Blake for Durant

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Blake for Durant 

Post#1 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 19, 2015 8:44 am

So this is a move that could make some sense for all parties. It wont happen, but still.

Clippers get: Kevin Durant
Why? They get a top 5 player that will really help balance their offense with his floor spacing and scoring. The overlap between Blake and DeAndre disappear instantly. As much as they like Blake, i think this is the type of move they'd have to do.

OKC get: Blake Griffin
Why? This deal should only be on the table if they believe that Durant might actually leave as a free agent. In that case, i dont think they can do much better than Blake, who have really shown that he's among the very best during these playoffs and he's born in OKC too. The big 3 of Blake-Westbrook-Ibaka would be more than a handfull for anyone.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Re: Blake for Durant 

Post#2 » by Dupp » Tue May 19, 2015 10:07 am

Watching Durant play with Cp3 would be an instant orgasm.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#3 » by Village Idiot » Tue May 19, 2015 10:23 am

If OKC fears losing Durant for nothing then this is a very good deal for them. The Clippers would have to be pretty darned sure that Durant is in for the long haul though or they take a huge risk.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,037

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 am

I wouldn't trade Blake Griffin for Kevin Durant. Locked up longer, healthier,and I'm no longer sure Durant is the better player.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#5 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am

Laimbeer wrote:I wouldn't trade Blake Griffin for Kevin Durant. Locked up longer, healthier, and I'm no longer sure Durant is the better player.

I would in a heartbeat. Curry and Harden led the MVP voting this season, but in my opinion Durant, Lebron and Anthony Davis are on a different level than everyone else, including Griffin.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#6 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 19, 2015 11:28 am

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I wouldn't trade Blake Griffin for Kevin Durant. Locked up longer, healthier, and I'm no longer sure Durant is the better player.

I would in a heartbeat. Curry and Harden led the MVP voting this season, but in my opinion Durant, Lebron and Anthony Davis are on a different level than everyone else, including Griffin.

On an expiring deal and an injury issue? On second glance, I'll backtrack. A healthy Durant is a better player. But other factors change the equation.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,034

Post#7 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 am

Obviously a healthy Durant is a better player. This always happens when someone gets hurt and isn't visible. Go back and watch some tape. Healthy KD might be the best.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#8 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 19, 2015 11:38 am

Laimbeer wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

On an expiring deal and an injury issue? On second glance, I'll backtrack. A healthy Durant is a better player. But other factors change the equation.

I'm not sure if Durant suddently is injury prone and quite honestly sometimes you have to gamble a little bit. Of course the Clips would need confirmation that Durant would want to stick around, but at the same time they have to face the fact that their clock is running out. With a 30 year old CP3 their window is now and unless they manage to really upgrade their bench this year (in addition to bringing back DJ) i think they'll have a hard time coming out of the west.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#9 » by bondom34 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Yeah, this isn't really close.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Post#10 » by DreDay » Tue May 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Clippers would just be a worse Thunder.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,636

Post#11 » by machu46 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:43 pm

It makes a ton of sense if in fact OKC didn't want to deal with the impending Durant sweepstakes, but I can't imagine this will ever come close to happening.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Post#12 » by Smitty731 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:54 pm

First, this has been thrown out by a ton of journalist over the past year. Zach Lowe and Ramona Shelburne even talked it on his most recent podcast, which is where I am sure this is coming from.

If the Thunder knew Durant was leaving and the Clippers knew they could lock him up, I would do it. Otherwise the Thunder would be looking at getting a bunch of quarters or watching Durant walk for nothing.

And, for the Clippers, if you can get one of the best players in the world, you do it. Especially if he proves healthy and ready to go.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#13 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Smitty731 wrote:First, this has been thrown out by a ton of journalist over the past year. Zach Lowe and Ramona Shelburne even talked it on his most recent podcast, which is where I am sure this is coming from.

If the Thunder knew Durant was leaving and the Clippers knew they could lock him up, I would do it. Otherwise the Thunder would be looking at getting a bunch of quarters or watching Durant walk for nothing.

And, for the Clippers, if you can get one of the best players in the world, you do it. Especially if he proves healthy and ready to go.

Yes this trade has been talk show tease and net click bait for some time. It does however make SOME sense. Mainly Griffin with his OKC ties, KD leaving OKC worries (assuming he will re-sign for Clippers), and now both teams could use a jolt to the mechanism.

Problem is trade is incomplete, more for OKC. OKC would need to have a follow up trade with Ibaka too, and Kanter isn't a good fit next to Blake (he needs a Jordan rim protector).
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#14 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 19, 2015 1:30 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:First, this has been thrown out by a ton of journalist over the past year. Zach Lowe and Ramona Shelburne even talked it on his most recent podcast, which is where I am sure this is coming from.

Yes this trade has been talk show tease and net click bait for some time. It does however make SOME sense. Mainly Griffin with his OKC ties, KD leaving OKC worries (assuming he will re-sign for Clippers), and now both teams could use a jolt to the mechanism.

Problem is trade is incomplete, more for OKC. OKC would need to have a follow up trade with Ibaka too, and Kanter isn't a good fit next to Blake (he needs a Jordan rim protector).

Why would they need to trade Ibaka? I can see him and Blake playing together. However, they do have a glut of big men so I'd envision one or more going in a follow up deal.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,638

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 19, 2015 1:37 pm

Blake Griffin is a better player than I ever thought he'd be. He's been really good for 2 years running now.

I'm still never trading Kevin Durant for him. I'm all-in on KD and if he walks, he walks, but I'm not trading him. Anthony Davis is still the only player that could get me to deal him and the Pelicans aren't doing that so forget it.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#16 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 pm

yenrallik11 wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

Agreed, think this a swap that would help both teams. I would try to make it a bigger deal by moving ilbaka too (probably a third team involved). Maybe OKC getting a proper center next to blake or possibly an improvement on the wing if they like adams/kanter. I would also be open to running with a blake ilbaka combo. Neither a true center but really talented athletic and active. Would be fun to watch. Love to see durant/paul/DJ.

O and on a sidenote: agreed on the real MVPs of the league. I see durant as the third of the 3 you mentioned. Harden has to be right there with KD

I certainly put Curry there as well. I still think Durant got something of a narrative-driven MVP push against LeBron. LeBron is clearly a better player, but there is some LeBron hate out there and the media likes a close race. I don't believe a healthy Durant will really separate himself from Harden or Curry next season.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#17 » by bondom34 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
yenrallik11 wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:

Agreed, think this a swap that would help both teams. I would try to make it a bigger deal by moving ilbaka too (probably a third team involved). Maybe OKC getting a proper center next to blake or possibly an improvement on the wing if they like adams/kanter. I would also be open to running with a blake ilbaka combo. Neither a true center but really talented athletic and active. Would be fun to watch. Love to see durant/paul/DJ.

O and on a sidenote: agreed on the real MVPs of the league. I see durant as the third of the 3 you mentioned. Harden has to be right there with KD

I certainly put Curry there as well. I still think Durant got something of a narrative-driven MVP push against LeBron. LeBron is clearly a better player, but there is some LeBron hate out there and the media likes a close race. I don't believe a healthy Durant will really separate himself from Harden or Curry next season.

If Durant had an MVP case that was narrative driven against Lebron, then Curry definitely did.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,638

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I certainly put Curry there as well. I still think Durant got something of a narrative-driven MVP push against LeBron. LeBron is clearly a better player, but there is some LeBron hate out there and the media likes a close race. I don't believe a healthy Durant will really separate himself from Harden or Curry next season.

Uh you might want to go back and look at the year Durant had last year. That was an absolutely spectacular season.

I don't deny that there is some anti-Lebron narrative going on. He should have Derrick Rose's MVP for example, but Kevin Durant was absolutely 100% a worthy MVP on his own merits last year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#19 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:

I've head this deal mentioned earlier in the season as well, but the reason why i think it's suddently relevant is because:
1. Clippers lost in the second round - again - and some are concerned if they have what it takes to go all the way.
2. Based on Blake's solid regular season performance the Thunder wouldn't never even consider a deal like this, but considering how well he played in the postseason, this isn't as big a drop in talent as you'd expect when you move a guy like Durant.

From the Thunder's point of view, i think the only thing they cant do is to allow him to walk for nothing. That would result in Westbrook and Ibaka doing the same the following year, which would be a complete disaster. Ideally, they keep their core intact, but if they have any doubt regarding Durant they would have to consider it.

Regarding Ibaka, i think they would be fine going with him and blake at the 4 and 5.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 19, 2015 2:20 pm

duplicate

Return to Trades and Transactions