Rolling trade challenge: keep cousins, make playoffs.

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Rolling trade challenge: keep cousins, make playoffs. 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Sacramento has a new arena, an owner that won't sign off on any cousins trade, and a mandate to make the post season. On the plus side they could care less about character/lockerroom flaws, so you can as well.

Other than Cousins nothing is off limits besides firing the owner. (Can't move team East either)
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Re: Rolling trade challenge: keep cousins, make playoffs. 

Post#2 » by Dat2U » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Make sure Rondo doesn't see the floor... maybe release him before training camp?

I like pieces off their roster. The dumping of Stauskas, etc to sign Belinelli (trainwreck at defense) & Rondo (trainwreck at everything) for me is one of the all-time head scratching moves.

Quiet as kept, Gay dogged it last year, especially defensively. He needs to lock in if they are going to have a shot.

Honestly, I'd probably try to deal:

1. Rudy Gay & James Anderson for Markieff Morris & T.J. Warren. Depending on what you think of Warren he could be the new starting SF or first F off the bench.

2. Rajon Rondo, Caron Butler & a 2nd rd pick to Miami for Josh McRoberts, Mario Chalmers & James Ennis (more of a salary dump from Miami's perspective).

C DeMarcus Cousins > Kosta Koufos > Willie Cauley-Stein
F Markieff Morris > Josh McRoberts > Quincy Acy
F T.J. Warren > James Ennis > Omri Casspi
G Ben McLemore > Mario Chalmers > Marco Belinelli
G Darren Collison > Seth Curry > David Stockton

> Sac can still go big if they want to but with Kieff & McRoberts at PF, it provides more skill at the 4 with better spacing. Lineups featuring Morris or McRoberts should mean a field day for Cousins with more room to operate.

> McLemore has settled in as a nice low usage role player. He's a solid asset and developing defender.

> Collison is ok at starting PG. I like Curry/Stockton as low cost backups. An overall upgrade is needed but Ty Lawson was already dealt.

>Chalmers is a better as an off-the-ball SG were he can focus on spotting up/slashing & defending. He struggles mightily as a PG unless there's a dominant ball-handler a la LeBron.

>Replacing Gay with Warren & Ennis on the perimeter exchanges a guy who was a bit of slacker (and had little fire) for two hungry prospects in need of opportunity.

I think the team is better balanced. Playoffs in the West are incredibly tough. I see this team as playoffs in the East but likely 45 wins in the West which will still leave them a few games short of the goal. IMO, that may be better than an all-in scenario where your sacrificing a long term asset like Cauley-Stein or McLemore.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#3 » by Kings2013 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Dat2U wrote:Make sure Rondo doesn't see the floor... maybe release him before training camp?

I like pieces off their roster. The dumping of Stauskas, etc to sign Belinelli (trainwreck at defense) & Rondo (trainwreck at everything) for me is one of the all-time head scratching moves.

Quiet as kept, Gay dogged it last year, especially defensively. He needs to lock in if they are going to have a shot.

Honestly, I'd probably try to deal:

1. Rudy Gay & James Anderson for Markieff Morris & T.J. Warren. Depending on what you think of Warren he could be the new starting SF or first F off the bench.

2. Rajon Rondo, Caron Butler & a 2nd rd pick to Miami for Josh McRoberts, Mario Chalmers & James Ennis (more of a salary dump from Miami's perspective).

C DeMarcus Cousins > Kosta Koufos > Willie Cauley-Stein
F Markieff Morris > Josh McRoberts > Quincy Acy
F T.J. Warren > James Ennis > Omri Casspi
G Ben McLemore > Mario Chalmers > Marco Belinelli
G Darren Collison > Seth Curry > David Stockton

> Sac can still go big if they want to but with Kieff & McRoberts at PF, it provides more skill at the 4 with better spacing. Lineups featuring Morris or McRoberts should mean a field day for Cousins with more room to operate.

> McLemore has settled in as a nice low usage role player. He's a solid asset and developing defender.

> Collison is ok at starting PG. I like Curry/Stockton as low cost backups. An overall upgrade is needed but Ty Lawson was already dealt.

>Chalmers is a better as an off-the-ball SG were he can focus on spotting up/slashing & defending. He struggles mightily as a PG unless there's a dominant ball-handler a la LeBron.

>Replacing Gay with Warren & Ennis on the perimeter exchanges a guy who was a bit of slacker (and had little fire) for two hungry prospects in need of opportunity.

I think the team is better balanced. Playoffs in the West are incredibly tough. I see this team as playoffs in the East but likely 45 wins in the West which will still leave them a few games short of the goal. IMO, that may be better than an all-in scenario where your sacrificing a long term asset like Cauley-Stein or McLemore.

Rondo was chosen for his specific fit with what this staff is trying to do. His production doesn't need to resemble what it did on an ill fitting Mavs team.

There are a lot of unknowns. The roster was just renovated itself
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,686

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Remember, please don't comment on any deals until the voting period.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:35 pm

2 trades:

First deal with Jazz and Wolves:

Kings trade: Collison/Butler
Kings receive: Martin/Burke

Wolves trade:Martin
Wolves receive:Butler/2017 GSW 1st

Jazz trade: Burke/2017 GSW 1st
Jazz receive Collison

Wolves get a 1st for Martin, save some payroll this year. Jazz get a PG upgrade to make a playoff push.

2nd deal with Raptors:

Rondo,McLemore, WCS

for

Lowry/Patterson

Raptors bring in some young talent and a stopgap PG. This sets their future up better for a small step back this year.

Kings look like this now:

Boogie/Koufos
Patterson/Koufos
Gay/Casspi
Martin/Belinelli
Lowry/Burke

Biggest concern is Martin's health, but Belinelli is a nice backup so you don't have to overextend him. 3 quality bigs and Patterson provides spacing for Boogie. Lowry is a huge upgrade at PG and this team should be really really good offensively and good enough defensively with strong defenders: Cousins, Koufos, and Lowry and Gay is more than solid himself.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#6 » by loserX » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:41 am

Alright, let's give this a shot. What do the Kings need? A better starting PG (who knows what Rondo will provide any more?), some depth at the 4, and still more shooting wherever they can get it.

Kings trade
Rajon Rondo
Ben McLemore
Caron Butler
David Stockton

Kings receive
Jrue Holiday
Aron Afflalo
Mike Scott

The Kings get ready to roll...the guys they get are gambles but the team doesn't seem to mind that! With so many other assets compromised, gambling is the only way left to add talent. Jrue comes in and takes over at starting PG; he's a health risk but at this point he's better defensively than Rondo and a considerably better shooter. They have to move McLemore in order to get Jrue, so we need to replace him; in comes Aron Afflalo. Came off a tough postseason and was always overrated on D, but he can shoot and is IMHO still a better starter than Belinelli. Mike Scott is coming off (of all things) felony drug charges...but as long as he isn't suspended/in jail for the whole season, this is a great buy-low opportunity to get a stretch 4 for this lineup.

Pelicans trade
Jrue Holiday

[g]Pelicans receive[/b]
Jose Calderon
Ben McLemore
Cleanthony Early

The Pelicans need depth, and stocking with young players around Anthony Davis makes a whole lot of sense. They downgrade from Holiday to Calderon at PG, but between Evans/Gordon/Calderon/McLemore, their guard depth is still fine and Gentry can find a way to make that work. (For all Calderon's warts, he can still pass and shoot a bit. But McLemore is the real get here.)

Knicks trade
Jose Calderon
Aron Afflalo
Cleanthony Early

Knicks receive
Rajon Rondo
Caron Butler

The Knicks drop a year of salary off Calderon (and potentially Afflalo, who has a player option), and all it really costs is Cle Early. Rondo isn't exactly a triangle player, but if there's one place he'll be happy and working hard to produce, it's in the Big Apple with Melo around. The team clears cap next year and doesn't lose face.

Hawks trade
Mike Scott

Hawks receive
David Stockton

The Hawks dump Scott and his legal issues without having to buy him out with guaranteed money.

ROSTER
Cousins/Koufos
Cauley-Stein/Scott/Acy
Gay/Casspi
Afflalo/Belinelli/James Anderson
Holiday/Collison/Seth Curry

This looks much better to me. A decent mix of skill-sets up front, and a little more spacing from the back.

Good luck to all :)
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#7 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:09 am

Really thought I'd be able to come up with something I like more, but:

Kings Out: Rondo, Gay, the lesser of the pick between themselves and Philly
In: Parsons, Walker

Yeah, Kemba's not perfect but he's young, improving hopefully, and likely has more a future than Rondo. Parsons should help the spacing and IMO is a better player than Gay right now. They risk losing the pick swap and just give up whichever they end up with.

Dallas out: Parsons
In: Morris, Tucker

Dallas tries to get Morris to behave under a new staff and some veteran leadership, buying low on a cheap talent and getting a replacement wing

Charlotte out: Walker
In: Rondo, the lesser pick from the Kings and Philly

Charlotte clears some cap space and tries for a new PG in the draft next year. Obviously this is predicated on them having a poor start, and they gamble the Kings/Philly picks are both good and they get a lotto or mid first.

Phoenix Out: Morris, Tucker
In: Gay

Phoenix moves Kieff and upgrades the wing at the same time.

Cousins/Koufos
Cauley-Stein/Acy
Parsons/Casspi
McLemore/Belinelli/James Anderson
Walker/Collison/Seth Curry
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#8 » by spearsy23 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:38 am

Kings out: Rondo
Knicks out: Calderon
Phil didn't want to sign Rondo outright, but here he gets to look at him for only 2 million dollars. For the Kings, I'm a Believer in Collison, he's a perfectly adequate point guard and isn't costing the team. Calderon gives them a solid backup who can hit shots and 'playmakes' the exact same as Rondo. His defense may be abhorrent but my plan is to start Gay at the 4 and have WCS anchoring the back line. Honestly, I believe any team gets better without Rondo.

Kings out: Kosta Koufos, Caron Butler
Heat out: Luol Deng, Tyler Johnson
The Heat make way for Justice Winslow to start post AS break and pick up their long term answer to the Whiteside contract problem, while also getting a vet to play SF until Winslow is ready. The Kings upgrade the wing position on offense and defense and pick up some more shooting.

Kings out: George Karl
Kings in: Scott Brooks
Need a coach who teaches defense, develops youngsters and is too reliant on superstars? The knock on Scotty is that he isn't a championship coach.Right now Sac isn't looking to run, they're still trying to walk, And Brooks will ride Cousins as far as he can take them.

Kings in: Glen Davis
Big body with some skill to replace WCS or Cousins when they are injured.

Lineup of consequence:
Collison/Calderon
Mclemore/Bellineli
Deng/Gay/Bellinelli
Gay/WCS/Acy
Cousins/WCS/Davis

Honestly, I don't think the Kings CAN make the playoffs. No matter what you do they're a worse version of the Pelicans with a less productive star. The improvements are limited to playing style because they don't have the personnel to upgrade.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#9 » by pelifan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:44 am

This one is tough. I'm going to try and do this without Sac bleeding value.

Premise:
Ainge wants WCS and realizes he needs to get out of mediocreville. Cash in on Sully, Zeller before they hits FA. He offered a haul for Winslow. I'm assuming keeping his good picks and getting WCS is gravy.
Toronto wants to shake it up. Get younger pieces and depth.
Kings want playoffs.
Bucks could use a center.
Phx dumps Morris, gets replacements, prospects, pick.

Kings receives:
Kyle Lowry, Morris, PJ Tucker
Send:
Rondo, WCS, McLemore, Casspi

Celtics receives:
Rondo, WCS, Casspi
Send:
IT, Sullinger, Zeller, Jonas Jerebko, RJ Hunter, Minnesota's 2016 first round pick (likely two seconds)

Toronto receives:
IT, Sullinger, McLemore, RJ Hunter
Send:
Lowry, Ross

Bucks send:
Henson
Receive: Zeller

Phx receives:
Henson, Jonas Jerebko, Terrence Ross, 2016 Minnesota first round pick (likely two seconds)
Send:
Morris, PJ Tucker
RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Post#10 » by RealityIsDemar » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:56 am

I honestly have no idea what to do so I'll go big I guess.

Trade 1:

SAC Out: Rudy Gay, Ben McLemore, Marco Bellenelli, Willie Caulley-Stien, 19' 1st
SAC In: Chris Bosh, Evan Turner, Perry Jones

MIA Out: Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers, Chris Anderson
MIA In: Rudy Gay, Ben McLemore, Marco Bellenelli, Jared Sullinger, BRK 16' 1st, SAC 19' 1st

BOS Out: Jared Sullinger, BRK 16' 1st, Evan Turner, Perry Jones
BOS In: Willie Caulley-Stien, Chris Anderson, Mario Chalmers

MIA gets good return for Bosh, they get a young prospect at the 4 to go along with 2 decent wing players as Wade insurance. They also get 2 good 1sts. Boston gets a legit Center for an expiring and the BRK pick. Sacramento gets a tremendous frontcourt partner to Cousins. Is there a better frontcourt then Bosh/Cousins?

Trade 2:

SAC Out: Darren Collison, SA 16' 2nd
SAC In: PJ Tucker, Kontavis Caldwell-Pope

CHI Out: Taj Gibson, E'Twan Moore
CHI In: Darren Collison, Anthony Tolliver, SA 16' 2nd

PHX Out: Markieff Morris, PJ Tucker, 17' 2nd
PHX In: Taj Gibson

DET Out: Kontavis Caldwell-Pope, Anthony Tolliver
DET In: Markieff Morris, E'Twan Moore, PHX 17' 2nd

Sacramento moves Collison for Tucker and Pope to sure up the wing positions. Chicago moves Gibson for a solid backup PG incase Rose goes down, they also got a decent SF/PF who can shoot in Tolliver and a second. Phoenix moves on from Morris but gets value back in Gibson, so they have to move Tucker in the process. Detriot gets Kieff' to pair with Marcus Morris in Detriot.

Final Roster:
Rondo/Curry/Stockton
KCP/Turner/Anderson
Tucker/Butler/Jones
Bosh/Casspi/Acy
Cousins/Koufus/Dukan
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#11 » by brackdan70 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:27 am

Another tough one. I think there is no realistic way to ship out Gay and get better. he was decent last year and is in his prime.
They added a solid defensive backup center in Koufos, I think he is a keeper.
Collison is a really good point guard. He must start and get the bulk of the minutes. Not Rondo
Mclemore is very young and showing that he will be a really good player someday, This year with this challenge he is expendable if you can upgrade.
Bellinini is a nice shooter off the bench but thats about it.
Casspi is....not really a positive, but a big guy who can space a little.
WCS could contribute this year, but if you are going to make the playoffs at all costs he may be the best asset to upgrade.
Also they can't trade a first round pick until 2020

Biggest need is a legit power forward IMO, and second is upgrade SG if you can, but Mclemore / Bellinini will be pretty solid. Its going to take some risky moves to flirt with the playoffs this year.

So here goes....

Trade The Bulls want Insurance for if Rose goes down and Gibson is moveable with Mirotec, Portis and Gasol and Noah all needing some front court minutes.
Rondo / Acy and 2020 first round pick (provided previous obligations to Philly were met in 2018, otherwise 2021 pick) for Taj Gibson and Aaron Brooks. Bulls bite for the unprotected pick even though it is ages away.
Gives the Kings a solid PF who can rebound and play D. and a Vet back up point guard that will be OK in that role and can bring scoring off the bench.

Cousins / Koufos / WCS
Gibson / Casspi
Gay / Butler
McLemore / Bellinini
Collison / Brooks
Sign here
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,935

Post#12 » by Mamba4Goat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:38 am

Sac sends: Rondo, Belli, Gay, future 1st
Sac receives: Bosh, Calderon

NYK sends: Calderon, Galloway
NYK receives: Rondo

Miami sends: Bosh
Miami receives: Gay, Galloway,Belli, future Sac 1st

Why for Sac? Get the perfect PF for Cousins and get to buy somewhat low on him due to him coming off a questionable season.
Why for NY? Get a big name PG who they can take a chance on returning to form, while getting out a year early on Calderon's contract.
Why for Miami? If they want they can play Gay as a stretch four and kinda use him as a very poor man's LeBron while Winslow develops.

Sac sends: WCS
Sac receives: Shabazz and Dieng

Min sends: Bazz, Dieng
Min receives: WCS

Why for Min? Get to roll out a front court of the future with Towns and WCS for two bench pieces.
Why for Sac? Perfectly fill needs.

Afterwards:
Collison/Calderon/Stockton
McLemore/Anderson/Curry
Bazz/Cassipi/Butler
Bosh/Dieng
Cousins/Koufus

Playoff team??

Edit: Also, let's toss in Kostas for Harris and Zaza

So it'd be...

Collison/Calderon/Stockton
McLemore/Harris/Anderson/Curry
Bazz/Cassipi/Butler
Bosh/Dieng
Cousins/Zaza
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#13 » by The Penguin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Did I miss a memo where Rondo could be traded before December?

I'd have to assume Rondo is going to be a part of the team, so it's about maximizing him and Boogie. The tradeable pieces I see are WCS / Collison / McLemore / worse of Sacto-Philly pick in 2017-2018. So we are going to make a godfather offer to a guy who fits both Rondo & Boogie-

WCS / Collison / McLemore / David Stockton / Worse of Sacto-Philly picks in 2017-18

For

Ibaka / Dion Waiters

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p38c6rx

OKC probably doesn't do it, but they get 3-4 very good young pieces (assuming one of the picks turns out good) and end the Waiters headache, so it's something worth considering.

Rondo / (Waiters) / Seth Curry
Belinelli / Waiters
Gay / Butler / Casspi
Ibaka / Acy
Bookie / Koufas

That hopefully provides enough shooting around Rondo/Boogie and gives a rim protector for the inevitable breakdowns from Rondo/Waiters/Belinelli in perimeter defense.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I kinda missed the start of this contest. Do, I need to declare an end date or somthing? (what are the rules/format?)
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Texas Chuck

Post#15 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:04 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I kinda missed the start of this contest. Do, I need to declare an end date or somthing? (what are the rules/format?)

fairly informal really. Give people at least 24 hours to post something if you see no one else posting new ideas then any time after that you can start the voting process.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:07 pm

Fair enough. I'll close it up at 12 midnight Eastern time. We'll start the vote after that.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#17 » by KqWIN » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:24 pm

This is very difficult. I don't think the Kings really need to change personnel, they need to hope that everything goes their way and these risks start to pan out. Many of their pieces can't be traded until December which also makes things difficult. I feel like that rules out a Rondo trade, because if he's playing well, you keep him. If he's not playing well, you can't trade him. You also have to avoid making your competition worse. Dallas, Utah, and PHX have some trades that match, but you want to avoid making them better at all costs. Here's my best go:

Trade 1:

Sac Receives: Wes Matthews
Sac Trades: Ben McLemore, Kostas Koufos

Dallas Receives: Ben Mclemore, Kostas Koufos
Dallas Trades: Wes Matthews

While I applaud Cuban's act of honoring Wes' contract, I don't think he would have given him a max knowing that DJ would not sign. This trade allows him to get out from under that contract, and add a nice young piece in Ben McLemore. Koufos could be flipped for another future asset if need be. Cuban said himself that if he didn't get DJ, he would have tanked. This isn't full on tanking, but it is taking a step back for the meantime.

I really have no idea when his return date is, but I think that by the time he's able to be traded, Wes will be ready to play as well. If he returns to form, and that is a big if, he is a big short term upgrade over Ben. It also drops one competitor out the race.

Trade 2:

Sac Receives: Taj Gibson, Kirk Hinirch
Sac Trades: Darren Collison, Caron Butler, 2020 protected first

Chicago Receives: Darren Collison, Caron Butler, 2020 protected first
Chicago Trades: Taj Gibson, Kirk Hinirch

The Bulls are loaded in the frontcourt, but don't have strong backup for Rose. This is the perfect role for Collison as a high minute backup who will be expected to start a decent amount of games. Sacramento gets Taj to start for them at PF, and Hinrich as a backup for Rondo.

Cousins /WCS
Gibson / Acy
Gay / Casspi
Matthews / Bellineli
Rondo / Hinrich
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#18 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:32 pm

I don't see how the Kings can win with Rondo. I just think he's done. He's lost a step or two, he's never been a shooter and I'm not sure he's capable of adjusting. It's simply tough to excel if your not a great athlete at the position AND you have a broken shot. He only makes spacing worse for DeMarcus. Especially if there planning to play big with Cousins & WCS or Koufos front line. The offense would really bog down as teams would play off Rondo and dare him to shoot. He's not able to use the space anymore to get a head start towards the rim. He's a very easy PG to defend at this stage.
Texas Chuck

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:42 pm

Dat2U wrote:I don't see how the Kings can win with Rondo. I just think he's done. He's lost a step or two, he's never been a shooter and I'm not sure he's capable of adjusting. It's simply tough to excel if your not a great athlete at the position AND you have a broken shot. He only makes spacing worse for DeMarcus. Especially if there planning to play big with Cousins & WCS or Koufos front line. The offense would really bog down as teams would play off Rondo and dare him to shoot. He's not able to use the space anymore to get a head start towards the rim. He's a very easy PG to defend at this stage.

We are discouraging this kind of commentary until after the voting please.

thanks

Chuck
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#20 » by DocRI » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:51 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Sacramento has a new arena, an owner that won't sign off on any cousins trade, and a mandate to make the post season. On the plus side they could care less about character/lockerroom flaws, so you can as well.

Other than Cousins nothing is off limits besides firing the owner. (Can't move team East either)

But I could move them north? Like to Seattle? 'Cuz damn it, the old school fan in me wants to see a Sonics revival!

Before I dive in, I'd like to emphasize what I emphasized in the OP — as I read it, this challenge is to get the Kings into the playoffs THIS SEASON. So i'm going to be bold and sell out to do just that; I don't have to aim for a title or a dynasty, just to finish top eight in the west (although that will probably require about a 20 game improvement!). That means trading with other Western Conference teams is probably a no-no. Also, due to the Kings' pick obligations to both the Bulls and the Sixers, I crossed them off the list as potential trade partners because helping the Kings improve does not behoove those franchises.

So, where to start? From the top down ...

MOVE ONE — FIRE GEORGE KARL, HIRE TOM THIBODEAU
WHY — This ends any and all "Karl vs. Boogie" drama immediately. Say what you will about him running his players into the ground, Thibs has NEVER missed the playoffs in his head coaching career, so if I give him talented enough of a roster, he'll get them over the hump and into the postseason promised land (hence accomplishing this challenge). Most importantly, he's got ties and a previous relationship with both Cousins (Team USA) and Rondo (Celtics); seeing as I don't think Rondo is tradable at this point, I need a coach who he trusts and will get the absolutely most out of him.

TRADE #1 —

SAC OUT: Kosta Koufos & Darren Collison
SAC IN: Tristan Thompson (S&T, 4 years, $17.5M per season, PO after year 3)
WHY: Because Cousins' range extends to ~20 feet, so spacing shouldn't be a big issue (but more on that in a moment). And I actually think Thompson's contract demands and the situation in CLE have made him underrated; no, he doesn't deserve a max contract to back up Kevin Love and only play 20 minutes a game, but he's a damn good young PF coming off a really solid postseason. This move also takes pressure off of WCS (but more on that in a moment, too). Thompson reportedly wants a "max or near max" deal, so I'm hoping $17.5M per, with a player option year 3, is close enough.

CLE OUT: Tristan Thompson (S&T, 4 years, $17.5M per season, PO after year 3)
CLE IN: Kosta Koufos & Darren Collison
WHY: Get something for Thompson before he walks next year for nothing, and I happen to think Darren Collison is more than just "something" — considering Kyrie's injury history, Collison provides the Cavs both spectacular insurance and a dynamic 6th man. Plus, Koufos is locked in on a reasonable contract and provides a fair semblance of what they'd ask out of Thompson (first big man off the bench) at about $10M per year cheaper.

TRADE #2 —

SAC OUT: Omri Caspi, Caron Butler, James Anderson & Quincy Acy
SAC IN: Channing Frye & Shabazz Napier
WHY: To me, with the trade I just made for Thompson, this is the quintessential "lose the trade on paper, win the trade on the court" deal. Pure expirings for Frye and Napier? Am I nuts? Well, yes. But after the last deal I feel the Kings need: A) another backup PG; and B) more shooting / spacing, especially in the form of a stretch big man. And as I wrote above, this takes a TON of pressure of WCS, who can now do what he does well and always be paired with another big man who can shoot (Cousins or Frye). So I overpay to get what I need. Because again, it's playoffs this year or bust!

ORL OUT: SAC IN: Channing Frye & Shabazz Napier
ORL IN: Omri Caspi, Caron Butler, James Anderson & Quincy Acy
WHY: Conversation in the Magic's war room — "Wait, the Kings just offered us pure expirings for Frye if we throw in Napier, even after we just signed Watson to be our primary backup PG? Is it April 1st? Why the heck are they offering to help us out like that? Well quick, don't look a gift horse in the mouth; accept it and call the league!"

KINGS FINAL DEPTH CHART:
PG: Rondo / Napier / Curry / Stockton
SG: McLemore / Belineli
SF: Gay / Minimum Vet FA Pick Ups
PF: Thompson / Frye
C: Cousins / WCS
HC: Thibodeau

RESULT — With Thibs at the helm, I believe that Kings team finishes ahead of DAL, DEN, LAL, MIN, PHX & POR and competes with NO & UTAH for the final two Western Conference playoffs spots.

*** EDIT — CRAP!!! Just noticed a major flaw in my proposal — Koufos can't be traded until 12/15, which means Thompson would have to hold out and not sign his QO until then for that S&T to go down. I won't remove my submission from consideration because I think it's still technically possible, but let me be the first to acknowledge how unrealistic that is.

Return to Trades and Transactions