Knicks/Bulls

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Knicks/Bulls 

Post#1 » by KnicksManiac » Tue May 26, 2015 9:07 pm

I mentioned this trade on the Knicks and Bulls board. Interestingly enough, Bulls fans were pretty split on it (it seemed like most were down to do it) whereas Knicks fans were almost unanimously against it:

Knicks Trade: #4 and Jose Calderon
Bulls Trade: Derrick Rose, Pau Gasol, #22

For the Knicks, this would be the "GO FOR IT" move. Rose has a large contract (2 years, $41 million) and bad knees but he's still only 26 years old. The Knicks also add Pau Gasol -- Even though he's up there in age (turning 35 in a couple of months), he's coming off a great year where he played in 78 games, averaged 18 and 12, and was named to the 2nd Team All NBA. There should also still be some good prospects around with the 22nd pick. Also, maybe Marc would take a discounted deal to join his brother in NYC :thumbsup: ? The Knicks obviously don't have their draft pick in 2016 so we cannot afford to be bad again.

For the Bulls, this is their "REBUILD AND CLEAR CAP NOW" move. They shed about $20 million off their cap and rebuild around the #4 pick and Jimmy Butler. They realize their current core isn't good enough to win it all so they clean house with a move like this. They would have a ton of cap room after next season.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Re: Knicks/Bulls 

Post#2 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm

I don't like it for the Bulls, but I can see the argument. I imagine this is going to be pretty polarizing.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,125

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Bulls should take that and run. Draft whichever PG is left over and build around Butler and the pick. The Knicks would have a bad team defensively. Bad enough that, Marc Gasol, by himself wouldn't be able to fix it.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#4 » by LApwnd » Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 pm

this is Isiah type move, so fits the bill for Knicks to suck and not have much of a future to boot. Chi should take this and run, can draft a Pg in Mudiay to replace Rose who I don't forsee ever recovering back to his former MVP self, the cap space can get them another top end talent and they can just use Jose as a stop gap PG to tutor Mudiay till he's ready.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#5 » by LApwnd » Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Bulls should take that and run. Draft whichever PG is left over and build around Butler and the pick. The Knicks would have a bad team defensively. Bad enough that, Marc Gasol, by himself wouldn't be able to fix it.

Marc would have to take a paycut, after this trade I don't know all the other side stuff but just figuring difference in salary between Jose vs. Pau/Rose NYK total cap is roughly 52 mill, even with cap rising to 67mill, Marc would have to really love his Bro to consider that move.
KnicksManiac
RealGM

Post#6 » by KnicksManiac » Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I don't like it for the Bulls, but I can see the argument. I imagine this is going to be pretty polarizing.

I agree. And it would never happen. Interesting to think about though.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,125

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:32 pm

LApwnd wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Bulls should take that and run. Draft whichever PG is left over and build around Butler and the pick. The Knicks would have a bad team defensively. Bad enough that, Marc Gasol, by himself wouldn't be able to fix it.

Marc would have to take a paycut, after this trade I don't know all the other side stuff but just figuring difference in salary between Jose vs. Pau/Rose NYK total cap is roughly 52 mill, even with cap rising to 67mill, Marc would have to really love his Bro to consider that move.

He could take a a deal with a PO in the second year when the cap goes up. The problem is that they would be really bad on defense and I think he might not re-sign with them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#8 » by LApwnd » Tue May 26, 2015 9:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

He could take a a deal with a PO in the second year when the cap goes up. The problem is that they would be really bad on defense and I think he might not re-sign with them.

Marc is 30 or gona turn 30 I don't know but either way you don't take that kind of risk, NBA is a business if something happens like an injury that could cause him to decline quickly or hinder his abilities do you think NYK will still pay up? Cause I don't.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,358

Post#9 » by pipfan » Tue May 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Bulls build around Mudiay, Butler, Niko, Dougie, Snell

I say the Bulls keep the #22 and take any other salary NY might want to dump for Marc

Bulls would have
Jose/Mudiay
Butler/Snell
?/Doug
Niko/Taj
Noah/Taj

And fill in with the #22-they would have to think Mudiay is worth it. Rose has a more than 50-50 chance he is back to at least Jeff Teague level next year-All Star.
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#10 » by aramada » Tue May 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Value is decent but hard to see Bulls ship Rose to the Knicks
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#11 » by SuperflyKnick » Wed May 27, 2015 3:08 am

pipfan wrote:Bulls build around Mudiay, Butler, Niko, Dougie, Snell

I say the Bulls keep the #22 and take any other salary NY might want to dump for Marc

Bulls would have
Jose/Mudiay
Butler/Snell
?/Doug
Niko/Taj
Noah/Taj

And fill in with the #22-they would have to think Mudiay is worth it. Rose has a more than 50-50 chance he is back to at least Jeff Teague level next year-All Star.

Yeah keep 22 and then why not ask NY for their next 5 first rd pks while extending rose 10 yrs 200 million before the trade ... Then it would be fair
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#12 » by SuperflyKnick » Wed May 27, 2015 3:10 am

pipfan wrote:Bulls build around Mudiay, Butler, Niko, Dougie, Snell

Bulls would have
Jose/Mudiay
Butler/Snell
?/Doug
Niko/Taj
Noah/Taj

Being a knicks fan and dealing with amare stoudAmire who has pLyed more gms then rose last 3yrs ... Hahahahahaha yeah ok ...... Ohhh and u want the 4th pk also .... To dam funny
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#13 » by HornetJail » Wed May 27, 2015 3:15 am

This is polarizing? Holy crap this is horrendous for the Knicks. 22 and Gasol is probably barely enough incentive to take on Rose's contract, but the Knicks are giving up their top 5 pick? I don't see any way this is a good deal. Just keep the pick and use that $15M+ cap space on a free agent that you know will play more than half a season. If Marc Gasol would follow Pau and come to New York, there are other much better ways to pursue Pau than taking on Rose's albatross contract.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
KnicksManiac
RealGM

Post#14 » by KnicksManiac » Wed May 27, 2015 1:53 pm

I think it's worth the risk for the Knicks.

If you don't think the Knicks are getting enough, what could the Bulls add? Snell? McDermott?
Jwduff
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Knicks/Bulls 

Post#15 » by Jwduff » Wed May 27, 2015 1:57 pm

This is awful for Knicks. They take on big money with low upside instead of getting a player of the future on a cheap contract.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#16 » by jowglenn » Wed May 27, 2015 2:20 pm

That's about the best the Knicks could hope to do with the #4 pick. They sign as many random one-year type deals as they can (Carlos Boozer! Jason Smith! CJ Watson!) re-sign Bargnani to a cheap cheap deal and see if they can take Stephenson off the Hornets' hands for nothing. There's gotta be a way. Rose/Lance/Carmelo/Bargs/Gasol with uh Galloway and uh Hardaway and uh some bench I assume somewhere. Might as well.

Nah it's tying up way too much cap space. Much better is to use the #4 pick, and then use the cap space for new free agents. The Knicks WILL give someone a LOT of money this offseason. And some secondary free agents. But they gotta load it up just right so that in 2016 when the cap jumps they'll have precisely ONE max slot to offer to one of the biggest free agents.

Return to Trades and Transactions