Would Boston still gamble on Embiid for ?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Would Boston still gamble on Embiid for ? 

Post#1 » by SparksFly87 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:45 am

Smart?

76ers get a B level prospect who projects as a solid playmaker and elite perimeter defender. Philly commits to Okafar and Noel front court.

Boston clears a log jam at guard while investing in their future by acquiring a high risk high reward 7 ft plus post player who can protect the rim and score in the post. Patience and rehab could pay off. Boston could become dominant in the east.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Would Boston still gamble on Embiid for ? 

Post#2 » by stitches » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:56 am

I doubt it. At this point I wouldn't give up Smart for Embiid.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:59 am

Nope, the Embiid deals need a break, unless you're basically giving him away, which you shouldn't.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
neno
Rookie
And1: 918

Post#4 » by neno » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:30 am

Olynk+young or a comparative package(c prospect plus lesser asset) by the way olynk would compliment noel very well
Nightperzon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,514

Post#5 » by Nightperzon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:50 am

Smart is awful, 76ers would be best off just staying with Embiid and hoping he recovers in a few years.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#6 » by cl2117 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:22 am

Embiid? No.

Noel? Yes.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,873

Post#7 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:03 am

There's no way Philly would trade for Smart. They might accidentally win a few more games.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#8 » by nba2k16 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am

cl2117 wrote:Embiid? No.

Noel? Yes.

Noel is untouchable and is worth FAR more than Smart...
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#9 » by nba2k16 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am

stitches wrote:I doubt it. At this point I wouldn't give up Smart for Embiid.

And I don't think Philly would give up Embiid for Smart either. Especially within the division.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#10 » by cl2117 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:01 pm

nba2k16 wrote:

Noel? Yes.

Untouchable is a bit strong, but an understandable sentiment. I was just pointing out that I think Smart for Noel is a lot closer than Smart for Embiid considering the injuries.

No way anyone trades anything close to Smart's value for Embiid out of fears he is the next Greg Oden. I wouldn't trade Noel for Smart if I was Philly, but I think they'd give it more consideration than I'd give Smart for Embiid, which is just a non-starter at this juncture because of concerns over Embiid's feet.

nba2k16 wrote:

And I don't think Philly would give up Embiid for Smart either. Especially within the division.

Philly would be absolute fools not to do Embiid for Smart. Embiid obviously has a much much higher ceiling than Smart, but these injuries are very concerning and Smart has a very high floor. With two really talented big men already in tow in Noel and Okafor, I can't imagine the Sixers turning down Smart for Embiid.

I also can't imagine Ainge even entertaining Smart for Embiid. The risk is way too great.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#11 » by DK-All Day » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:04 pm

Nightperzon wrote:Smart is awful, 76ers would be best off just staying with Embiid and hoping he recovers in a few years.

Smart is awful. Based on what exactly?
Handsome.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#12 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:14 pm

DK-All Day wrote:
Nightperzon wrote:Smart is awful, 76ers would be best off just staying with Embiid and hoping he recovers in a few years.

Don't bother to grace the original comment with a response.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:There's no way Philly would trade for Smart. They might accidentally win a few more games.

Another insightful contribution.
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#14 » by nba2k16 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm

cl2117 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:

Noel? Yes.

Untouchable is a bit strong, but an understandable sentiment. I was just pointing out that I think Smart for Noel is a lot closer than Smart for Embiid considering the injuries.

No way anyone trades anything close to Smart's value for Embiid out of fears he is the next Greg Oden. I wouldn't trade Noel for Smart if I was Philly, but I think they'd give it more consideration than I'd give Smart for Embiid, which is just a non-starter at this juncture because of concerns over Embiid's feet.

nba2k16 wrote:

Philly would be absolute fools not to do Embiid for Smart. Embiid obviously has a much much higher ceiling than Smart, but these injuries are very concerning and Smart has a very high floor. With two really talented big men already in tow in Noel and Okafor, I can't imagine the Sixers turning down Smart for Embiid.

I also can't imagine Ainge even entertaining Smart for Embiid. The risk is way too great.

You know how there's win win trades? This is like a lose lose trade for both teams. For Boston it doesn't make sense to give up on Smart. He's valuable. Embiids ceiling is a lot higher but a huge risk. For philly though, they are already so invested long term in the tank it's still worth their while to give him the chance to heal and see if he can reach his potential

If Ainge called Hinkie proposing Smart for Noel Hinkie would put the phone down immediately
HartfordWhalers

Post#15 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
DK-All Day wrote:

Considering the level of your comments, you really shouldn't be telling anyone else not to bother responding.
HartfordWhalers

Post#16 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:39 pm

In terms of an Embiid trade, I don't see one happening. His value is low and should be, and if Philly is willing to move him, that should scare teams away further. Meanwhile, Philly wants that upside that may or may not happen.

As for Smart, I like him. Defense is great, good size, great attitude. Big question is his shot, where he hit 3's at 33.5% and that was while assisted on 90% of his makes. And a 65% ft%. Another question is how much he can really be that creator initiator for others, which due to their luxury of pg options, Boston didn't use him fully in.

I just cannot see a Smart to Philly trade, as Philly wouldn't want to give up something with more upside (Noel, Okafor, but also their own pick this year and even the Lakers pick qualifies imo), and the last thing on Earth Boston needs is a de-consolidation trade. Next summer when all of each team's draft picks are known, and the big chips have had another year to see what they are, I could see a deal.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#17 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:55 pm

SparksFly87 wrote:Smart?

76ers get a B level prospect who projects as a solid playmaker and elite perimeter defender. Philly commits to Okafar and Noel front court.

Boston clears a log jam at guard while investing in their future by acquiring a high risk high reward 7 ft plus post player who can protect the rim and score in the post. Patience and rehab could pay off. Boston could become dominant in the east.

Short answer no. I could see Boston puting together an Embiid package should Philly be ready to move on; but I don't think that "win-now" talent would be part of the equation.

James Young, 2016 BOS #1, 2018 MEM #1. That is likely underwhelming from the PHI perspective; but it's got that highly speculative future asset (MEM pick) that at least gets the heat off.

From BOS perspective, it's an overpay for a player who may never step on the court. My thoughts are that they have 8 probable draft picks in 2016 and can afford to swing for the fences.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#18 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:59 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
DK-All Day wrote:

Considering the level of your comments, you really shouldn't be telling anyone else not to bother responding.

Excuse me? My comment was serious. Philly is still tanking, and to bring in a good young player like Smart before the franchise is ready to start winning might help defeat the purpose.

HartfordWhalers

Post#19 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Excuse me? My comment was serious. Philly is still tanking, and to bring in a good young player like Smart before the franchise is ready to start winning might help defeat the purpose.

Philly's brought in players that have contributed and helped, like Covington for instance. Philly has pretty relentlessly gone through their roster looking for youth that will help them win (long term), keeping the best players and dropping the rest. Ideally Stauskas contributes. Etc. To say Philly wouldn't be interested in a player as young as Smart because he might 'accidentally help the team win' felt like trolling, but maybe it was just missing the subtlety in what Philly has been doing.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#20 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:13 pm

Philly isn't ready to win yet. If Hinkie stays true to his philosophy, the last thing he wants to do next year is to win something like 30 games and get the 7th or 8th pick in the upcoming draft. He needs to stay bad until he can bring Saric over and hopefully trade one of his young bigs and/or another top 3 pick for winning players. Embiid is not tradeable now. No team will take the medical risk unless he can be obtained at a substantial discount.

Do I think Hinkie's strategy will work? No, but that's a separate issue.

Return to Trades and Transactions