Knicks | Cavs

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Knicks | Cavs 

Post#1 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:16 pm

I am sure this one has been discissed before, just in case...

Knicks Trade Melo and Calderon to Cavs for Love (s&t) and Haywood Contract.

A third team could be in play with Love choosing his destination (Lakers) but let's keep this simple.

Knicks and Phil convince Love he will be the pillar, 1st banana to build around. Signing him a defensive rim protector (Jordan, Gasol, Chandler) is priority #1. And who better for Porzinigis to mentor than the leagues best stretch 4, less of course he becomes trade bait for a win-now player.

Melo and LBJ on Cavs. Melo becomes the ultimate scoring and work load relief LBJ needs.
C: Mozgov/AV/Vet like Perkins
F: LBJ/TT/AV
F: Melo/LBJ/MM
G: Shumpert/Smith (not sure needed with Calderon)/Del/MM
G: Irving/Calderon/Del
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Re: Knicks | Cavs 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:18 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:I am sure this one has been discissed before, just in case...

A third team could be in play with Love choosing his destination (Lakers) but let's keep this simple.

Knicks and Phil convince Love he will be the pillar, 1st banana to build around. Signing him a defensive rim protector (Jordan, Gasol, Chandler) is priority #1. And who better for Porzinigis to mentor than the leagues best stretch 4, less of course he becomes trade bait for a win-now player.

Melo and LBJ on Cavs. Melo becomes the ultimate scoring and work load relief LBJ needs.

If the theory is Love is willing to go to NYK, why would Love pick to do so as a S&T to a team without Melo? Much better to play with Melo.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#3 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:23 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I am sure this one has been discissed before, just in case...

If the theory is Love is willing to go to NYK, why would Love pick to do so as a S&T to a team without Melo? Much better to play with Melo.

I could see that theory. Not wrong. But also part of NY appeal is Love not being Robin to incumbent main stay Alpha dog. And with this trade, Knicks have open check book to build around Love. Fairly appealing to player like Love who just went through what he did (if his ego/pride and the pairing with a Melo/LBJ type player was as crash and burn as Media portrays).
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#4 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:28 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

I could see that theory. Not wrong. But also part of NY appeal is Love not being Robin to incumbent main stay Alpha dog. And with this trade, Knicks have open check book to build around Love. Fairly appealing to player like Love who just went through what he did (if his ego/pride and the pairing with a Melo/LBJ type player was as crash and burn as Media portrays).

And really this trade could happen post Knicks signing some of Love's support cast. Say Knicks sign Jordan. And with Melo rumblings, Cavs fear of losing Love, plus other variables proves enough to drive these 2 teams to trade table, Love can be traded after Knicks roster has something of substance for Love to join.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,066

Post#5 » by tidho » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:37 pm

Melo on the Cavaliers would be a disaster. That is not a man that will appreciate those nights he only gets six shots.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#6 » by bondom34 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Except I don't think the Cavs fear losing him at all, and would likely have less use for Melo.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,135

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Cavs aren't trading Love for Melo. Love isn't agreeing to go to NY. The Cavs can't take back this much salary.

But even if LBJ demanded this trade, Phil Jackson snake-oiled Love into coming to NY, and the Knicks took back AV to make the salaries work, Griffin is smart enough to insist on Priz being added added to the deal. Let's be honest Calderon plus Melo as a package isn't that valuable. The Knicks are offering older/declining players on expensive long-term deals. The Cavs are offering a 26-year old all star and $10 million in cap relief. The value in the OP is horrible for the Cavs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#8 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Cavs aren't trading Love for Melo. Love isn't agreeing to go to NY. The Cavs can't take back this much salary.

But even if LBJ demanded this trade, Phil Jackson snake-oiled Love into coming to NY, and the Knicks took back AV to make the salaries work, Griffin is smart enough to insist on Priz being added added to the deal. Let's be honest Calderon plus Melo as a package isn't that valuable. The Knicks are offering older/declining players on expensive long-term deals. The Cavs are offering a 26-year old all star and $10 million in cap relief. The value in the OP is horrible for the Cavs.

First of all, outgoing value is 10.5+Love re-sign, which is about 16 almost 17 right? So 27 for just around/under 30...seems that works to me. Now if you are saying Cavs don't desire so much salary, different argument.

Melo for Love is great value. If Love is traded, it is because Cavs fear he will walk either this offseason or next. Melo is locked in and perfect workload relief LBJ is looking for. Can Melo take on a duo role, not sure? But at his age and stage, maybe. Bosh and Wade sure did so when many thought it wouldn't work.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM

Post#9 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Cavs aren't trading Love for Melo. Love isn't agreeing to go to NY. The Cavs can't take back this much salary.

I think a thread could be started, Calderon vs. Smith. If this trade happened, how much more does Calderon deliver Cavs vs. what Smith did/does! Price will be about equal, Calderon little more I guess. But Calderon does deliver PG duties as instant offense and shooting off bench...and Cavs are in need of backup vet PG.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,135

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:56 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:

First of all, outgoing value is 10.5+Love re-sign, which is about 16 almost 17 right? So 27 for just around/under 30...seems that works to me. Now if you are saying Cavs don't desire so much salary, different argument.

Melo for Love is great value. If Love is traded, it is because Cavs fear he will walk either this offseason or next. Melo is locked in and perfect workload relief LBJ is looking for. Can Melo take on a duo role, not sure? But at his age and stage, maybe. Bosh and Wade sure did so when many thought it wouldn't work.

Melo has a trade kicker and is close to $23 million already. Calderon is over $7 million. The Cavs will be taking back significantly more than $30 million in salary. I'm not sure that amount would be less than 125% of Love and Haywood.

Melo for Love isn't great value because Melo and LBJ aren't a great fit. Cavs lose Love's rebounding and post play while gaining nothing on defense. If Love leaves it's because he doesn't want to be a third option. There's no way Melo would be okay with that.

Now add in Calderon - a guy whose defense is so bad we couldn't play him past the first round of the playoffs. Tying up the cap space on him is bad enough but that would be the equivalent of another max contract given where the Cavs are in the luxury tax. We'd have to attach a first round pick to move him as well. If you took out Calderon and just gave us Melo and a small TPE, I'd still pass. But it would at least be closer in value. The OP is non starter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#11 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:52 pm

This deal makes no sense. Cleveland gets older, while taking on a worse fitting piece in the process. Love goes to NY to repeat his Minnesota days/nightmares as the best player on a lottery team?
Well at least we're not Detroit!

Return to Trades and Transactions