The following East teams should tank: POLL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Which Eastern Conference Teams Should Tank?

Philly
26%
Orlando
8%
Detroit
9%
Charlotte
17%
Indiana
11%
Boston
16%
Milwaukee
1%
Washington
1%
Toronto
8%
None
4%

Total votes: 337

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Re: The following East teams should tank: POLL 

Post#21 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:44 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Can we define tanking as opposed to rebuilding? To me, tanking is pretty much moving any piece that helps win now in exchange for picks and maybe very young players. So in Detroit's case, for example, that means moving Drummond?

I think Detroit could tank with Drummond. Minnesota tanked with Wiggins playing more minutes than anyone younger than Dick Bavetta.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#22 » by damecurry » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:25 am

I think Boston should tank. They have the requisite talent to fight for a playoff seed but I don't think they have the franchise piece they need, let alone two or three of them. Sell off solid vets like IT and Sully, hold on to smart and tank. Then you'll could get two top 5 picks in a couple drafts in a row and have some legit shots at that franchise guy. Right now their assortment of mid-value assets can keep them in the 4-8 seeds and 2nd round contention regularly but I just don't see how they come near a title with what they've got during the next 5-10 years. They'd have to pull off a blockbuster trade or do it through FA and I just think the path will be a lot easier if they tank for 2-3 years.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,284

Post#23 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:25 am

jbk1234 wrote:Philly, Orlando, Charlotte and Boston all should tank. I suspect that only Philly and Orlando will tank all season long. There will be more teams tanking on West this year than in the East.

Cs have outsourced their Tank to Dallas and Brooklyn. Don't really see how they could tank unless they trade decent assets for 0.25 on the dollar. I don't see it happening. Maybe they should, but it looks like they are moving up the ladder. perhaps too soon...but we will see.
Sign here
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#24 » by Eoghan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:38 am

Laimbeer wrote:With all due to Charlotte, they define a team that needs to tank. They don't have a young core, they have a young supporting cast. No one on that team will be the first, second, or perhaps even third best player on a contender or even a really good team. And they keep themselves just good enough to avoid a high pick.

Boston is in a similar situation except they have a nice stash of picks. I wouldn't mind seeing them tear it down with perhaps the exception of Smart.

Strong indications are Indy should as well, but I'd worry about George. Similarly, I don't think Detroit should as they have to think about Drummond's future.

Need to but it would be fruitless. Owner's too impatient for a rebuild, coaches can't develop young players, and the GM is mediocre at best at drafting. Might as well scrap for playoff appearances and hope casual fans buy tix.

Charlotte, Orlando, Boston, and Toronto are in the "try to win, ease back on the throttle when the writing's on the wall mid-season" category or the classic tank.

Philly has no choice. Indiana, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Washington might as well go for it.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#25 » by Boneman2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:48 am

Whether Indy should or shouldn't is irrelevant. Ownership and management refuse to go down that path in order to instill the right objectives.

The sooner Adam institutes a policy to deter tanking the better the league's product will be.

As it stands, Philly is habitually tanking. What is the %#+* point?
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#26 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:57 am

brackdan70 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Philly, Orlando, Charlotte and Boston all should tank. I suspect that only Philly and Orlando will tank all season long. There will be more teams tanking on West this year than in the East.

Cs have outsourced their Tank to Dallas and Brooklyn. Don't really see how they could tank unless they trade decent assets for 0.25 on the dollar. I don't see it happening. Maybe they should, but it looks like they are moving up the ladder. perhaps too soon...but we will see.

They could have handed the keys to Smart and gave Young twenty minutes and taken their bumps and bruises resulting in a lottery pick rather than letting Turner play point :banghead: Outsourcing their tank is a poor plan, the Dallas pick is protected and their are no gaurentees with the Nets picks. I would have been much happier if they just stayed young, signing Johnson and trading for Lee just seems like moves to keep,them in the middle.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:10 am

DK-All Day wrote:Philly / Indiana should be tanking. The rest of the teams should be good enough to battle for a playoff spot or already a playoff team. The East is wide open this season.

The Pacers will never tank. It sets up a culture of losing.
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#28 » by roc » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:10 am

This poll seems less agenda driven/biased than the same one on the GB.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#29 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:25 am

r0cd0gg wrote:This poll seems less agenda driven/biased than the same one on the GB.

This is why I don't like posting on the gen board :D.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#30 » by the_process » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:03 am

Boneman2 wrote:Whether Indy should or shouldn't is irrelevant. Ownership and management refuse to go down that path in order to instill the right objectives.

The sooner Adam institutes a policy to deter tanking the better the league's product will be.

:nonono: And here we go...
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#31 » by the_process » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:04 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
DK-All Day wrote:Philly / Indiana should be tanking. The rest of the teams should be good enough to battle for a playoff spot or already a playoff team. The East is wide open this season.

I'm sensing a pattern...
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#32 » by wickedwrister » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:30 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:

So does not having talented players.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#33 » by Boneman2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:35 am

oyoyer wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:Whether Indy should or shouldn't is irrelevant. Ownership and management refuse to go down that path in order to instill the right objectives.

:nonono: And here we go...

Once upon a time not long ago....
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#34 » by WizardsWorld » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:40 am

Don't know why we are even on the list as an option. I think we've shown the past 2 seasons that we are in Win Now mode. No need for any more 19 year old rookies... our 2 franchise players are coming into their own now and about to enter their prime.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,043

Post#35 » by Magic Giannison » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:21 am

Why are the Bucks and Wizards on the list.. ?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,776

Post#36 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 am

Honestly, every team besides Cleveland should tank.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#37 » by Gremz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:03 am

Only Philly and Boston for me. The rest should be building naturally with what they have, barring Charlotte. I'd like to see exactly what their plan is before making a decision one way or the other. Bucks, Washington and Toronto have solid things going, don't change it.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#38 » by DK-All Day » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:29 pm

oyoyer wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

I'm sensing a pattern...

Please enlighten us.
Handsome.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#39 » by They_Them_Hatin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:08 pm

It's all or nothing for Cho , MJ made that clear so hopefully this is our last season with him as our gm.

Boston should tank . Celtics fans keep saying that they're letting Brooklyn and Dallas tank for them but w/o extreme luck they're adding 10 and 12 this year and might swap 15 or 16 next year . Brooklyn and Dallas have a lot of money next off season they'll be better.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#40 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:06 pm

wickedwrister wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

So does not having talented players.

Like Joel Embiid? I have $10 that he and Saric will never amount to anything.

Return to Trades and Transactions