Woj: Doc Rivers planning to talk to JaVale McGee about Clippers' center job

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,043

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:36 pm

Free-agent center JaVale McGee is a serious consideration for the Los Angeles Clippers, and plans to have a telephone conversation with president and coach Doc Rivers on Saturday, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--doc-rivers-planning-to-talk-to-javale-mcgee-about-clippers--center-job-190855262.html
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Re: Woj: Doc Rivers planning to talk to JaVale McGee about Clippers' center job 

Post#2 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:37 pm

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,824

Post#3 » by Domejandro » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:39 pm

I mean... they might as well, he does have talent.

I am not a huge fan of Bismack Biyombo, but they were foolish to not attempt to sign him. Even if at a slightly lower price, they could have offered a third year with a player option which would have definitely been intriguing for his agent. He would be a dreadful starter, but he would have at least given them a competent back-up player.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,043

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:42 pm

In the same vein I was going to propose JJ Hickson for Crawford.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#5 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:45 pm

He could fill the deandre jordan role them . Has potential to have a solid impact.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#6 » by loserX » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:32 pm

Well that would be interesting. If Chris Paul had issues with DeAndre Jordan he's going to flat-out murder McGee.
Eeavers57
Pro Prospect
And1: 439

Post#7 » by Eeavers57 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:33 pm

Wasabi_Johnson wrote:He could fill the deandre jordan role them . Has potential to have a solid impact.

Yeah, on Shaqtin' a Fool maybe!! :lol:
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,455

Post#8 » by jayjaysee » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:48 pm

I mean, they have to do something.. If they are getting a TPE from DJ there are plenty of better options.. If there aren't there still should be something..

Dalembert has had 7 extra months off and is only 34. His issue was he wanted to be called a starter.. Well he would be in LAC and probably wouldn't take up the full MLE..

But if McGee is willing to pay for cheap, I mean.. Why not? Looking at the free agents left? Aldrich, Withey, Joel? Not too much out there. If they aren't trading Crawford for a center or getting a TPE from Jordan, McGee is somehow one of their best options..
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,522

Post#9 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:57 pm

Well, how bad can McGee be. After all, Sheridan has McGee listed as the 41st best free agent before the offseason started.

Of course, he also has Mcgee described as:
waived after March 1 to keep him from being playoff eligible after he refused to take a buyout.

When in fact McGee was cut before the deadline in the hopes that he would find a playoff team and thus Philly could set off money.

I think the morale of my story is that Sheridan is a hack.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#10 » by blind prophet » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:59 pm

I think for the regular season he'd be nice.

I'm not convinced how he holds up under maximum pressure in a tight playoff series though.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#11 » by zapatasblood » Sat Jul 4, 2015 11:49 pm

Wonder if he has Larry sanders's digits

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ricepilar
Head Coach
And1: 73

Post#12 » by Ricepilar » Sun Jul 5, 2015 12:00 am

Wow this is depressing.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#13 » by SportsFan215 » Sun Jul 5, 2015 12:31 am

If I was Doc I would get Deandre to agree to a S&T so the Clips get a TPE out of the deal. Then with that TPE I would get Koufus via S&T with Memphis and then work a deal out with Denver to do the long-awaited Crawford/Wilcox for Chandler deal but give them extra incentive by taking Hickson off their hands with the rest of Deandre's S&T.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#14 » by psimanic1 » Sun Jul 5, 2015 6:59 am

And, no way Denver would take Crawford and Wilcox for Chandler and Hickson, for us they have some value, and C&W wouldn't have any, we already have Harris and Barton at 2, and Foye. But send Reddick for Chandler and Hickson and you have a deal!
And for McGee to LAC, if Paul and Paul can calm him down every few minutes, so he doesn't do anything stupid, he could be better than Jordan, if they can get him to play like McGee from LAL series in 2012 i think. That could be a steal from FA. Low risk high reward player, and i don't think he will ask for huge contract because he is getting money from PHI still, i think, but he could ask for longer contract, and with 30mil in cap space next year for LAC, i don't know if they want to give him more than 2 years with team option on 2nd?
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Post#15 » by Lindecision » Sun Jul 5, 2015 8:05 am

With no decent C in sight we're probably going to play small ball more often, and end up with a 3 headed monster for te C position. But yeh, why not? This season is kind of a throwaway with us being capped out and no longer being contenders, so guys McGee, Amare and Dalembert make sense as 1 year fillers. Then max cap space in 2016.

DJ leaving is obviously devastating, for both fans and Doc the GM's CV, but it does give the team a lot more flexibility. For example signing someone to the full MLE is now a possibility again if a Paul Pierce S&T can be worked out with DC. But that obviously cuts into the max cap space in 2016.
ilikebeer
Senior
And1: 18

Post#16 » by ilikebeer » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:14 pm

Chris Paul would eat him alive.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,736

Post#17 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:33 pm

CP3 be like Im too old for this ****.
https://youtu.be/oO3YmT2d-8k
Ingles is cooked.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,080

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:38 pm

Domejandro wrote:I mean... they might as well, he does have talent.

I am not a huge fan of Bismack Biyombo, but they were foolish to not attempt to sign him. Even if at a slightly lower price, they could have offered a third year with a player option which would have definitely been intriguing for his agent. He would be a dreadful starter, but he would have at least given them a competent back-up player.

I am a fan of Bismack and I can't believe he signed for as little as he did. I feel like there has to be something else going on with him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#19 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:24 pm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had a nice bounce back year under Doc. 1 year deal could be good for both parties.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#20 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:26 pm

blind prophet wrote:I think for the regular season he'd be nice.

I'm not convinced how he holds up under maximum pressure in a tight playoff series though.

Do you think George Karl will be upset about this? :-?

Return to Trades and Transactions