Indy / Denver / Houston

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Indy / Denver / Houston 

Post#1 » by LarsV8 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:54 am

To Houston
Ty Lawson

To Indy
Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejunas

To Denver
Kostas Papanikolau (filler expiring contract)
Joey Dorsey (filler expiring contract)
I need 2-3m dollar filler player from Indy
2015 #11 (from Indy)
2015 #18 (from NO via Houston)

For Houston, they add a quality PG, which makes a lethal backcourt, in exchange for pieces which are not vital to their team. Lawson is also cheap enough, where they might be able to strike again in the big cap year of 2016.

For Indy, they have an aging David West at PF who may or may not pick up his player option. Terrence Jones (or Dmo) provides a nice young PF, who is still cheap on his rookie contract to reload around George. They may feel Jones (or Dmo) is a better player than anyone they can get at #11.

For Denver, they look to be in sell off mode, with reports of an asking price of 2 1st round picks for Lawson. This gets them there.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Re: Indy / Denver / Houston 

Post#2 » by iMoreland » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:28 am

I don't think Jones or Motiejunas are worth #11

Maybe Indy's 2016 1st since PG should be 100% by then. It'll most likely be in the late teens to mid twenties.

As a Nugget fan, that's an alright package for Ty, but I think a better deal will be offered.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:56 am

Nerlens No Ls wrote:I don't think Jones or Motiejunas are worth #11

Maybe Indy's 2016 1st since PG should be 100% by then. It'll most likely be in the late teens to mid twenties.

As a Nugget fan, that's an alright package for Ty, but I think a better deal will be offered.

That sums up my take perfectly.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:23 pm

LarsV8 wrote:To Houston
Ty Lawson

To Indy

To Denver
2015 #11 (from Indy)

For Houston, they add a quality PG, which makes a lethal backcourt, in exchange for pieces which are not vital to their team. Lawson is also cheap enough, where they might be able to strike again in the big cap year of 2016.

For Indy, they have an aging David West at PF who may or may not pick up his player option. Terrence Jones (or Dmo) provides a nice young PF, who is still cheap on his rookie contract to reload around George. They may feel Jones (or Dmo) is a better player than anyone they can get at #11.

For Denver, they look to be in sell off mode, with reports of an asking price of 2 1st round picks for Lawson. This gets them there.

Indy really doesn't have a 2-3m salary filler player.

Otherwise, I'd rather take a chance on one of the umpteen rookie PF's in this draft at #11-ish, and keep them under salary control for 4 years than trade it for Jones or D-Mo, both of which are entering the last year of their respective rookie deals.

It's an easy no for Indy. I think 11 and 18 is pretty ok value for Lawson, in a vacuum, too. I think they'd probably prefer to either get just one GOOD pick this year, instead, though.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#5 » by Golabki » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:42 pm

LarsV8 wrote:To Houston
Ty Lawson

To Indy

To Denver
2015 #11 (from Indy)

I think Lawson is a better fit in Indy and if Indy's giving up the biggest asset in a Lawson... I'd think they'd try to get him for themselves.
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#6 » by franktony » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Very simple

Jones or Motiejunas are not worth a lottery pick . HOU essentially uses Indy to pay Denver.

It's a fair value for Lawson, but Indy says no.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,882

Post#7 » by LarsV8 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Jones or Dmo are absolutely worth a lottery pick in this draft.

Both would be taken much higher (8-12) in their own respective re-drafts. Both would most likely be better than the 7th or 8th best players in this years drafts. Although admittedly, the two extra years of rookie scale deal is an advantage.

There is precedent here as well, from Indy no less:

The Pacers traded the 15th pick and a 2nd for George Hill in 2011. Both Jones and Dmo are better prospects than George Hill was, although the pick is better, they wouldn't have to toss in a 2nd round pick.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#8 » by jowglenn » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:39 pm

LarsV8 wrote:Jones or Dmo are absolutely worth a lottery pick in this draft.

Both would be taken much higher (8-12) in their own respective re-drafts. Both would most likely be better than the 7th or 8th best players in this years drafts. Although admittedly, the two extra years of rookie scale deal is an advantage.

The Pacers traded the 15th pick and a 2nd for George Hill in 2011. Both Jones and Dmo are better prospects than George Hill was, although the pick is better, they wouldn't have to toss in a 2nd round pick.

Nah.

Too strong of a draft here. There will be a solid guy at 11.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#9 » by youngthegiant » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:04 am

I like the concept, not sure Indy is the best team, but I could see Oklahoma taking a shot at motiejunas as insurance for Kanter. 14 +18 is pretty good value, but I'd still push hard for Sac or a deal with the Jazz.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:44 am

LarsV8 wrote:Jones or Dmo are absolutely worth a lottery pick in this draft.

3 extra ears of rookie salary control, and no. George Hill was the more proven prospect, and at a position we hadn't been able to fill since Mark Jackson in the early to mid 90's. So....big difference. Also, George Hill didn't have legal troubles of beating homeless guys (Jones, right?), and he was a local kid.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#11 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:48 pm

LarsV8 wrote:The Pacers traded the 15th pick and a 2nd for George Hill in 2011. Both Jones and Dmo are better prospects than George Hill was, although the pick is better, they wouldn't have to toss in a 2nd round pick.

TBH it was something of an overpay, but our FO really liked George Hill who they saw as a perfect fit.

Jones and Motie... I dunno. If some other GM was in love with either, then maybe you can get a return like that, I suppose.
x-
Analyst
And1: 133

Post#12 » by x- » Sun May 10, 2015 10:20 am

I wouldn't trade Motiejunas for #11.

Terrence Jones, I would, though I'm not certain there's a team that would do that.

Anyway, I'm not quite as hot for Lawson as LarsV8, so I don't mind Nuggets/Pacers fans not wanting to do this even with D-Mo instead of Jones.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#13 » by Boneman2 » Sun May 10, 2015 6:38 pm

Indy will have ample cap-space to bid on either Jones or Mo if and when they're available in free agency. I don't mind the wait if it means Larry can preserve additional assets.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne

Return to Trades and Transactions