CLE/LAL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

CLE/LAL 

Post#1 » by Birdie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:01 pm

It might be crazy of me or it's just my lack of afternoon coffee to clear out the mundane type of morning I just had but I was entertaining the thought of bringing Swaggy P to CLE. Yea, I know Cavs' fans, the hate for Swaggy P has been well documented but hear me out and curious what LAL nation thoughts might be on this as well:

Pros:
Similar build height/weight as JR. Can play the 2/3 positions.
Willing and has embraced 6th man role
Pretty similar shooting % for 2's/3's as JR career-wise
Relatively decent contract $$$ for what he's asked to do and locked up for 2+ years at the least.
Gunner mentality like JR (hot/cold)

Cons:
Defense is trash
A goofball (but not as volatile as JR where everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop)
Poor decision making (like JR, being in a new situation where his role is clearly defined as what is expected of him, this could be cleaned up)

I was thinking of a deal along these lines if JR/CLE can't come to a contract agreement:

LAL receive Harris

CLE receives Young into 10.5mil TPE + 2016 LAL 2nd rd + 2017 LAL 2nd rd OR future next available 1st rd pick swap, Top 7 protected

We get a player kin to what JR could produce on a contract more to our liking and acquire some picks back to restock the bare cupboard. For the Lakers, it's just a clear dump because I have a feeling Scott just doesn't like Young's antics and Lou Will now the designated 6th man. Seems to make sense for all parties.

Or Cavs can use this as a negotiating tactic that if JR seems adamant on not agreeing to a reasonable price with us, we'll just go out and get Swaggy P @ 5.2mil/yr. So CLE should be offering something like a 2yr 10-11mil deal with 2nd year PO where 1st year salary might start in 5-5.5mil range. Make sense or am I just thinking about the formation of pop's newest supergroup of Teyana Taylor, Iggy Azalea & Usher as they would all have affiliations with the Cavs, haha... :lol: ?
Come at the king, you best not miss...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Re: CLE/LAL 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm putting in a request to have you banned from the Cavs board. That is all.

Kidding. Well half kidding anyway.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Birdie
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by Birdie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:36 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'm putting in a request to have you banned from the Cavs board. That is all.

hahaha... :P

It was just a thought. Swaggy & JR are almost clones of one another when you look at their numbers and what other way can we get some picks seeing as we're 2nd roundless until 2020, lol...

Maybe I was enchanted by Swaggy's Drew League buzzer beater when I was perusing ESPN. lol. Don't judge me.

But then I boiled it down to, if JR goes, who do we replace him with? Seems like our choices are Jamal or Swaggy as the closet to what JR can do in some respects. Slim pickins'.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,142

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:39 pm

Birdie wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm putting in a request to have you banned from the Cavs board. That is all.

It was just a thought. Swaggy & JR are almost clones of one another when you look at their numbers and what other way can we get some picks seeing as we're 2nd roundless until 2020, lol...

Maybe I was enchanted by Swaggy's Drew League buzzer beater when I was perusing ESPN. lol. Don't judge me.

But then I boiled it down to, if JR goes, who do we replace him with? Seems like our choices are Jamal or Swaggy as the closet to what JR can do in some respects. Slim pickins'.

I'd rather not replace JR at all than replace him with Swaggy. If we are being honest, Mo Williams is already a bit of JR replacement. Let me ask you this question: If the Cavs are in the ECF or Finals, are there any circumstances under which you'd be okay with putting Swagging on the court?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Birdie
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by Birdie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Birdie wrote:

I'd rather not replace JR at all than replace him with Swaggy. If we are being honest, Mo Williams is already a bit of JR replacement. Let me ask you this question: If the Cavs are in the ECF or Finals, are there any circumstances under which you'd be okay with putting Swagging on the court?

Good point from that perspective.

I agree on the Mo part but a minor issue that having JR (or Shump) is the fact he can play the 3. I just wish the Cavs could find a non-over the hill wing guy that can spell LBJ as we move season to season. I think we're OK this season but long term, they're def. gonna have to address that someway.

I don't think we should be tempting fate by taking for granted that he's built like a robot and can play 40min/game because I think that's gonna bite us in the ass. Mike Brown was able to get away with that because he had a 21-26 year LBJ to work with. There are small signs father time is inching into LBJ's game and rightfully so.

LBJ's goal this year should be to get back to 50% FG and improve his FT%.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:02 pm

I don't think the Lakers would be willing to add the 1st round swap, but I think you might could get a 2nd or two for taking on Young? Of course the Lakers would probably prefer to just keep him this year and then pay less to move him next year--at least that's what I would do.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Birdie
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Birdie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:I don't think the Lakers would be willing to add the 1st round swap, but I think you might could get a 2nd or two for taking on Young? Of course the Lakers would probably prefer to just keep him this year and then pay less to move him next year--at least that's what I would do.

That's what I was thinking as well. The 1st was more a pipe dream. The 2nd's seemed as payment for taking on the full 15mil left. But yea, they could just wait it out. I'm just assuming that Young might've worn out his welcome or he's not in the plans of what the team wants to do going forward and would just rather be rid of him instead of rubbing off on D-Russ/Randle/Clarkson.

Was just a fleeting thought but jbk brought me back down to earth because I wish the Cavs would get TT/JR contracts done already. lol.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#8 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Would rather send 2018 #1 to Denver for Randy Foye.
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Post#9 » by eagles nut » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:14 am

At this point, I think you can re-sign Smith for less money and years than what Young is making. What leverage does Smith have anymore? The teams still under-the-cap are young and not playoff ready and unlikely to want to bring Smith's personality onto their teams. A few teams still have their MLE but those are generally teams closer to the luxury tax. What other team is likely to target J.R. Smith?
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,066

Post#10 » by tidho » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:13 pm

No thanks.

If Swaggy and JR are the same guy, why wouldn't Cleveland just resign JR for less money?
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#11 » by bgrep14 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Swaggy P is my least favorite player in the NBA. I don't think I'd trade a bag of s### for him in all honesty
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#12 » by bgrep14 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:27 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:Would rather send 2018 #1 to Denver for Randy Foye.

lmao why would you want to trade a first for randy foye?

Return to Trades and Transactions