Draft Day Winners and Losers?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Draft Day Winners and Losers? 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:49 am

Well, that time again, who won the night?

For me, loved Minnesota's draft and think Jones and KAT were two great prospects (wouldn't have minded Jones at 14 even). Also Miami got a big steal, and Denver had Mudiay fall in their lap. Personally happy w/ OKC, but wouldn't put them top 5 or so. Also love Anderson for Dallas.

Losers to me, I don't like Boston's picks of more meh guards, and still no bigs. Also don't know about Johnson at 8 for DET or Kaminsky at 9.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Re: Draft Day Winners and Losers? 

Post#2 » by iMoreland » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:50 am

Loser - 76ers, Kings

Winner - Nuggets, Timberwolves
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#3 » by LApwnd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:52 am

Nerlens No Ls wrote:Loser - 76ers

Winner - Nuggets

And you guys thought we were bluffing lol but dont see how getting the player like ok4 equals losing
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#4 » by youngthegiant » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:55 am

I think Denver got a steal in Mudiay. Miami stole Winslow.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#5 » by Foshan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:57 am

I would say, from a Philly fan, that the draft was disappointing, but that does not equal losing. Heck Okafor could have a better career than KAT. Philly is still a long ways off, and is looking at 4 1sts next year with potentially 3 franchise caliber big men on the roster.

Not a loss, but not as good as 'dreamed' :)
Jack_Tretton
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#6 » by Jack_Tretton » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:57 am

LApwnd wrote:

Winner - Nuggets

And you guys thought we were bluffing lol but dont see how getting the player like ok4 equals losing

Meh. Value wise the 76ers didn't lose. We just expected a PG or a wing. I also hate that we had to take a C prospect inferior to Embiid. I wasn't a Russell guy, but I'd give up small assets to swap our picks now.
Jack_Tretton
Sophomore

Post#7 » by Jack_Tretton » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:59 am

I think the Hornets are losers. That Jordan pick... Lol
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#8 » by LApwnd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:00 am

Foshan wrote:I would say, from a Philly fan, that the draft was disappointing, but that does not equal losing. Heck Okafor could have a better career than KAT. Philly is still a long ways off, and is looking at 4 1sts next year with potentially 3 franchise caliber big men on the roster.

Not a loss, but not as good as 'dreamed' :)

While the thought of having 3 big men prospects sounds great on paper they will get in each other's development and someone will eventually want out just like Utah did with kanter/favor once gorbert emerged
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#9 » by loserX » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:00 am

Winners
Obviously the Wolves got the consensus best player at #1, so it's kind of trivial, but it's still a win!

Miami also a winner. Got a slight steal, and he's a guy ready to contribute now to a team with dreams of contention, at the position they needed most (I'm assuming Dragic re-signs). Couldn't have worked out much better for them.

Toronto a winner, with that Vasquez pick and I like the Wright pick for them too.

Losers
Boston a loser, mostly. Not sure why they insisted on collecting so many guards, and Rozier at #16 was probably my least favourite pick of the night.

Milwaukee also a loser for that head-scratcher trade, and although I like Vaughn I think he was a reach at #17.

New Orleans a minor loser. They need to fill out that roster, and apparently sold the only pick they had (#56 to the Clippers). They should have been trying to get into the draft, not out of it.

I should probably review my own team

My Jazz aren't in either category, but I'm giving them a tentative B-. Lyles was fine value (most mocks had him going around that range anyway) but I'm not convinced he's the best fit. We shall see if he has the mid-range game he needs to play with Favors and Gobert.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,441

Post#10 » by Slava » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:01 am

Atlanta trading the 16th for Tim Hardaway Jr and 2 2nds is the biggest WTF of the night.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#11 » by LApwnd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:03 am

Jack_Tretton wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Winner - Nuggets

Meh. Value wise the 76ers didn't lose. We just expected a PG or a wing. I also hate that we had to take a C prospect inferior to Embiid. I wasn't a Russell guy, but I'd give up small assets to swap our picks now.

I was still hoping for trade down too once dlo name got called but from what mitch is saying this was our guy with Scott pg oriented offense
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#12 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:09 am

I really didn't like the Sixers draft night... but I also didn't want Russell (which was why I was trading him weekly).

But Philly's rest of their draft after #3 didn't impress me, and it is the first time I have said that under Hinkie.

Still the Atalanta and Milwaukee trades are the worst. And Sac...

Best?

Minnesota
Denver
Knicks.

Knicks killed it.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#13 » by damecurry » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:09 am

Jack_Tretton wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Winner - Nuggets

I think if the season starts with okafor still on the team than yeah, maybe it was a loss. But I think there's a very good chance you'll be able to get a very good point guard for okafor. I think it's a win for the sixers cause you got somebody that was projected as #1 until a month or two ago at #3, just like last year. That's a win.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,521

Post#14 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:14 am

damecurry wrote:
Jack_Tretton wrote:
LApwnd wrote:And you guys thought we were bluffing lol but dont see how getting the player like ok4 equals losing

I think if the season starts with okafor still on the team than yeah, maybe it was a loss. But I think there's a very good chance you'll be able to get a very good point guard for okafor. I think it's a win for the sixers cause you got somebody that was projected as #1 until a month or two ago at #3, just like last year. That's a win.

I think the bigger worry is does this mean Embiid's foot fell off entirely.
And did Russell to LAL mean LMA is happening and that pick is getting devalued. (If not, I think I might have the Lakers on my loser list. Going to be fascinated to see Russell in summer league, I'm not a general fan of the ESPN analytics but I totally agree that he has big boom and very big bust potential.)
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#15 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 am

I actually didn't like NY because of KP, just don't love the prospect. My least favorite waas Boston who seems to be a worse Phoenix with all the guards.

Oh and apparently Lawson thinks he is headed to the Kings too.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#16 » by LApwnd » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 am

bondom34 wrote:Well, that time again, who won the night?

For me, loved Minnesota's draft and think Jones and KAT were two great prospects (wouldn't have minded Jones at 14 even). Also Miami got a big steal, and Denver had Mudiay fall in their lap. Personally happy w/ OKC, but wouldn't put them top 5 or so. Also love Anderson for Dallas.

Losers to me, I don't like Boston's picks of more meh guards, and still no bigs. Also don't know about Johnson at 8 for DET or Kaminsky at 9.

i like cha pick...i thought they were that stretch big away from being a complete team and frank being as polished as he is could give them production right away, mkg/batum can keep the perimiter in check so frank/al dont have to be dominant paint protectors
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,819

Post#17 » by Domejandro » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:I really didn't like the Sixers draft night... but I also didn't want Russell (which was why I was trading him weekly).

But Philly's rest of their draft after #3 didn't impress me, and it is the first time I have said that under Hinkie.

Still the Atalanta and Milwaukee trades are the worst. And Sac...

Best?

Minnesota
Denver
Knicks.

Knicks killed it.

I think you guys are getting an absolute star in Jahlil Okafor, he does not get enough credit, but he is a phenomenal player. He fell into the classic "nit-pick to death" zone of fans and in my opinion, most of it was unwarranted.

For all the second rounders, it seems clear that you all had a vision in place for drafting all of the European players and hoping one of them works out, which I believe is a pretty solid idea given that you all had 754 second round Draft picks. I am also on record for saying that I believe J.P. Tokoto will carve out a career in the NBA.

Edit: I forgot whilst typing this that you guys traded away Guillermo Hernangomez for two second round picks. I love him as a player and I have cheered him on big time as a Euro-League fan, but am unsure if he will be able to thrive in the NBA. Nonetheless, I believe that was a really foolish decision by Sam Hinkie.

The New York Knicks blew away the competition this year, they were phenomenal.
Jack_Tretton
Sophomore

Post#18 » by Jack_Tretton » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:15 am

damecurry wrote:
Jack_Tretton wrote:
LApwnd wrote:And you guys thought we were bluffing lol but dont see how getting the player like ok4 equals losing

I doubt Okafor is traded anytime soon. Hinkie will make the move when it's time to choose between Embiid and Okafor, IMO, and that won't be this offseason, or maybe for another year or two. I just don't think this is the way to build positive momentum for the franchise. The local press will speculate the crap out of the situation, possibly creating negative tension.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,962

Post#19 » by wolves_89 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:21 am

Winners:
Wolves - Going into the night Towns and Jones was the dream draft for Minnesota fans
Heat - Got the steal of the draft in Winslow

Losers:
Hornets - Kaminsky a reach
Hawks - The two trades that resulted in Hardaway for #15 were terrible
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#20 » by damecurry » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:22 am

youngthegiant wrote:I think Denver got a steal in Mudiay. Miami stole Winslow.

agreed.

Knicks won if not with porzingis than definitely with grant/thj trade. And I think Kristaps at 4 is a win, rather have him than herzonja or WCS by a mile.
Hawks clearly lost, thj instead of oubre? crazy. Kings lost to me, more fuel to the cousins fire and definitely a reach, WCS isn't the rebounder one needs to be a top-notch defensive anchor, and no offensive skills at all. Everyone 20-29 lost by letting looney fall to GSW, which I'm thrilled about. Celtics lost for reasons others stated.

Return to Trades and Transactions