value to drop out of the top four. I'd want something better than that.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#24 » by Bentley1225 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I think Detroit and Charlotte are good candidates for Philly to trade up with the Miami pick. Why not both Jennings and Stephenson?. Detroit needs to free up room to re-sign Jackson and Monroe. Bobcats need to free up money to re-sign Jefferson.

To Charlotte (Deal Stephenson, #9)
-2015 Miami 1st round pick (#16)
-2015 Detroit 2nd round pick (#38)
-2015 Pelicans 2nd round pick (#43)

To Detroit (Deal Jennings, #38)
-2015 Warriors 2nd round pick (#60)

To Philly (Deal #16, #43, #60)
-2015 Charlotte 1st round pick (#9)
-Brandon Jennings
-Lance Stephenson
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#25 » by DocRI » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:I think Detroit and Charlotte are good candidates for Philly to trade up with the Miami pick. Why not both Jennings and Stephenson?. Detroit needs to free up room to re-sign Jackson and Monroe. Bobcats need to free up money to re-sign Jefferson.

To Charlotte (Deal Stephenson, #9)
-2015 Miami 1st round pick (#16)
-2015 Detroit 2nd round pick (#38)
-2015 Pelicans 2nd round pick (#43)

To Detroit (Deal Jennings, #38)
-2015 Warriors 2nd round pick (#60)

To Philly (Deal #16, #43, #60)
-2015 Charlotte 1st round pick (#9)
-Brandon Jennings
-Lance Stephenson

Per the highlighted sentence, no, they don't; DET holds Bird Rights on both Jackson and Monroe, meaning they could conceivably go as far over the cap as they want to re-sign both players. Just cut the Pistons out and have the Hornets send the Sixers some additional value for swallowing Stephenson.

Return to Trades and Transactions