Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#41 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:21 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:
Lots of teams have picked high in the draft for years without the product on the court ever improving. So as to not insult anyone I'll use my Mavs as an example who had mid to high lotto picks for a decade without ever improving until they finally drafted Jason Kidd and he came in and immediately moved them from absolutely dreadful to merely bad. Then of course we traded him.... But first we picked Samaki Walker and Cherokee Parks and Randy White and....

But lots of teams have picked high in the lottery for years and years and never improved. A pile of draft picks is really nice, but is certainly no gte of anything.

And I'm not disputing that Hinkie won't use his $10 mil in cap space. I just don't think that a future OKC pick outweighs keeping that space open for a point guard. The Sixers probably have four first-round picks next June counting their own (the Lakers pick being the crown jewel) and the possibility of swapping their own pick with Sacramento.

Do they need another? My sense is that he's not tanking this year and will only use that cap space, if it's for a pick, to get something mid-range (12 to 15 pick).

Just an opinion.

Agreed. Taking a bad contract to swap to a late lottery from the MIA pick sounds more like what could happen.

That sounds a lot more like wishful thinking, and what would be the ideal versus what is likely to happen. What lottery team is moving back to dump a contract?
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#42 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:37 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
And I'm not disputing that Hinkie won't use his $10 mil in cap space. I just don't think that a future OKC pick outweighs keeping that space open for a point guard. The Sixers probably have four first-round picks next June counting their own (the Lakers pick being the crown jewel) and the possibility of swapping their own pick with Sacramento.

Do they need another? My sense is that he's not tanking this year and will only use that cap space, if it's for a pick, to get something mid-range (12 to 15 pick).

Just an opinion.

Agreed. Taking a bad contract to swap to a late lottery from the MIA pick sounds more like what could happen.

That sounds a lot more like wishful thinking, and what would be the ideal versus what is likely to happen. What lottery team is moving back to dump a contract?

A team that wants to make a legit run at Durant
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#43 » by hookshot199 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:45 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:

Just an opinion.

My point, Hartford, is that there's no reason to take on additional salary help a competitor avoid paying luxury tax. We already lucked out with Stauskas. There could be a reason to take on Chalmers' salary. But who knows if Chalmers is even on Hinkie's radar screen.
HartfordWhalers

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#44 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:Agreed. Taking a bad contract to swap to a late lottery from the MIA pick sounds more like what could happen.

So, you have a team that is already a lotto team, that wants to drop multi year salary, and that thinks they have a shot at Durant? Oh, and the team obviously has to have its draft pick.

I would love to see that list.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#45 » by bondom34 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:10 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

So, you have a team that is already a lotto team, that wants to drop multi year salary, and that thinks they have a shot at Durant? Oh, and the team obviously has to have its draft pick.

He's going to Denver. Book it.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#46 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:11 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

Were not gonna know until a team with lofty expectations underachieves.
HartfordWhalers

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#47 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:A team that wants to make a legit run at Durant

And then that underacheiving team will decide to dump salary (and a lotto pick) to get more attractive for Durant?

That sounds exactly like "wishful thinking, and what would be the ideal versus what is likely to happen."
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#48 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:48 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

And then that underacheiving team will decide to dump salary (and a lotto pick) to get more attractive for Durant?

That sounds exactly like "wishful thinking, and what would be the ideal versus what is likely to happen."

To afford Durant not to become more attractive for him.
HartfordWhalers

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#49 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:Were not gonna know until a team with lofty expectations underachieves.

So, what teams make that list of dumping a lotto pick for Durant? Not OKC or Philly. Not NYK or Brooklyn (no picks)...
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#50 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

So, what teams make that list of dumping a lotto pick for Durant? Not OKC or Philly. Not NYK or Brooklyn (no picks)...

Toronto, Washington if Wall got hurt or something, Phoenix loves to chase everyone, Clips if they had a catastrophic season, Atlanta, Chicago if Rose got hurt and Pau had a drop off, Houston if Harden went down for the year, there are plenty.
HartfordWhalers

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#51 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:43 pm

Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:To afford Durant not to become more attractive for him.

Toronto, Washington if Wall got hurt or something, Phoenix loves to chase everyone, Clips if they had a catastrophic season, Atlanta, Chicago if Rose got hurt and Pau had a drop off, Houston if Harden went down for the year, there are plenty.

So, lets break down this.

Washington already has space, and is the one likely team on that list.
Phx will have space also.
Toronto as a serious destination and one that would blow up there team 6 months beforehand is really silly.
LAC cannot offer a max contract with their big 3, and the idea of them trading Redick and Pierce to get close and tank the season as a way to impress Durant is beyond far.
Houston being in the lotto and dumping what Ariza and Brewer and maybe Beverly?

Listen, I thought I was being really polite just saying wishful thinking, and the more I look at what you didn't think deserved taht label, the more I agree.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#52 » by Sportfan73 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:52 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Sportfan73 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:

So, lets break down this.

Washington already has space, and is the one likely team on that list.
Phx will have space also.
Toronto as a serious destination and one that would blow up there team 6 months beforehand is really silly.
LAC cannot offer a max contract with their big 3, and the idea of them trading Redick and Pierce to get close and tank the season as a way to impress Durant is beyond far.
Houston being in the lotto and dumping what Ariza and Brewer and maybe Beverly?

Listen, I thought I was being really polite just saying wishful thinking, and the more I look at what you didn't think deserved taht label, the more I agree.

But this is all in hypothetical situations that the team was out of the playoff race because of injury.
HartfordWhalers

Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#53 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:08 pm

So, if we are relying on a hypothetical were we need something like Toronto, to be injured, in the lotto, and convinced they should clear cap space now for their likely Durant run, even if it costs a lotto pick; wouldn't there be other teams also willing to trade with them? After all, they don't even need cap space, just expirings.

I guess there is a point at which you can take an unlikely hypothetical, stretch it to more unlikely, then add on absurdity as a mental exercise. But to base decisions around that seems piss poor management.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,633

Re: Hinkie: Sixers heavily involved in trade conversations 

Post#54 » by yosemiteben » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re:

Return to Trades and Transactions