worst contract in the league now

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: worst contract in the league now 

Post#41 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Strongly disagree on Kanter. I think it's silly to entertain given his elite post skills and rebounding and the fact that he's 23.

Don't know if I'd strongly disagree but disagree I think. He's still young and we don't have a sample size of what he can do on this team, if it were 15 I would have felt much better about it and tbh was hoping for 13, but hey whatever.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#42 » by Birdie » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:27 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Pekovic. Then, I'd throw Varejao and Landry in there just ahead of Frye. Otherwise, we will have to see how some of these new contracts work out, otherwise, we'll have some new ones. Maybe Wes Matthews and Demarre Carroll if they don't click/work out.

Andy's last year isn't guaranteed and he's actually managed to stay healthy when we've brought him off the bench. What makes it a bad contract is that he was extended unnecessarily before his injury. If TT ends up playing on the QO this season and leaves after that, we'll be happy to have AV (assuming he can stay healthy coming off the bench).

LOL, jbk, I got respect and enjoy your posts on this board but you keep pushin TT in signing the QO narrative is so off base.

TT would be monumentally stupid to play on the QO. I don't think he could raise his value as high as he is right at this point. If someone is chirping in his ear right now telling him, oh TT, you could sign a 4yr/80mil contract next year, easy, I'd laugh at them.

If Cavs are offering 5/75 at the very least, even the 5/80, the difference in him playing on the QO to cash in next year, I don't think he'd even be close to the 4/74mil he'd have to score next year for him to get his choice of next team to "break even" in passing up the 5 year deal now.

He could get hurt. His production could come back down to earth. He might not get AS many minutes especially if Mozzy/Love ball out. So many variables, I think it'd be boneheaded to leave AT least 75mil on the table guaranteed.

That's why I think a) he wants to make more than Draymond as ego purposes or b) the 5th year PO might be the snag or eventually, he'll just take the 5/80 and call it a day because he wants to be on THIS Cavs team among his homies. Can't discount that either. That's why I think Shump came back at 10mil because I have no doubt SAC's offer could've been in 12-14mil range or whatever they offered Wes Matthews.
Come at the king, you best not miss...
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Post#43 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Xman wrote:Dallas might have another that qualifies: Chandler Parsons
15 points, 5 rebounds, and a good shooting percentage makes him look decent.
Major knee surgery = even worse defense.

$15.3 mil this year and $16 the next - which is a player option.
25% trade kicker

He might deserve 9 or even 10 mil - if he is healthy. Not $15 and $16.

only a salty Rockets fan would even mention him itt. He's not a good contract, but he doesn't come close to the worst in the league.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#44 » by uraverage » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:

25% trade kicker

only a salty Rockets fan would even mention him itt. He's not a good contract, but he doesn't come close to the worst in the league.

Agreed. I would put Parsons contract right about the D.Howard level. $22,000,000 to play half the season that he is not top 5 in rebounds or blocks. Not the worse contract but not the best.
sanitylaker
Senior
And1: 314

Post#45 » by sanitylaker » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 pm

25% trade kicker

Sounds like a clutchfan type of opinion

26 y/o player - 16/5/2.5 on 56%TS shooting 38% from deep is definitely worth the money. And I don't think his defense is as bad as you're trying to claim. Personally, I'd rather pay him 15m instead of paying the same money to 30 y/o Ariza and 29 y/o Brewer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Pekovic. Then, I'd throw Varejao and Landry in there just ahead of Frye. Otherwise, we will have to see how some of these new contracts work out, otherwise, we'll have some new ones. Maybe Wes Matthews and Demarre Carroll if they don't click/work out.

Andy's last year isn't guaranteed and he's actually managed to stay healthy when we've brought him off the bench. What makes it a bad contract is that he was extended unnecessarily before his injury. If TT ends up playing on the QO this season and leaves after that, we'll be happy to have AV (assuming he can stay healthy coming off the bench).

Andy has played in 11 NBA seasons. He's been healthy in 3, and reasonably healthy in one other season. 4 out of 11. He's been unhealthy in seasons where he's played career highs in minutes and career lows. The only consistency is that Andy will be unhealthy, on average, most every year.
Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#47 » by Cutter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:54 pm

Without a doubt the worst one year contract is Kobe's $25+million contract. The only thing that keeps if from being an all time negative contract is there is only one year left then expires.
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

worst contract in the league now 

Post#48 » by zapatasblood » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:32 pm

Yeah let's do the vote for worst value again. Didn't do it this past year at I don't think we did

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,524

Post#49 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:10 am

Pekovic cause he has an extra year on Varejao. I think Melo got this soon though his contract just runs into eternity like the classic Deron and Joe Johnson ones. Of the new ones signed this summer the one I'd pick to end up a "worst in the league" contract is Chandler. A real risk he's Gerald Wallace-d by like halfway through that contract
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#50 » by tcheco » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:17 am

I'd say that other than the ones that can't play injury wise, Frye is really expensive. Carrol looks ugly because of the new era of contracts, but in a couple of years everyone will have a similar contract.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#51 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:37 am

As a Portland fan. all of us love the iron man (Matthews) and hope he comes back strong but as of now,
a max contract coming off an Achilles rupture is just irresponsible.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#52 » by 165bows » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:54 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:For guys not mentioned I'd add in Kemba Walker (fine player, but paid $12 mil a year for the next 4 years) and Nick Young (not worst by any means since it's only about 5 mil, but it's definitely a real bad contract right now).

Also an honorable mention to Derrick Williams. Only 2 years and 5 mil, but has a PO on it and he was likely only getting slightly above minimum deals elsewhere.

Williams is actually 2 years and 8+ million. So, it is even worse if you already thought it was bad.

I meant 5 mil a year as I've seen it reported as 10 mil over 2 years.

It's not like it's an immovable contract or burdensome, but just bad all around imo.

Agree on that Derrick Williams one as being an under the radar one. Just seems really likely to me they are trying to pay to dump him next summer to sign someone else with that space.

Also the Kobe one does deserve more mention. If he'd taken something like high teens, the Lakers could have potentially had two max offers this summer. Really the main attraction they could have had in FA and they shot it giving Kobe too much. Poor planning.
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#53 » by Birdie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:45 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Andy has played in 11 NBA seasons. He's been healthy in 3, and reasonably healthy in one other season. 4 out of 11. He's been unhealthy in seasons where he's played career highs in minutes and career lows. The only consistency is that Andy will be unhealthy, on average, most every year.

04-05 - 28 Total; 4 Coach's Decision, 6 games (left knee patella tendinitis) 18 games (left high ankle sprain vs WAS)

05-06 - 34 Total; 2 Coach's Decision, 32 games (dislocated right shoulder from America's World Championship)

06-07 - 1 Total; 1 (strained neck)

07-08 - 34 Total; 21 (contract holdout). 13 games (left ankle sprain vs LAL)

08-09 - 1 Total; 1 (bruised wrist)

09-10 - 6 Total; 2 (hip contusion), 4 (sore left hamstring)

10-11 - 51 Total; 47 (torn tendon right ankle/routine conditioning drill), 1 (with ill dad), 1 (bruised ribs), 2 (broken cheekbone)

11-12 - 41 Total; 41 (broken right wrist vs MIL)

12-13 - 57 Total; 1 (bruised right knee), 56 (bruised right knee/split right leg muscle/blood clot in lung vs TOR)

13-14 - 17 Total; 3 (hyperextended/bruised left knee), 12 (sore back vs MEM), 1 (right shoulder sprain), 1 (Coach's Decision)

14-15 - 56 Total; 1 (rib contusion), 55 (left achilles vs MIN)

326 missed games out of 886 = 36.8% of career missed games by Andy; 4 of 11 season's were season ending.

There is no denying that Andy has had some REALLY terrible luck when it's come to injuries, especially in the last 5.

But in all honesty, can you really peg someone as "injury prone" when some of it is out of his control?

Torn tendon in practice, broken wrist, blood clot and achilles injury account for 199 of the 326 missed games in his career. And I can't really say Andy is built like a house of glass either. Most of his injuries were flukes. If anything, you could label him as injury bad luck. Hopefully, this year, he breaks the cycle and can be a pick n pop, energy big for 10-15min this year, he deserves it.
Come at the king, you best not miss...
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#54 » by GANGSTERDOG » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:57 am

Oh yeah Frye is a bad contract... Just like Ben Gordon was a bad contract this year smh.
His deal gets lower and lower and he expanse the offense at the 4 and 5 spot.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#55 » by Boarder Patrol » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:04 am

I'd say Pek. Minny doesn't need to worry about it too much though. By the time they're in contender mode he'll be gone or close to it.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#56 » by nykballa2k4 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:40 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Pekovic cause he has an extra year on Varejao. I think Melo got this soon though his contract just runs into eternity like the classic Deron and Joe Johnson ones. Of the new ones signed this summer the one I'd pick to end up a "worst in the league" contract is Chandler. A real risk he's Gerald Wallace-d by like halfway through that contract

Speaking of Chandlers:
Tyson Chandler...
old, getting worse over past 2 years, paid well over next 4 years.
Carroll is obviously bad
Triston Thompson is about to be hella overpaid

Greg Monroe maxed out even in the new economy is redonk
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,524

Post#57 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:58 am

I meant Tyson Chandler
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#58 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:06 am

Some have said it but TT. He is not worth the LBJ premium. Plus the lux tax double dip he is costing Cavs (yes I know not just him, but similar to when bank says you owe us the overdraft plus a overdraft penalty/fee). Those dollars really hurt when all you wanted was a late night burrito to back up the fried chicken from dinner.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Post#59 » by MadNESS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:46 am

I think it has to be AV. The guy is just always hurt.

Pek is up there as well...
LAKESHOW
WizardsWorld
Lead Assistant
And1: 236

Post#60 » by WizardsWorld » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:16 am

kevin love is the worst contract in the league.

honorable mentions: Pekovic, Frye, Carroll, Reg Jackson, Nick Young, Wes Matthews and Tristan Thompsons soon to be contract.

Return to Trades and Transactions