Jose Calderon to Cleveland?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

rein08
Senior
And1: 18

Post#1 » by rein08 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Yes, Cleveland resigned Delly back but I think Cleveland needs a more stable backup point guard. Enter Jose Calderon - he's a starter-quality point guard even at his age. Delly could backup Shumpert and if Smith resigns, he could be at the 3. The Haywood exception is big enough to absorb Calderon's contract and given the cap spike next year, that $7M would be a bargain. Plus, Jose deserves to be on a title contender.

Possible Cavaliers depth chart:
PG - Irving / Calderon
SG - Shumpert / Dellavedova
SF - Lebron / JR Smith
PF - Love / Thompson
C - Mozgov / Varejao

That's a solid 10-man rotation for me. Delly and Calderon could take turns running the point as both are good playmakers and both are solid spot-up shooters.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Jose Calderon to Cleveland? 

Post#2 » by loserX » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:24 pm

The Cavs signed Mo Williams to play that role. Calderon might have been worth a look as a fallback option but he's not needed now, especially since Mo is coming cheaper.
rein08
Senior
And1: 18

Post#3 » by rein08 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 pm

loserX wrote:The Cavs signed Mo Williams to play that role. Calderon might have been worth a look as a fallback option but he's not needed now, especially since Mo is coming cheaper.

I forgot about that.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,051

Post#4 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:47 pm

If the Knicks don't do well this year I could see TPE, 1st, Cedi for AA at the deadline.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#5 » by mcfly1204 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:35 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:If the Knicks don't do well this year I could see TPE, 1st, Cedi for AA at the deadline.

I am not sure what the motivation for Cleveland would be. Smith does not resign, or Smith only signs a one year deal?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#6 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 am

mcfly1204 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:If the Knicks don't do well this year I could see TPE, 1st, Cedi for AA at the deadline.

I am not sure what the motivation for Cleveland would be. Smith does not resign, or Smith only signs a one year deal?

Shump injury? Smith implosion? AA > Joe Harris? Dan Gilbert's competitive spirit?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:07 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

Shump injury? Smith implosion? AA > Joe Harris? Dan Gilbert's competitive spirit?

Yeah, but even if Tristan only signed his QO this year, adding Calderon's $7.4m salary would also add a corresponding tax bill of around $21m. So, Calderon would cost Cleveland $28.4m this year total. And that's only if Tristan signs his QO. If Tristan ends up signing for the rumored $16+m-ish? At that point, Calderon would cost Cleveland over $36m this year alone. Is a 4th PG worth that?
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#8 » by nba2k16 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:19 am

rein08 wrote:
loserX wrote:The Cavs signed Mo Williams to play that role. Calderon might have been worth a look as a fallback option but he's not needed now, especially since Mo is coming cheaper.

I forgot about that.

Pretty significant detail to forget about...

That completely makes adding Calderon useless.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#9 » by yoyoboy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:29 am

Afflalo is not worth a first alone.
melo mvp 15
Assistant Coach
And1: 393

Post#10 » by melo mvp 15 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:54 am

I've been saying Cleveland should trade for Jose since the trade deadline, but after they signed Mo to that great contract- it doesn't really make much sense.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#11 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:I am not sure what the motivation for Cleveland would be. Smith does not resign, or Smith only signs a one year deal?

Yeah, but even if Tristan only signed his QO this year, adding Calderon's $7.4m salary would also add a corresponding tax bill of around $21m. So, Calderon would cost Cleveland $28.4m this year total. And that's only if Tristan signs his QO. If Tristan ends up signing for the rumored $16+m-ish? At that point, Calderon would cost Cleveland over $36m this year alone. Is a 4th PG worth that?

Didn't say it was good motivation :) From my perspective, Jose Calderon isn't worth it. But if Irving goes down and the Cavs are in the Driver's seat, I would imagine that the Cavs would pay what needs paid for a replacement; (I would also imagine that the replacement would be better than Calderon). To that end, I've heard that Dan Gilbert bought out a 7 figure non-compete agreement to get the talent he wants; I put nothing past the man.

But I don't know how they evaluate Calderon, just throwing out possible motivations.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,683

Post#12 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

yeah I think we all need to keep numbers like this in mind when talking about what Cleveland does with that TPE. My guess is that they sit on it for now and if they suffer an injury then maybe Gilbert is willing to add further to the cap bill this year. But if everyone is healthy I think they sit on until the off-season and maybe use it then to add another piece from teams trying to make a huge splash in free agency next year.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

yeah I think we all need to keep numbers like this in mind when talking about what Cleveland does with that TPE. My guess is that they sit on it for now and if they suffer an injury then maybe Gilbert is willing to add further to the cap bill this year. But if everyone is healthy I think they sit on until the off-season and maybe use it then to add another piece from teams trying to make a huge splash in free agency next year.

Yup. If anything, I think Cleveland looks for guys that make $5m or less to fill a need that might arise during the season. I only see them using more than that if there's just a perfect, high-value role player that they just have to have.

Theoretically, I see Cleveland moving for a Ian Mahinmi or Zaza Pachulia much more likely than a Jose Calderon. And that revolves all around cost, rather than position.
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#14 » by Birdie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:04 pm

I don't see the Cavs wanting to use the TPE for this season unless they can acquire a guy like Ariza/Chandler/MKG ilk that those teams would be willing to give away for most likely our 2018 1st rd pick. Remote if not pipe dream.

Calderon @ 7mil + 25mil in taxes, insane, unless NYK are gifting us picks they don't have to take on his trash contract. And what a waste of that TPE space for a player that most likely wouldn't have a longterm future with us. He's hardly a win-now player either. If anything, in relation to OP point in the event Cavs need PG help, they'd scour the FA trash bin before taking on that type of financial commitment.

Now, if he was on a 2-2.5mil contract, then yea, I'd take him into MM's TPE amount in a heartbeat in a pinch but nothing more than that. If anything, we need wing depth because in this new NBA, having guys who can guard multiple positions is the new wave of how teams play. That's why a team like MEM will only get so far because they're still operating somewhat in 90's NBA strategy and they'll eventually conclude, we gotta blow this thing up as ZBo ages and Tony Allen can't shoot.
Come at the king, you best not miss...
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#15 » by Birdie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yup. If anything, I think Cleveland looks for guys that make $5m or less to fill a need that might arise during the season. I only see them using more than that if there's just a perfect, high-value role player that they just have to have.

Theoretically, I see Cleveland moving for a Ian Mahinmi or Zaza Pachulia much more likely than a Jose Calderon. And that revolves all around cost, rather than position.

Totally agreed and looking at the list of guys making around 5mil or <, the players that I would want/target in a pinch based on what our team would need depending on the injury/role player needed, are most likely unmovable which whittle down the list to a just a handful of players.

Zaza @ 5.2mil - Most expensive with salary decreasing for the following players
Kaman
Collison
Dudley
Thabo
Mahinmi
Mills
Evan Turner
Pondexter
Morrow
Foye
Henson
KCP
James Johnson

Not a huge list. Foye would probably be the most expendable of all.
Come at the king, you best not miss...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:24 pm

Birdie wrote:
Totally agreed and looking at the list of guys making around 5mil or <, the players that I would want/target in a pinch based on what our team would need depending on the injury/role player needed, are most likely unmovable which whittle down the list to a just a handful of players.

Zaza @ 5.2mil - Most expensive with salary decreasing for the following players
Kaman
Collison
Dudley
Thabo
Mahinmi
Mills
Evan Turner
Pondexter
Morrow
Foye
Henson
KCP
James Johnson

Not a huge list. Foye would probably be the most expendable of all.

Yeah. Good and likely list. I'd think it's most likely that Cleveland uses the Mike Miller TPE during the season, if any, for a guy like James Johnson, Foye, or Pondexter. Then, probably save the Haywood TPE for flexibility next summer, where with the rise in cap, they'd be in a better position to absorb something.

Return to Trades and Transactions