ATL-TOR-UTA (Horford)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

ATL-TOR-UTA (Horford) 

Post#1 » by CBA » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:47 pm

Your standard "star player moved before he hits free agency" trade based on the idea Atlanta takes a couple steps back out of the gate.

Utah receives:

Patrick Patterson

Toronto receives:

Al Horford

Atlanta receives:

Trevor Booker
Terrence Ross
Lucas Noguiera
2016 NYK 1st
2016 TOR 1st
2017 GSW 1st (via UTA)
2017 LAC 1st

Utah receives a relatively cheap player who fits with both Gobert and Favors in the frontcourt. Atlanta walks away with four first round picks and a couple young players before Horford has a chance to leave them with nothing next summer. Toronto makes a jump into the higher tier of contending teams with a star player.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,331

Re: ATL-TOR-UTA (Horford) 

Post#2 » by DK-All Day » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:53 pm

This is not good for Atlanta. None of the picks are going to be good and the prospects are they're getting back are C-level at best. That doesn't get you Horford, pending free agency or not. It would be funny behavior to give Millsap a huge contract in the offseason and then trade Horford. It doesn't make sense.

Atlanta would probably need Jonas Valanciunas.
Handsome.
james vincent
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#3 » by james vincent » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:57 pm

it isnt good value for atlanta but horford will expire after this season. I'm not sure what Atlanta will do in case Horford walks (which I doubt he will if he receives the maximum and plus more). Toronto should add more but I think they would want Horford to play alongside Valanciunas and not give him up to Atlanta (considering that Horford is a great rebounder, defender, and passer out of the post). I'm not sure how this trade should work: Atlanta wouldn't be happy with the return, while Toronto may give up too much while not having the right pieces to contend immediately in the East.
RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Post#4 » by RealityIsDemar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm not giving 3 firsts and Ross and Nougeira for an expiring no matter who (unless Lebron or KD :lol:)
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#5 » by loserX » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:55 pm

This kind of supposes that Toronto will be better than Atlanta this year, and I'm not sure that's true. I know Carroll went from one to the other but I'm still not sure it makes more sense for Toronto to risk on Horford than it does for Atlanta to.
CBA
Bench Warmer
And1: 378

Post#6 » by CBA » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, I set the assumption in the OP as Atlanta takes a couple steps back. At that point, Toronto with Horford would definitely be better than an inferior Atlanta squad with Horford.

I agree, though, it is a risk which is why I didn't add Jonas. If Horford left Toronto in this scenario, they wouldn't be destroyed like the Lakers were.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#7 » by Dukenukem23 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:17 pm

DK-All Day wrote:This is not good for Atlanta. None of the picks are going to be good and the prospects are they're getting back are C-level at best. That doesn't get you Horford, pending free agency or not. It would be funny behavior to give Millsap a huge contract in the offseason and then trade Horford. It doesn't make sense.

Atlanta would probably need Jonas Valanciunas.

The knick pick looks top ten easy. Since when we're this not good picks?
samuraix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,726

Post#8 » by samuraix » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:42 pm

Don't see Utah giving up a 1st to swap Booker for Patterson.

What about including Denver:

TOR:
Horford

ATL:
Gallinari (Not sure if he has been extended yet)
NYK 1st

DEN:
Ross
Nogueira
2016 TOR 1st
2017 LAC 1st

I'd still have to think about mortgaging all that for a rental of Horford but I guess it makes sense from a competing standpoint.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#9 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:40 pm

Those picks are nice, but doesn't really mesh with where Atlanta is at competitively at the moment.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Re: Re: ATL-TOR-UTA (Horford) 

Post#10 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 pm

samuraix wrote:Don't see Utah giving up a 1st to swap Booker for Patterson.

TOR:
Horford

ATL:
NYK 1st

DEN:
Ross
Nogueira
2016 TOR 1st
2017 LAC 1st

I'd still have to think about mortgaging all that for a rental of Horford but I guess it makes sense from a competing standpoint.

Atlanta wouldn't do that they would want a young proven star or semi star under control and who doesn't have a injury past. The Knicks pick looks good.

This makes Toronto very good up front with Carroll, Horford and Jonas Valanciunas. Only thing I think we would want Horford extended before we give up Ross, Bebe Noguiera and 3 first round picks
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#11 » by mattao313 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:40 pm

Replace the NYC pick and T ross with Valanciunas makes the trade more even imo.
Championships
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#12 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:54 pm

I expected this to be a deal where Horford was heading to Toronto, and Valanciunas+ was going down to Atlanta. Needless to say, I am disappointed.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,489

Re: Re: Re: ATL-TOR-UTA (Horford) 

Post#13 » by dms269 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:

TOR:
Horford

ATL:
NYK 1st

DEN:
Ross
Nogueira
2016 TOR 1st
2017 LAC 1st

Atlanta wouldn't do that they would want a young proven star or semi star under control and who doesn't have a injury past. The Knicks pick looks good.

This makes Toronto very good up front with Carroll, Horford and Jonas Valanciunas. Only thing I think we would want Horford extended before we give up Ross, Bebe Noguiera and 3 first round picks

If Horford was extended then Atlanta would for sure want more than two low tier prospects and 3 meh picks.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,176

Re: Re: Re: Re: ATL-TOR-UTA (Horford) 

Post#14 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 pm

uga_dawgs24 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

TOR:
Horford

ATL:
NYK 1st

DEN:
Ross
Nogueira
2016 TOR 1st
2017 LAC 1st

If Horford was extended then Atlanta would for sure want more than two low tier prospects and 3 meh picks.

Well I will give you that Ross and Bebe are lower tier prospects but I think people are undervaluing that Knicks pick in this board. The Knicks are a mess they have Melo and nothing else. They have 2 prospects in Grant and Porzingis but they don't help The Knicks win now. At worst that pick is in the 10-13 range and I can see it in the 3-7 range
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#15 » by RonaldArtest » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:40 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:I expected this to be a deal where Horford was heading to Toronto, and Valanciunas+ was going down to Atlanta. Needless to say, I am disappointed.

Toronto trades Val+ for a rental? Horford is nice but give me a break.

Return to Trades and Transactions