Let's try this again: LAL/SAC/ORL 3 way Cousins deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Apparently the Lakers would still trade Russell for Cousins according to reports

Now that we know the drafted players, coincidentally or not all the picks would work out well for the previously rumoured deal:

Orlando trades:
Nik Vucevic

Orlando gets:
Willie Cauley-Stein
Jordan Clarkson

Why for Orlando? Cauley-Stein fits the coach and rest of the roster more than Vucevic. This allows the Magic to play faster and build towards being a potentially monster defensive team. Clarkson gives them talent at PG to help back up Payton. They also clear salary to help them in free agency.

LA trades:
D'Angelo Russell
Julius Randle
Jordan Clarkson

LA gets:
DeMarcus Cousins
Carl Landry

Why for L.A.? They go all in for DeMarcus Cousins. This puts the Lakers back on the map and in upcoming years makes them a free agent destination. By having Cousins when a player like Russell Westbrook becomes a free agent they can sell to him that joining the Lakers would make them a contender.

Sacramento trades:
DeMarcus Cousins
Willie Cauley-Stein
Carl Landry

Sacramento gets:
Nik Vucevic
D'Angelo Russell
Julius Randle

Why for Sacramento? There is effectively two trades going on here. One is that they take the offer of Russell, Randle and Clarkson from the Lakers which allows them to restart with a young talented team. Second is that they fill Vivek or Vlade's desire for win now production by moving Clarkson and Cauley-Stein for Vucevic. Now they have a combination of young players in Russell, Randle, McLemore, Stauskas and veterans that help them win in Collison, Gay, Vucevic.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Let's try this again: LAL/SAC/ORL 3 way Cousins deal 

Post#2 » by LApwnd » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:02 pm

What reports? Last i read lakers have moved on from cousins and the package wasnt offered for cousins before and apparently that pkg wasnt enough for sac either...nothing has changed
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#3 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Not a chance. I'd much rather have WCS over Vucevic, in this we add Clarkson to that basically? I in no way want to trade cousins, much rather fire Karl. If it did come down to that I'd much rather just cut Orlando out completely.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#5 » by LApwnd » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Doesn't say we were including randle...it said IF kings could get randle in addition to Russell. Randle is still not included and a certain extent neither is clarkson. #2 was always available but mitch like Russell enough to move on now
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#6 » by Karmaloop » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:09 pm

This is the exact package the Lakers have zero interest in. They're not giving up every asset they have AND taking on a bad contract just to get DeMarcus Cousins. This deal takes the Lakers out of being a significant players this year in FA, and essentially relies on Durant having a man crush on Cousins to get him to sign here. I'd rather sign DeAndre Jordan or LMA to max deals before I'd make a move for Cousins.
lakerhater
General Manager
And1: 1,887

Post#7 » by lakerhater » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Magic steal value here. Vucevic isn't worth the 6th pick plus one of the better players in last season's draft. Kings would definitely need more to deal DMC and WCS.
RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Post#8 » by RealityIsDemar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:34 pm

All the Cousins trade threads are very late, I doubt he's traded.
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#9 » by microfib4thewin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:38 pm

Karmaloop wrote:This is the exact package the Lakers have zero interest in. They're not giving up every asset they have AND taking on a bad contract just to get DeMarcus Cousins. This deal takes the Lakers out of being a significant players this year in FA, and essentially relies on Durant having a man crush on Cousins to get him to sign here. I'd rather sign DeAndre Jordan or LMA to max deals before I'd make a move for Cousins.

1. It's naive to believe that star FAs are willing to sign for the Lakers just because they are the Lakers. If the Lakers don't try to improve the team first and their pitch to those FAs is "If you come here we will improve the team for you" then they will simply choose a better situation, and that's not very difficult when you are talking about the fourth worst team last year.

2. Even if a FA is willing to come here, how are you going to trade for another star when the majority of the space is taken up by the FA? If we do as you say and sign LMA for example then there won't be any more room left to trade for Cousins or any star player for that matter. What would our response to the FA be, wait one more year for Kobe's deal to expire?

I would rather the Lakers do a full rebuild instead of this half-ass reload, but if we can trade for Cousins we do it and I am not even a Cousins fan. The team needs to be better before FAs would think about coming here. The Lakers are not entitled to anything.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,126

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:46 pm

There is zero reason for the Magic to be in this trade. If the Kings trade Cousins, it's because the owner wants to increase pace. Frankly, Vuc's trade value isn't all that good. If the Kings were going to acquire him, they would have to retain WCS to play next to him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#11 » by Merc_Porto » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Maybe i'm the only one.
But i really like this trade for everybody.
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#12 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:43 pm

mercgold3 wrote:Maybe i'm the only one.
But i really like this trade for everybody.
must be in Orlando Magic fan then
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,477

Post#13 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Awful for the kings. If you argue that cousins and a bad contract is worth Russell and randle, then how the hell is Vucevic worth the 5th pick plus an extra prospect?
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#14 » by NashtyNas » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:59 pm

LA isn't giving up Russell for Cousins at this point, and Cousins isn't being moved for anything less than a superstar... so these discussions are all moot.

Value wise though, this isn't close.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:28 pm

lakerhater wrote:Magic steal value here. Vucevic isn't worth the 6th pick plus one of the better players in last season's draft. Kings would definitely need more to deal DMC and WCS.

yeah, a Magic fan here believes we would need to add a little bit more into this.
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 103

Post#16 » by otownflava21 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:07 am

As a magic fan i feel WCS will not be better than Vucevic in points/rebounds when they're careers are all said and done.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 302

Post#17 » by A BETTER DJ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:39 am

I agree with Otown. Vuc has no foot issues and is a double double machine. He's had A 37 & 17 game and several over 20 & 15. Adding a defensive PF will give us a very slid front court. No to WCS please, we could have drafted him if we wanted him.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#18 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:42 am

The Lakers aren't stupid, they know how this game works. You stock cheap talent (Russell, Randle, Clarkson), you let them play to see what you have got (2015/16), let the expensive contracts expire (Bryant), and go into 2016 with 3 young cheap talented players and room to add 2-3 high end free agents that compliment well. The growth of Russell and Randle will likely dictate how difficult attracting free agents will be.

Trading for Cousins this year doesn't do anything to improve the process. His value isn't going up from being "top you center in the league" and the Lakers aren't in a position to do anything but turn into Sacramento South (Fresno?) with the lower cap and Bryant hanging around their neck. They will stick to their plans and play their hand when ready.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#19 » by uraverage » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:19 pm

A BETTER DJ wrote:I agree with Otown. Vuc has no foot issues and is a double double machine. He's had A 37 & 17 game and several over 20 & 15. Adding a defensive PF will give us a very slid front court. No to WCS please, we could have drafted him if we wanted him.

This!!!
I love how Orlando is stealing value. If WCS is better then why are we even in this trade?
King Baller
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#20 » by King Baller » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:59 pm

I'm not sure why the Kings would want to trade either Cousins or Stein??? Vlade Divac is running Basketball Operations for the Kings and has stated repeatedly he will not trade Cousins. The Kings have needed a player just like WCS for years to play ALONGSIDE Cousins.

Once again the three Sacramento trade rules:
1) Never trade the best player.
2) Never trade Big for Small.
3) Never trade with the Lakers.
4) Never trade an All Star Center for unproven Rookies. (I just added number 4)

:)
"I don't want to hear what he can't do. Tell me what the player can do to help us." Bill Walsh

Return to Trades and Transactions